Bahamas - Obtain a Dog License Application
A dog license is required in some jurisdictions to be the keeper of a dog. Usually a dog-license identifying number is issued to the owner, along with a dog tag bearing the identifier and a contact number for the registering organization. Licensing your dog is a simple way of ensuring it can come home. The process for applying for a dog license is shown below.
Must be an owner of a dog. (citizen or visitor)
Ads by Google
- Dogs that roam from home risk being impounded and running up a high bill for their stay.
- If a dog is found to be a nuisance and is picked up by the police or the Animal Control Unit, owners can face a fine of $100.00 or imprisonment for twenty days.
- Funds collected by Treasury Department on behalf of the department of Agriculture.
- If no one claims a dog after 4 days it will be put down.
- All dogs (three months and over) in The Bahamas should have a dog license. This license can be issued annually or on a periodic basis. There is a penalty of BS$40.00 for any unlicensed dog. Three types of licenses are issued:
- Males Spayed or Unspayed
- Females Spayed
- Female Unspayed
- Owner's Name
- Mailing Address
- Telephone Number (Home and Work)
- Breed of Dog
- Dog Name
- Sex, Age, Color
- Date and Renewal Date
- License Number
- Transfer of Owner and Address
- The applicant makes a request for the type of dog license at the Revenue Collection section of the Treasury Department and pays the relevant fee.
- The applicant’s information is entered into the Cash Receipting System by the Clerk.
- A receipt is issued and stamped with the treasury date stamp and initialed.
- The applicant is issued a dog tag license with a license number.
Note: Dog owners in the Family Islands can apply for dog licenses either at the Administrator’s Offices or at the Treasury Department in Abacore or Freeport.
Application Form for Dog License link:
Ads by Google
- Proven written verification provided by a licensed veterinarian
- Dog's rabies vaccination certificate
- New Providence
- Males Spayed or Unspayed BS$2.00
- Females Spayed BS$2.00
- Female Unspayed BS$6.00
- Family Islands Fee
- Males Spayed or Unspayed BS 25cents
- Females Spayed BS 25cents
- Female Unspayed BS 50cents
The full amount of the fee should be paid up to July 1st.
For licenses issued after July 1st, only half the fee is to be paid.
The dog license expires on December 31st after the issue date. All licenses must be renewed on the first day of January each year.
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Within 24 hours of application
Revenue Collection Section
1st Floor (North East Wing)
Cor. East Street & North Place
P.O. Box N-7524
Tel. (242) 322-4561
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.