Brazil - Obtain a Certificate of Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The couple should go to a notary and submit an application for authorization of marriage, duly signed, together with the required documents. After these formalities, the officer then grants an Authorization Certificate.
- The date and place of marriage must be assigned in advance by the presiding authority for the ceremony to be held at the Registry Office (in the presence of at least two witnesses).
- If the parties wish, the civil marriage ceremony can take place in another building, public or private (with witnesses), provided there is consent from the signing authority. In this case, the registry book must be signed by the couple, the witnesses and the official secretary. To complete the process, the marriage certificate is then issued.
- Stable unions are recognized by the Constitution of 1988. Law No. 9278 of 1996, which regulates the constitution article dealing with this item, provides that the assets acquired subsequently by one or both partners, should belong to both. Under the Law, any couple who wish to convert a stable union into a marriage can do so through an application at the office closest to the place of residence.
- Birth certificate or similar document. Foreign citizens must present a passport or RNE (Foreigner I.D.) as well as identification documents;
- If applicable, a written consent of the interested parties who have legal dependence, or any judicial act which may replace it.
- A statement of two witnesses, either adult relatives or not, confirming that they know the couple and there is no impediment against the marriage;
- Declaration of marital status, current address of both parties and also their parents, if known, and
- If applicable, the former spouse's certificate of the Declaration of Death, nullity or annulment of marriage or divorce.
- The notary officer will then prepare the marriage authorization, which, after a hearing at the Public Prosecutor's Office will be later confirmed by a judge.
Office Locations & Contacts
The couple - Brazilian or foreign - must go to a notary. The civil marriage ceremony can take place at the notary office itself or in another public or private building, as desired by the parties and under consent of the officiating authority.
The marriage certificate should be requested only by the spouses.
Regarding the marriage process (authorization for issuance of a Marriage Certificate), all costs related to the procedures shall be paid by the interested parties. However, the Brazilian Civil Code provides that in the case of persons who are declared as poor, the marriage authorization, as well as the registration and the first place certificate must be free.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
The Marriage Certificate grants full communion of life, based on equal rights and duties. It cannot be requested by a person who is already married, because the Brazilian Civil Code establishes the principle of monogamy (according to which every citizen can have only one spouse at any time).
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.