Albania - Obtain Copy of Marriage Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
A marriage license is filed with the Civil Status Office after the marriage ceremony takes place. The officiant performing the ceremony completes and signs the marriage license and returns it to the Civil Status Office, where it is recorded.
After that occurs, the Civil Status Office can issue you a certified copy of your marriage certificate upon request. Marriage certificates are not automatically sent to couples.
Submitting your request:
- Print and complete the request form and mail it or fax it to the Civil Status Office.
- Walk-in service is also available in the Civil Status Office. Please check for office hours and location.
- Vital records requests contain confidential information. Therefore, we highly recommend you mail your request. E-mail, although convenient, is not secure and subject to fraud.
- Remember to sign your request and enclose the correct fees as well as a copy of picture ID.
- Proof of eligibility
You can apply for a marriage certificate for yourself or on behalf of another person. If you are not applying for yourself or your husband or wife, you need written approval from the person you are applying for.
- Proof of ID (identification)
The ID you provide must be current and include a photo and signature. It must show your current address.
Office Locations & Contacts
Bashkia Lezhe Lagjia Skenderbeg,
Sheshi Gjergj Kastrioti
Tel: +355 215 22270 / 22219
Fax: +355 215 22570
- In Albania, you can get married in a civil ceremony, religious ceremony, or both. However, only a civil ceremony is considered legal under Albanian law.
- Before a marriage certificate can be produced, your marriage must be registered. Your civil or religious marriage celebrant can register the marriage on your behalf.
- If you are the bride or groom named on the certificate, the certificate can be issued to you.
- If you are a child of the bride or groom, the certificate can be issued to you if the bride and groom are deceased.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Registrar Office issues marriage certificate in Albanian. The Main Civil Status Office (Zyra e Gjendjes Civile) in Tirana also handles marriages between Albanians and foreign nationals. Such marriage must be legalized by the Albanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs through Albanian Postal Service (Posta Shqiptare).
If you are not the bride or groom named on the certificate or their child, you must satisfy one of the following conditions:
- A letter of authority, giving permission to apply and at least three (3) forms of identification from the bride or groom named on the certificate, and your own identification.
- Show Power of Attorney relating to the bride or groom named on the certificate.
- Be a solicitor/welfare group acting for or in the interests of the bride or groom named on the certificate.
- Date of request
- Full name of husband (last name in caps)
- Full name of wife (maiden name in caps)
- Date of marriage
- Place of marriage (city or town, county, state)
- Relationship to parties
- The purpose for which the record is needed
- Requestor�s name & address
- Requestor�s driver's license number & state (some counties require it)
- Requestor�s signature
Need for the Document
A marriage certificate is a record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married.
Albanian marriage certificates are handwritten with a postage stamp-like stamp with wet seal, containing you and your spouse�s (husband of wife) first, middle, and last name, maiden name of woman, you and your spouse�s father�s and mother�s name, name of issuing agency and place of registration, name and title of signing officer.
Marriage certificates are typically used on occasions where proof of the marriage between two persons is required. Examples include:
- applying for immigration
- applying social welfare benefits
- claiming the life insurance of a spouse
Information which might help
Marriage certificate requirements often change. Verify all information with the local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel arrangements.
A Marriage Certificate contains information about a marriage between two individuals. On a marriage record, you can at least find the bride's and groom's full names, the date of the marriage, and county where the marriage took place. Many marriage records include other information, such as the names and birthplaces of the bride's and groom's parents, the addresses of the bride and groom, information about previous marriages, and the names of the witnesses to the marriage.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
You can use a copy of marriage certificate as proof of your wedding for official purposes, such as changing your name on a passport or driver license.
Before you can get a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered. The official who performed the marriage will do this by sending a complete and signed marriage license to the Civil Status Office. You can order a marriage certificate about 6-8 weeks after this happens.