Barbados - Apply for Learner Driver License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Go to the Barbados Licensing Authority to apply for a learner's permit.
- Complete an application form.
- Submit the completed form along with a photo ID such as a passport or Barbados Identification Card, 3 passport-sized photos and other required documents.
- Sit in and pass the Regulation/Theory Test.
- Pay the relevant fee before receiving the permit.
- Completed application form
- A photo ID such as a passport or Barbados Identification Card, proof of age and residence
- Three passport-sized photos
- Declaration of medical fitness
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry Of Transport and Works
Pine East-West Boulevard
- Citizens or residents of Barbados
- Minimum age: 16 years old
Note: The minor's parents or guardian must give their consent.
Driving Licence and Permit Fees:
- Theory Test : $30.00
- First issue of permit (valid for six months) : $80.00
- Renewal of permit for three months : $35.00
- Visitors permit : $10.00 for less than two months
- Visitors Permit : $100.00 for two months and over and up to a maximum of one year.
- Driving Licence Renewal for one year : $50
- Driving Licence Renewal for three years : $125.00
- Driving Licence Renewal for five years : $200.00
- With effect from January 2010 persons 65 years and over will pay $25 per year for renewal of driving licences
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Apply for learner's permit from the Barbados Licensing Authority.
A Regulation/Theory Test must be successfully completed before the applicant can obtain a permit.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A Driving Licence is an official document certifying that the holder is suitably qualified to drive a motor vehicle or vehicles.
Before you can apply for a driving licence, you will need to obtain a learner's permit first. The permit will allow you to practice driving before taking the practical driving test.
Information which might help
Learning how to drive:
Once you obtain a learner's permit, you may now start practicing how to drive. Remember that you must be accompanied at all times by a licensed driver who has three years or more experience of driving the class of vehicle which the learner is driving and must display L signs conspicuously placed on the back and front of the vehicle. The L sign must not be displayed while the learner is not driving the vehicle.
The driving test will usually be taken within three months from the time the learner's permit was issued. Upon passing the driving test, you may obtain a license by applying on the prescribed form and paying the relevant licence fee.
Foreign driver's license holders: A Barbadian who has obtained a licence abroad, or a new resident who holds a valid foreign licence, may apply for a Barbados driving licence from the Licensing Authority by submitting an application in the prescribed form and paying the relevant fee. A test may be required at the discretion of the Licensing Authority.
Visitors and Temporary Residents: If you hold a valid driving licence issued by the traffic authorities in your country of normal residence, you may apply for a temporary driving permit by applying to:
- The Licensing Authority offices at The Pine, St. Michael, Oistins in Christ Church and Holetown in St. James
- At any approved hired car agency.
There is a fee for the permit, which will be valid for one year or until the expiry of the applicants driving licence, whichever is the shorter time.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Ministry of Transport and Works, Barbados:
More information which might help people.