Barbados - Obtain a Marriage License
Following is a procedure on how to apply for a marriage license.
Persons under age sixteen (16) years cannot be legally married in Barbados.
Applicants between the ages of sixteen (16) and eighteen (18) years, must obtain the consent of both parents and both parents must be present at the time of application. Failing this, a Judge in Barbados, on application being made to him, may exercise his discretion to dispense with consent.
Persons eighteen (18) years of age and older do not require parental consent.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Make arrangements with the Marriage Officer or Magistrate who will perform the marriage.
- Obtain a letter from the Marriage Officer or Clerk to the Magistrate which you must present when you submit your application for a Marriage Licence.
- Marriage Licences are obtained from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Post Office Complex, Cheapside. St. Michael.
- Complete and submit an application form along with all other required documents.
Note: Applications for marriage licences must be made between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday -Friday.
Ads by Google
Documents you will need submit to obtain a Marriage Licence:
- An original or certified copy of applicants' birth certificate or if the parties are non-resident a valid passport and Barbados Identification cards must be submitted.
- If either party was married previously and widowed, a certified copy of the marriage certificate and death certificate in respect of the deceased spouse.
- If either party was divorced, an original Decree Absolute or a certified copy of Final Judgment. If the document is in a Foreign Language, the document must be translated and certified by an authorized Notary Public.
- For Non-Nationals:
- Persons who have been granted Barbadian citizenship - either by descent or registration, immigrant status or permanent residence, are required to produce the original document issued by the Immigration Department of Barbados or the passport in which the relevant information has been stamped.
- A non-national who has been granted a work permit must produce the passport showing that a work permit was issued, or the relevant document issued by the Immigration Department.
- If neither party is a citizen or resident of Barbados the fees are BDD $200.00 cash and a BDD $25.00 stamp
- If either party is a citizen or resident of Barbados the fees are BDD $45.00 cash and a BDD $10.00 stamp
A marriage may be solemnized immediately after the issue of the licence.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Ministry of Home Affairs
Level Five, General Post Office Building, Cheapside,
Telephone: (246) 228 – 8950
Fax: (246) 437 – 3794
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.