Albania - Register a Marriage
Marriages performed in Albania that are not registered with the Albanian Bureau of Vital Statistics have no validity.
Marriage in Albania is under the jurisdiction of the Albanian government. The Albanian government, specifically the civil status office where you or your future spouse lives, is most suited to answer questions regarding the documentation needed, timeframe, turnaround time, translation of documents, etc.
Marriage, as a legal cohabitation, is founded on the moral and legal equality of the spouses, in the mutual sentiment of love, respect and understanding, as the basis of unity in the family. Marriage and family enjoy special protection from the state.
A marriage may be registered between a man and a woman who are at least 18 years old. However, the Court of the city where the marriage took place, for specific reasons, may allow marriage before that age.
Marriage is concluded in front of the civil registration office clerk, upon the free consent of the future spouses.
Ads by Google
- Only a civil ceremony is considered legal under Albanian law.
- If your documents are issued in a language other than Albanian, you will need to translate those by a certified translator.
- Albanian authorities require people who wish to marry to provide a notarized statement stating that there is no legal impediment to the marriage.
- There are no residency requirements for foreign nationals who choose to get married in Albania. However, you will need certain documents.
- The following parties may not join in matrimony: precedents and descendants, brother and sister, uncle and niece, aunt and nephew, and first cousins. The court, for sufficient reasons, can allow the marriage of first cousins.
- The following parties cannot join in matrimony: father in law and daughter in law, mother in law and son in law, stepparents and stepchildren, even when the marriage which created this relationship has been declared void, has ceased or has been dissolved.
- A person who suffers from a mental illness or lacks the mental capacity to understand the nature of marriage cannot enter into matrimony.
- Your name
- Date and place of birth
- Personal identification document number
- Marital status (never married or divorced or widowed)
- The name of your fiancée/fiancé
As soon as you file an announcement, the Civil Status Officer makes an announcement by posting a notification sheet in places designated by the municipality or commune, showing the civil components of your future spouse, and the place of marriage. According to the Albanian law, this announcement will be shown for 11 consecutive days before you can get officially married. The Civil Status Officer will tell you when the actual marriage date will be.
On the scheduled date of your official marriage registration, you will need to be present together with your future spouse in order to sign the marriage agreement in front of the representative from that municipality unit.
Two witnesses are required. The witnesses should not be related to you or your spouse by blood or marriage, and must be present at City Hall at the time the marriage will be registered. The witnesses must present proper identification and will need to sign your marriage agreement papers.
Ads by Google
You need to bring the following:
- Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry in Albania;
- Your Birth Certificate;
- Divorce Decree or Certificate (if applicable);
- A Photocopy of your ID or passport;
- Personal Birth Certificate for your Future Spouse;
- A Photocopy of Your Future Spouse's ID or Passport.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
11 consecutive days before you can get officially married. The Civil Status Officer will tell you when the actual marriage date will be.
Bashkia Lezhe Lagjia Skenderbeg,
Sheshi Gjergj Kastrioti
Tel: +355 215 22270 / 22219
Fax: +355 215 22570
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Foreigners must apply for official permission from the Albanian government to marry a citizen Albania. You must demonstrate to Albanian officials that you are not currently married to anyone else - either you have never been married or all divorces are finalized - that your identity is proven, and that you have never committed any crimes in Albania. This is done by providing various documents including an Affidavit of Single Status to the Albanian government either in Albania or via an Albanian embassy.
In Albania a couple may be married in a civil ceremony, religious ceremony, or both. However, the marriage is considered legal only when performed as a civil ceremony. There are no residency requirements for foreign nationals to get married in Albania. Civil Marriage in Albania is a fully recognized legal marriage. Marriages performed in Albania that are not registered with the Albanian Bureau of Vital Statistics have no validity.
If one of the spouses, due to disease or any other reason justified by the civil registration office clerk, is unable to go to the civil registration office of the municipality or commune, the civil registration office clerk may go to the location of the spouse who is unable to come to the office and conclude the marriage, according to the procedures as set forth in article 30 of the Family Code.