Barbados - Obtain Certification of Animals (Pets) for Export
Owners of pet animals being taken from Barbados to other countries must first obtain a Veterinary Health Export Certificate for their pets. This certificate is being issued by Veterinary Services under the The Ministry of Agriculture of Barbados.
Following are procedures on how you can obtain such certificate.
Pets include dogs, cats, caged birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, turtles, tortoises.
Note: For species not mentioned above, you may contact Veterinary Services for further information.
Ads by Google
Before applying for a Veterinary Health Export Certificate, applicants must contact first the Veterinary Authority of the destination country to find out the regulations and requirements for the animal's entry into that country.
Fulfil all conditions needed for you to bring your pet into the destination country. Some of these are done by private veterinarians and may include microchipping and vaccination as well as treatment for internal and external parasites. The attending veterinarian may also complete part of the documentation (e.g. for the UK).
If you are considering exporting exotic animals (certain species of birds and reptiles), please contact the Natural Heritage Department of the Ministry of Environment, Water Resources and Drainage for additional information. You may also ask the Department for the list animals that is considered exotic.
For pets entering the following countries:
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- After you have secured all documents you will need to bring your pet into the destination country, please contact the Veterinary Services to make an appointment with the on-duty Government veterinarian to certify that the animal is fit to travel and that all the conditions of the Import Permit of the destination country have been satisfied. This is usually done within 72 hours of scheduled travel.
- On the day of your appointment, bring the animal(s) and travel documents to the Veterinary Services Department at The Pine, St. Michael.
- Pay the application fee. Payments must be made in cash (Barbados currency) at the Veterinary Services office at the time of the appointment.
- Once the animal has been examined and has been found to meet all the requirements of the destination country and the fees have been paid, the Government veterinarian will complete the necessary areas of the travel documents and the Veterinary Health Export Certificate will be issued. The Veterinary Health Export Certificate must accompany the animal throughout its journey.
Ads by Google
- Your pet or the animal(s) travel documents
- For each dog, cat or batch of 3 or less caged birds: BDS$30.00
- Batch of 4 or more caged birds: BDS $35.00
- Other animals: BDS $35.00
- Payments must be made in cash (Barbados currency) at the Veterinary Services office at the time of the appointment.
- Credit card payment is currently unavailable, and personal cheques are no longer accepted.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Veterinary Services and Veterinary Services Laboratory
St. Michael, BB11091
Telephone: (246) 427-5492 or (246) 427-5073
Veterinary Services: (246) 429-2143
Veterinary Services Laboratory: (246) 426-7517
Veterinary Services: email@example.com
Veterinary Services Laboratory: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Natural Heritage Department
Ministry of Environment, Water Resources and Drainage
No. 1 Sturges
P.O. Box T25
St. Thomas BB22022
Telephone: (246) 438-7761
Fax: (246) 438-7767
E-mail: heritage @ barbados.gov.bb
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Ministry of Agriculture - Barbados Website:
More information which might help people.