Barbados - Register a Birth
Registering the birth of a child is a legal requirement. If your child's birth is not registered, you will not be able to obtain a birth certificate of your child.
The following can register a birth:
- The parents of a child are responsible for having the child’s birth registered.
- If the parents are married to each other the father registers the birth.
- If the parents are not married to each other the mother registers the birth.
- If the parents are not married to each other and the father acknowledges paternity and is desirous of having his name entered on the birth record both parents must be present at the registration of the birth.
Ads by Google
- A birth must be registered within twenty-eight (28) days after birth.
- If a child is born in Barbados, whether alive of Stillborn, the birth must be registered.
- The Registrar may also register a birth that occurred on an aircraft or ship traveling to Barbados in certain circumstances.
- Births are registered in the district where the birth occurred.
- When registering a birth of a child, accurate information must be given to avoid any problems at a later date.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Visit the Registration Department, Records Branch, located on Coleridge Street, Bridgetown between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:30 pm Monday to Friday.
- Present the required documents stated below during the visit.
- Register the name of the child. The child's name must be spelled correctly.
- All questions asked by the registrar must be answered.
- The applicant must carefully check and ensure that all the information given is accurate and correct before signing.
Ads by Google
- The Personal Child Health Record given by the hospital which records particulars on the baby's birth
- A Marriage Certificate: Where the parents are married
- The applicant's Barbados Identification Card or other valid form of identification
- If the applicant is a Non-National the Passport should be presented
Where the parent is a Minor, documents to be presented are:
- The Minor's Identification Card
- A Passport Size Picture certified by a Justice of the Peace
- A Birth Certificate OR a Passport
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
A birth certificate is available after 2 working days after the registration of the birth and on payment of the required fee.
Agency Head: Ms. Maureen Crane-Scott
Street: Coleridge Street
Parish: St. Michael
Telephone #: 426-3461
Fax #: 426-2405
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The Vital Statistics Registration Act Cap 191A of the Laws of Barbados provides penalties for failing to have your child’s birth registered or for giving false or misleading information.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
How to Register a Birth: http://www.lawcourts.gov.bb/Birth.html
Registering a Live Birth: http://www.gov.bb/bigportal/big/howdois/showHowDoI.php?file=regbirth.xml
More information which might help people.