Akrotiri - Register a Birth
The birth of every child born in the Sovereign Base Area of Akrotiri (WSBA) shall be registered by the Registrar of births and deaths for the area in which the child was born by entering in a register kept for that Area such particulars concerning the birth as may be prescribed; and different registers shall be kept and different particulars may be prescribed for live births and still births respectively.
Area Offices of Akrotiri act as the civil government of the Sovereign Base Areas and is an integral part of the Sovereign Base Areas Administration. Each Sovereign Base Area has its own Area Office, i.e. the Area Office Akrotiri, for the Sovereign Base Area of Akrotiri (WSBA) and the Area Office Dhekelia, for the Sovereign Base Area of Dhekelia (ESBA).
The following person shall be qualified to give information concerning a birth, that is to say—
- the father and mother of the child;
- the occupier of the house in which the child was to the knowledge of that occupier born;
- any person present at the birth;
- any person having charge of the child.
Ads by Google
The Fiscal Officer as head of SBA Customs and Immigration has responsibility for a wide range of tasks that extend beyond those normally associated with a customs service. These include matters relating to external border control, direct and indirect taxation, and more diverse subjects such as registrar of births and deaths.
In the case of every child born in the Sovereign Base Area of Akrotiri (WSBA) it shall be the duty of the medical practitioner or midwife or both in attendance upon the mother at the time of, or within thirty six hours after, the birth, to give notice of the birth in the manner provided by the Ordinance to the Registrar of the Area in which the birth takes places.
Provided that, where a living new-born child is found exposed and no information as to the place of birth is available, the birth shall be registered by the Registrar of births and deaths for the area in which the child is found.
- Name of the child
- Names, occupation and residence of parents, godmother, sponsors
- Street and number
- Birth registration Place
- Marital Status
Where the Registrar receives personally from any qualified informant, at any time before the expiration of three months 12 months 13 from the date of the birth of any child or from the date when any living new-born child is found exposed, information of the particulars required to be registered concerning the birth of the child, and subject as may be prescribed in the case of an alleged still birth where no certificate is delivered, he shall forthwith register the birth and the particulars if not previously registered, in the prescribed form and manner without any fee or reward form the informant.
Where any living new-born child is found exposed, it shall be the duty of the person finding the child, and of any person in whose charge the child may be placed, to give to the best of his knowledge and belief to the Registrar, before the expiration of forty-two days from the date on which the child was found, such information of the particulars required to be registered concerning the birth of the child as the informant possesses, and in the presence of the Registrar to sign the register.
Where, after the expiration of twelve months from the date of the birth of any child or from the date when any living new-born child is found exposed, the birth of the child has not been registered, the birth shall not be registered except with the written authority of the Registrar General and in such manner and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed, and the fact that the authority of the Registrar General has been obtained, shall be entered in the register.
Ads by Google
The mother's original birth or name certificate must be submitted along with the birth notification. If the parents are married, the father's birth or name certificate and the parents' marriage certificate must be submitted as well.
- Registration of birth within 12 months is free
- Registration of birth after 12 months is €30
- Certificate of birth (to informant at time of registration) is free
- Certificate of birth (in any other case) is €5
The Registration of Death form is a permanent legal record of the birth.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
In the case of every birth it shall be the duty -
- of the father and mother of the child;
- in the case of the death or inability of the father and the mother, of each other qualified informant, to give to the Registrar, before the expiration of a period of forty-two days from the date of the birth, information of the particulars required to be registered concerning the birth, and in the presence of the Registrar to sign the register:
Provided that the giving of information and the signing of the register by any one qualified informant shall act as a discharge of any duty under this section of the Ordinance of every other qualified informant.
The Registrar must:
- upon registering the birth give to the informant without fee 1 certificate of birth in the prescribed form;
- upon the application of any person and upon payment of the fee set out in the table give to the applicant a certificate of birth in the prescribed form.
Any medical practitioner or midwife who fails to give notice of a birth in accordance with the Ordinance shall be guilt of an offence and shall be liable to a fine
- the Area Officer for the Area in which a birth or death takes place; or
- in a case where a living new-born child is found exposed or a dead body is found and no information as to the place of birth or death is available, the Area Officer for the Area in which the child or dead body is found