Barbados - Register a Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicants must make arrangements with the Marriage Officer or Magistrate who they wish to perform the marriage.
- After the arrangement has been done, the Marriage Officer or Clerk to the Magistrate provides the parties to the marriage with a letter to be presented at the time when making an application for a marriage licence.
- The marriage license must be presented to the Clerk of the Court.
- Marriage is then registered and a fully completed duplicate original Marriage record - Marriage Card will be produced or obtained.
- An original or certified copy of applicants' birth certificate
- Valid passport if the parties are non-resident Identification cards of applicants
- A certified copy of the marriage certificate and death certificate in respect of the deceased spouse - if either party was married previously and widowed,
- An original Decree Absolute or a certified copy of Final Judgement if either party was divorced. Note: If the document is in a Foreign Language, the document must be translated and certified by an authorized Notary Public.
- Additional requirements:
- Persons who have been granted Barbadian citizenship either by descent or registration, immigrant status or permanent residence, are required to produce the original document issued by the Immigration Department of Barbados or the passport in which the relevant information has been stamped.
- Non-nationals who have been granted work permits must produce the passport showing that a work permit was issued to them, or the relevant document issued by the Immigration Department.
Office Locations & Contacts
The Registrar of the Supreme Court of Barbados
Telephone: +1 (246)-426-3461
Fax: +1 (246)-426-2405
Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Foreign Trade
1 Culloden Road,
Telephone: (246) 431-2200
Fax: (246) 429-6652 / (246) 228-0838
- Barbadian citizens must be of legal age.
- Barbadian minors between the age of 16 and 18 must obtained consent from parents and both parents must be present at the time of application.
- Where either party is a citizen of Barbados: $45.00 and $10.00 in postage stamps
- Where neither party is a citizen of Barbados: $150.00 and $25.00 in postage stamps
- Where a Magistrate is performing the marriage the following fees must be paid to the Court on receipt of the Marriage Licence
- Where either party is a citizen of Barbados: $50.00
- Where neither party is a citizen of Barbados: $150.00
- Marriage to be performed away from the Court
- Where either party is a citizen of Barbados: $75.00
- Where neither party is a citizen of Barbados: $250.00
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Marriage must be registered within the first ten (10) days of every month.
- All marriages are registered at the Registration Department, Coleridge Street, Bridgetown.
- Marriage licenses can be obtained from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Post Office Complex, Cheapside. St. Michael.
- The Marriage Officer and the Magistrate who performs the marriage is responsible to register the marriage.
- Place of marriage
- Date of marriage
- Name and Surname of the husband
- Name and Maiden Name of the wife
- Age of the husband
- Age of the wife
- Marital status of husband and wife
- Addresses of husband and wife - present addresses (foreign addresses are not allowed)
- Occupation of husband
- Occupation of wife
- Name and occupation of husbands father
- Name and occupation of wifes father
- Signatures of husband and wife
- Signatures of witnesses
- Signature of Marriage Officer or Magistrate
Need for the Document
Every couple who wishes to be married in Barbados should register their marriage.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Barbados Supreme Court: http://www.lawcourts.gov.bb/Marriage.html
More information which might help people.