Argentina - Register a Death
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Go to a local Civil Registry Office. Bring along the required documents.
- Present and submit the documents.
- Register the death by completing a form.
- All paperworks must be submitted and signed by the Civil Registry before permission is granted to bury the body.
- If the deceased is to be buried in another location, copies of the paperwork are required by the civil registry in the desired resting place.
- If there's a mistake in the registration of the death or supporting documentation has not been supplied, there is often a small charge. In the absence of supporting documentation, the municipality requires two people with identification that knew the deceased well to sign a declaration form.
- IED certificate issued by the doctor that pronounced the death (Informe Estadstico de Defuncin)
- Passport or national identity document (Documento Nacional de Identidad - DNI) of the deceased
- An affidavit (declaration jurada) signed by a relative or a funeral home (funeraria) confirming the personal data of the deceased along with documental proof. This includes:
- Date and place of birth, and parent's names - birth certificate
- Marital status - marriage certificate or death certificate of spouse if a widow/er
- Death certificate (Certificado de defuncin)
- The identification number of the person or funeral home registering the death
Office Locations & Contacts
Registro Provincial de las Personas
Calle 1 N 1342 esq. 60
(1900) La Plata
Tel: +54 (0221) 429-6200
Email: Departamento de Relaciones con la Comunidad
Relative or friend of the deceased.
There is no fee in registering a death. However, administrative fee must be paid in order to obtain the burial permit (licencia de inhumacin).
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- If a death occurs among a family, the friend or relative of the deceased must contact the doctor who certifies the death.
- If death occurs in suspicious circumstances or it is that of a stranger it should be reported to the police (Tel: 101).
- A doctor issues a death certificate (Certificado de defuncin) and an Informe Estadstico de Defuncin (IED) certificate. The IED contains information on the date of death and is used for statistical purposes only.
- To find a local Registry Office, click on the link: http://registronacional.com/registrocivil/registrocivil.php?w=registrocivil.gov.ar.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Death in Argentina must be registered to the local Civil Registry within two (2) working days. Following is the procedure on how to register a death.
Information which might help
For information from the Buenos Aires government on registration of a death in Argentina: http://buenosaires.angloinfo.com/redirect/url/www.gob.gba.gov.ar/registro/tramites/defunciones.php
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Death Registration: http://buenosaires.angloinfo.com/information/healthcare/death-dying/
More information which might help people.