Algeria - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)
If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.
Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.
Everyone over the age of majority "19 years" may apply to the Minister of Justice, Minister of Justice, a name change request for serious reasons and objectives, such as having an ignominious name, obscene or foreign-sounding.
Ads by Google
Upon receipt of the notice concerning his request he undertakes before the magistrate near the court within whose jurisdiction it has its place of residence that his name change request is not designed to conceal suspicious identity.
- Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
- The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
- Date and place of birth
- Marital status and details
- Places of residence for last three months
- Address for Correspondence
How you should go about changing your name will depend upon which category you fit into. Changing your name after marriage or divorce is quite a simple process, while changing your name 'just because' requires a little more effort, but it is still quite straight forward and a lot easier than it used to be.
To change your name, submit a petition to your local Superior Court that details the reasons you'd like to change your name. After the court approves your request, you'll then need to update your Social Security card, driver's license and passport.
Ads by Google
- Written request signed by the person to the Minister of Justice.
- Birth certificate of the applicant and his minor children "Full copy" extracted from the civil registers of the municipality of the place birth.
- Marriage certificate for married people, original copy extracted from civil registers of the city or the marriage contract was concluded.
- Copy of the announcement in the daily newspapers; the page is inserted the ad must be fully copied so that the name of the newspaper, the number and date of the announcement to be seen.
- Certificate of Algerian nationality.
- Register of convictions update 3.
- Three (03) recent passport photos.
- Role extract.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Ministry of Justice
8 place Bir Hakim El-Biar, Algiers.
Tel. (213) 021 92-41-83
Fax: (213) 021 92-17-01
Contact the administrative courts
Contact the courts
Directory for Algerian Diplomatic and Consular representations abroad
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Typically, you may legally change your name to whatever name you'd like. There are some exceptions, though:
- You can't change your name just to escape debt liability or to hide from criminal liability.
- You can't change your name in order to commit a crime.
- You can't change your name with the intention to mislead. This usually involves taking the name of a famous person. Courts typically do not allow this, unless you have a convincing reason that is not related to the famous person or the use of his or her name.
- You can't choose a confusing name one that includes numerals or punctuation. However, some courts have permitted people to spell out the numbers, for example "Seven" instead of "7".
- You can't choose a name that would intimidate, offend, or be considered obscene.
- You can't choose a racial slur.
You may want to change your name because:
- You have just gotten married
- You have divorced
- You just want a change
The most important thing to do to legally change your name is to start using your new name. Introduce yourself using your new name, fill out forms and applications under your new name, tell all of your family and friends to only refer to you using your new name, and tell your school and/or employer of your new name. You do not need legal proof that you have changed your name, provided that you can be identified by your new chosen name. However, there are some circumstances, for example, applying for a passport, when additional evidence of the change of name is required. The evidence required varies depending on the purpose for which it is needed and can include:-
- a letter from a responsible person
- a public announcement
- a statutory declaration
- a deed poll