Bahamas - Apply for MedCard
This procedure provides you information about how to apply for a MedCard in The Bahamas.
Persons with insufficient means to follow through with medical treatment recommended by a physician.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since January 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- The applicant visits the Health Social Services (HSS) Division of the Department of Social Services/Princess Margaret Hospital(PMH) and makes a request.
- An interview is conducted with the applicant.
- A financial needs assessment is then conducted.
- Based on the outcome of the assessment, a recommendation is made either to receive a MedCard or receive financial assistance.
Note: Family Island Social Services Office may assess and refer clients; however, MedCard is only issued from the HSS/PMH Office.
Ads by Google
- A requisition and letter of referral from the attending physician at Princess Margaret Hospital.
- Copy of the prescription.
- Government issued photo identification (e.g. valid passport, driver’s licence, voter’s card).
There are no fees associated with this service.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
MedCard – same day
Financial Assistance: 7-14 days on average
Emergency financial assistance: 2-3 days
Ministry of Social Services & Community Development
P.O. Box N- 3206
J.F.K. & Bethel Ave.
Nassau, New Providence
Tel. (242) 323-7814/5
Fax: (242) 325-1920
Department of Social Services
P.O. Box: 1545
Clarence Bain Building
Tel. (242) 326-0451/326-0526
Fax: (242) 323-8672
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other information which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.