Andhra Pradesh - How to Register a Marriage
A marriage which has already been solemnised can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable in cases where both the husband and the wife are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, or in cases where they have converted into any of these religions. In case either the husband or the wife or both are not Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, the marriage is registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. Further, the marriage can be solemnised between any two persons under the provisions of the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
The bridegroom and the bride must have completed 21 years and 18 years of age respectively.
Ads by Google
- Office of the Additional-Divisional Magistrate(ADM) in whose jurisdiction either the husband or the wife resides.
- All Sub-Registrars are Registrars of Marriages under the Hindu Marriage Act and Marriage Officers under the Special Marriage Act. The party has to go to the Sub-Registrar's Office in the local area.
- The Hindu Marriage Act,1955 is applicable only to the Hindus, whereas the Special Marriage Act,1954 is applicable to all citizens of India.
- The Hindu Marriage Act provides for the registration of an already solemnized marriage. It does not provide for solemnization of a marriage by the Registrar.
- Parties to the marriage have to apply to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction the marriage is solemnized or to the Registrar in whose jurisdiction either party to the marriage has been residing for at least six months immediately preceding the date of marriage.
- Both the parties have to appear before the Registrar along with their parents or guardians or other witnesses within one month from the date of marriage.
- There is a provision for condonation of delay upto 5 years by the Registrar and thereafter by the District Registrar concerned.
- The Special Marriage Act provides for the solemnization of a marriage as well as for registration by a Marriage Officer.
- The parties to the intended marriage have to give a notice to the Marriage Officer in whose jurisdiction at least one of the parties has resided for not less than 30 days prior to the date of notice.
- It should be affixed at some conspicuous place in his office. If either of the parties is residing in the area of another Marriage Officer, a copy of the notice should be sent to him for similar publication.
- The marriage may be solemnized after the expiry of one month from the date of publication of the notice, if no objections are received.
- If any objections are received, the Marriage Officer has to enquire into them and take a decision either to solemnize the marriage or to refuse it. Registration will be done after solemnization of the marriage.
- Any marriage already celebrated can also be registered under the Special Marriage Act after giving a public notice of 30 days, subject to certain conditions.
Please a list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
An application for the registration shall be in FORM A and shall be signed by each party to the marriage or by the guardian. Such a party shall be presented in person before the Registrar in whose jurisdiction either party to the marriage has been residing for at least six months immediately preceding the date of marriage.
- The party has to append proof of age and marriage photo.
- Both the parties to the marriage and the guardian if any, appear before the marriage Registrar personally.
- The application for registration of marriage shall be presented within one month of the date of solemnization of the marriage.
- If the delay is more than one month, up to 5 years, the Sub-Registrar will condone the delay.
- If the delay is above 5 years, the District Registrar will condone the delay.
- The parties to the intended marriage have to give a notice to the marriage officer in whose jurisdiction at least one of the parties must have resided for not less than 30 days prior to the date of notice.
- This notice will be displayed on the notice board of the Sub-Registrar's office. After the expiry of one month, if no objections are received, declarations by the bride and the bridegroom shall have to be filed. Then the marriage will be solemnized.
- To order marriage certificate please use the link http://www.aponline.gov.in/apportal/HomePageLinks/registrations.htm
- Fill up the Online application.
- Print the filled application form and acknowledgement slip.
- You will be allotted a temporary number which will be printed on your application form and acknowledgement slip .
- Send your printed application form and required documents to the concerned officer by registered post . Find your sub division / district.
- Once your post is received along with complete documents , you will be alloted a unique 10 digit application Number. If however , your application is not complete, you can still Find Status.
- Once your document is ready , you will be required to go to the office personally to collect it.
- Persons applying for marriage registration will be allotted a date of registration.You are required to be present before the Marriage Officer along with the printed application and the documents and witnesses . In these cases you don't need to send your application by post.
Ads by Google
- The application form duly signed by both the husband and the wife.
- Documentary evidence of the date of birth of parties (Matriculation certificate/Passport/Birth Certificate). The minimum age of both parties is 21 years at the time of registration under the Special Marriage Act.
- The Ration Card of the husband or wife in whose area the ADM has been approached for the certificate.
- In case of the Special Marriage Act, documentary evidence regarding stay in Delhi of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO).
- Affidavit by both the parties stating the place and the date of marriage, the dates of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality.
- Two passport sized photographs of both the parties and one marriage photograph.
- Marriage invitation card, if available.
- If the marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage is required.
- An affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per the Hindu Marriage Act or the Special Marriage Act as the case may be.
- An attested copy of the divorce decree/ order in the case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in the case of a widow/widower.
- In case one of the parties belongs to a religion other than Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism, a conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage (in case of the Hindu Marriage Act).
All documents excluding the receipt should be attested by a Gazetted Officer.
For Hindu Marriage
2.photo of groom and bride along with parents.
3.marriage certificate issued by function hall i.e. venue
4.Identity proof of couple
5.date of birth certificate or sslc certificate for age
6.3 witnesses identities required. 1 one from each family and third member can be any relative and their identity copies
Rs. 100/- in case of the Hindu Marriage Act and Rs.150/- in case of the Special Marriage Act is to be deposited with the cashier of the district, and the receipt to be attached with the application form.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
For office locations in hyderabad please use the link http://www.maaproperties.com/Pages/RegistrationOffices.aspx
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.