Barbados - Apply for Driver License
Driving license is a document authorizing the bearer to drive a motor vehicle.
Citizens or residents of Barbados who are at least 16 years old may obtain a Learner's Licence for private motor vehicles (if the applicant's parents or guardians give their consent). This is not a permanent licence.
If you are at least 18 years of age you may apply for a permanent licence to drive a private motor vehicle.
A person who is at least 20 years old can obtain a Licence for driving a commercial vehicle.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Full Name of Applicant
- Address of Applicant
- Date of birth of Applicant
- Proceed to the Ministry of Transport and Works which is located at Pine East-West Boulevard, St. Michael.
- A Regulation/Theory Test must be successfully completed before the applicant can apply for the permit.
- The applicant must supply a photo ID such as a passport or Barbados Identification Card and three passport-sized photos before sitting the Theory Test and paying the relevant fee before receiving the permit.
- The driving test will usually be taken within three months of the permit application being granted. A candidate on passing the driving test may obtain a licence by applying on the prescribed form and paying the relevant licence fee.
- A learner driver must be accompanied at all times by a licensed driver who has three years or more experience of driving the class of vehicle which the learner is driving and must display “L” signs conspicuously placed on the back and front of the vehicle. The “L” sign must not be displayed while the learner is not driving the vehicle.
Ads by Google
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
- Theory Test : $30.00
- First issue of permit (valid for six months) : $80.00
- Renewal of permit for three months : $35.00
- Visitors permit : $10.00 for less than two months
- Visitors Permit : $100.00 for two months and over and up to a maximum of one year.
- Driving Licence Renewal for one year : $50
- Driving Licence Renewal for three years : $125.00
- Driving Licence Renewal for five years : $200.00
- With effect from January 2010 persons 65 years and over will pay $25 per year for renewal of driving licences
- There is a fee of $50.00 for vehicle investigations (when vehicles are off the road).
- Bicycles - 25.00
- Regulation Tests - 30.00
- Highway Codes - 20.00
- Conductor Badges - 80.00
- Private Service Vehicle Badges - 70.00
- Tariff Cards - 10.00
- Limited Trade Plates(per pair) - 190.00
- Provisional License Plates - 25.00
- Special Permits - 25.00
- Weight Certificates - 25.00
- Vehicle Inspections - 100.00
- Road Worthy Certificates - 25.00
- Vehicle Investigations(new) - 50.00
- Driving License Permits - 80.00
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
The Ministry of Transport and Works is located at Pine East-West Boulevard, St. Michael.
The Ministry has thirteen depots These are at:
- Bagatelle, St. Thomas;
- Bath, St. John;
- Belleplaine, St. Andrew;
- Chance Hall, St. Lucy;
- Deacon’s Farm, St. Michael,
- Golden Ridge, St. George;
- Joe’s River ( which services St. Joseph and is located at Haggatt’s St. Andrew);
- Prince Road, St. Michael;
- South Point, Christ Church;
- Prospect, St. James;
- Jerusalem, St. Peter;
- Richmond, St. Michael; and
- Six Roads, St. Philip.
Minister - The Honourable John Boyce, MP
Permanent Secretary - Mr. Lionel Nurse
Chief Technical Officer - Mr. Frank Thornhill
Ministry Of Transport and Work
Pine East-West Boulevard, St. Michael, Barbados
Please follow the link for more information
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.