Tamil Nadu - Obtain a Birth Certificate
A Birth Certificate is the most important identity document that makes it possible for anyone in possession of it to benefit from a gamut of services offered by the Indian Government to its citizens. It becomes necessary to obtain a Birth Certificate because it serves to establish the date and fact of one’s birth for a whole range of purposes, like acquiring the right to vote, admission to schools and to the Government Service, claiming the right to marry at the legally permissible age, settlement of inheritance and property rights, and obtaining Government-issued identity documents like a driving licence or passport.
As per rules, births will have to be registered within 21 days at the place of its occurrence.
Ads by Google
- Concerned Authority
- In Municipalities, Corporations and Special Village Panchayats (Town Panchayats), the concerned local bodies undertake the registration of births.
- In Village Panchayats, the responsibility for registration of births is with the Revenue Department and the Village Panchayats are the Registrars of Birth in the Village Administrative Officers.
- In India, it is mandatory under the law (as per the Registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969) to register every birth with the concerned State/UT Government within 21 days of its occurrence.
- The Government accordingly has provided for a well-defined system for registration of Birth, with the Registrar General at the centre and the Chief Registrars in the States, running through district registrars to the village and town registrars at the periphery.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Every birth shall be registered within 14 days with the Town Panchayat. Any person who wants to register a birth shall inform the Town Panchayat office in the prescribed format along with a certificate from the person or Medical Institution, who conducted delivery in the case of birth.
- Beyond the prescribed time limit, if a registration is done, it is accepted with a payment of penalty upto a period of one year. If a registration is to be done beyond a period of one year, it will be registered only on receipt of Judical order from a Magistrate and with penalty.
- On registration one copy of an extract of Birth Register will be given to the party, free of cost.
- If a certificate of Birth is required at a later date from the Town Panchayat, an application in the prescribed format furnishing the information required in the format like name of the child, father's name, mother's name, date and place of birth, etc., in the case of birth certificate.
- When the birth has taken place in the house, the head of the family or the nearest relative of the family will have to register in the prescribed format along with a certificate from the person or medical institution that conducted the delivery.
- Births taking place in a medical institution will be intimated for registration by the institution directly to the registering authority.
Ads by Google
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications.
- In rural areas, Taluk Offices and Sub-Registrar offices are the concerned offices for registration/issual of certificate. Taluk offices come under the Revenue Administration Department.
- Town Panchayats (at present called Special Village Panchayats) come under the Rural Development Department.
- Municipalities and Corporations come under the Municipal Administration and Water Supply Department.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.