Brazil - Obtain a Birth Certificate
Getting a Birth Certificate is the first step towards the full exercise of citizenship. For brazilians, it is the document that proves the person is alive, showing his place and date of birth and the names of his parents and grandparents.
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Getting a Birth Certificate is fast and easy. When released from hospitals, babies should already have a first and a last name.
- If the child is born in a hospital or in a maternity ward, parents receive a copy of the DN (Statement of Live Birth), which should be addressed to the Notary Public Office for the register of Births, Marriage and Deaths. If the child is born at home, the parents or the person responsible for his registering can go straight to a Notary Public Office.
- The child must be registered within 15 days after birth. Yet, if parents live more than 30 miles from the closest Office, the child can be registered within three months after birth. If the child is going to be registered by the mother, the deadline is extended by 45 days.
- The registration must be obtained by the child's father. In case he can’t, the mother must do it. Here follows a priority order which, depending on the case, establishes who should register the child:
- Closest relative
- Officers of the hospital where the child was born
- Doctors and midwives who attended the birth
- Reputable person who lived in the house where the birth occurred (in case the mother didn't deliver at home)
Ads by Google
- If parents are married, they must appear in a Notary Public Office with the Certificate of Marriage and two witnesses over the age of 21.
- If parents are not married, one of them or both should appear in the Notary Public Office with the Registration Number or the Certificate of Birth and two witnesses over the age of 21. In this case, the Certificate of Birth will only show the father’s name if he states he is the child’s father or gives a written authorization.
- If parents are below the age of 16, they should appear in a Notary Office with the baby’s grandparents or a person over the age of 21. The documents needed for registration are the same as mentioned above.
Every Brazilian citizen has the right to get a Birth Certificate, and that’s why it is issued at no cost by Notary Public Offices. If a citizen needs a second copy, he might be charged for it. If he cannot afford it, he must declare it in written. If he is an illiterate, he can ask someone to draft it for him. In both cases, the declaration must be signed by two witnesses.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
One can get a Birth Certificate at any Notary Public Office, preferably one that is close to the place of birth.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.