Tamil Nadu - Obtain a Birth Certificate
A Birth Certificate is the most important identity document that makes it possible for anyone in possession of it to benefit from a gamut of services offered by the Indian Government to its citizens. It becomes necessary to obtain a Birth Certificate because it serves to establish the date and fact of one’s birth for a whole range of purposes, like acquiring the right to vote, admission to schools and to the Government Service, claiming the right to marry at the legally permissible age, settlement of inheritance and property rights, and obtaining Government-issued identity documents like a driving licence or passport.
As per rules, births will have to be registered within 21 days at the place of its occurrence.
Ads by Google
- Concerned Authority
- In Municipalities, Corporations and Special Village Panchayats (Town Panchayats), the concerned local bodies undertake the registration of births.
- In Village Panchayats, the responsibility for registration of births is with the Revenue Department and the Village Panchayats are the Registrars of Birth in the Village Administrative Officers.
- In India, it is mandatory under the law (as per the Registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969) to register every birth with the concerned State/UT Government within 21 days of its occurrence.
- The Government accordingly has provided for a well-defined system for registration of Birth, with the Registrar General at the centre and the Chief Registrars in the States, running through district registrars to the village and town registrars at the periphery.
- Name of the Father, Age and Occupation
- Name of the Mother
- Date of Birth & Sex of Child
- Place of Birth
- Name of Hospital & Address
- Name of Nursing Home & Address
- At home and Address
- Residential address at the time of Birth
- Every birth shall be registered within 21 days with the Town Panchayat. Any person who wants to register a birth shall inform the Town Panchayat office in the prescribed format along with a certificate from the person or Medical Institution, who conducted delivery in the case of birth.
- Beyond the prescribed time limit, if a registration is done, it is accepted with a payment of penalty upto a period of one year. If a registration is to be done beyond a period of one year, it will be registered only on receipt of Judical order from a Magistrate and with penalty.
- On registration one copy of an extract of Birth Register will be given to the party, free of cost.
- If a certificate of Birth is required at a later date from the Town Panchayat, an application in the prescribed format furnishing the information required in the format like name of the child, father's name, mother's name, date and place of birth, etc., in the case of birth certificate.
- When the birth has taken place in the house, the head of the family or the nearest relative of the family will have to register in the prescribed format along with a certificate from the person or medical institution that conducted the delivery.
- Births taking place in a medical institution will be intimated for registration by the institution directly to the registering authority.
Ads by Google
- Proof of place of birth(where the child has born) from medical institution.
- Birth Certificate: Rs.25.00 per copy(Conditions apply)
- If date of birth is not known or unspecified, Search Fee for every year: Rs.25.00 per copy (Conditions apply)
- Belated Birth Registration
- Below one month: without penalty
- Above one month & below one year: Rs.25.00 per copy **
- Above one year with the order of Magistrate: Rs.50.00
- A Court fee stamp of Rs.2/- shall be fixed in the application form.
Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Below are the list of corporation in urban areas links to download the application form for birth certificate. You have to download the form, take the print out and fill up the form and send to the corporation.
Download application form for birth certificate online - Chennai
Download application form for birth certificate online - Coimbatore
Download application form for birth certificate online - Salem
Download application form for birth certificate online - Madurai
Download application form for birth certificate online - Thoothukudi
Download application form for birth certificate online - Trichy
Download application form for birth certificate online - Erode
Download application form for birth certificate online - Vellore
Please explain the processing your application.
- Zonal offices contact details
Zonal Officer- Zone I(Thiruvottriyur)
No.947,Thiruvotriyur High Road,Chennai – 600019.
Zonal Officer- Zone II (Manali) No.112,
Dr. Ambedkar Street, Manali,
Chennai – 600068
Phone: 94451 90002/ 044-25941079
Zonal Officer- Zone III (Madhavaram),
No.1,Thattankulam Street,Bazaar Road,
Phone: 94451 90003/ 044-25530427
Zonal Officer- Zone IV (Tondiarpet)
No.266,Thiruvotriyur High Road,Chennai – 600021.
Phone: 94451 90004/ 044-25951083 / 25961199
Zonal Officer- Zone V (Royapuram)
No.62,Basin Bridge Road,
Old Washermenpet, Chennai– 600021.
Phone: 94451 90005/ 044-25206655 / 25209269
Zonal Officer- Zone VI (Thiru-Vi-Ka Nagar)
Ayanavaram, Chennai – 600023.
Zonal Officer- Zone VII (Ambattur)
Thiruvallur High Road, Opp Dunlop, Chennai – 600053.
Phone: 94451 90007/ 26253331 / 26250231
Zonal Officer- Zone VIII (Anna Nagar)
No.273,Poonamallee High Road,Chennai – 600010.
Phone: 94451 90008/ 26412646 / 26415372
Zonal Officer- Zone IX(Teynampet)
No.4,4th Cross Street,Lakeview Road,Chennai – 600034.
Phone: 94451 90009/ 044-28170738 / 28174775
Zonal Officer- Zone X (Kodampakkam)
No.64,NSK Salai, Kodambakkam, Chennai – 600024.
Phone: 94451 90010/ 044-24838968 /24801959
Zonal Officer- Zone XI (Valasarvakkam)
No.33, Arcot Road, Valasaravakkam,Chennai – 600087.
Phone: 94451 90011/044-24867725
Zonal Officer- Zone XII (Alandur)
No.1,New Street, Near GST Road, Alandur, Chennai – 600016
Phone: 94451 90012/ 044-22342355
Zonal Officer- Zone XIII (Adyar)
No.115,Dr.Muthulakshmi Salai, Chennai – 600020.
Phone:94451 90013/044-24425961 /24425963
Zonal Officer- Zone XIV (Perunkudi)
No.6/64,Puzhuthiwakkam Main Road,Chennai – 600091.
Phone: 94451 90014/ 044-22420600
Zonal Officer- Zone XV (Sozhinganallur)
No.120, Rajiv Gandhi Salai, (Old Mahabalipuram Road) Sholinganallur,Chennai – 600119.
Phone: 94451 90015/ 044-24500923
'Below are the list of corporation in urban areas and their contact details.
Corporation of Chennai, Ripon Building, EVR salai, Chennai – 600003
Phone: 044-25381330/ 25619200
Tmt. G.Latha I.A.S,Office:
Corporation of Coimbatore, Coimbatore – 641 001, Tamil Nadu.
Phone : 91 – 422 – 2390261, 2396026
Fax: 91 – 422 – 2390167
Salem Corporation Main Office Phone Number Details Control Room :
0427 – 2213993 – 2213994 – 2213995 – 2212844 – 2210778
Salem Corporation, Salem – 636 001, Tamil Nadu.
Aringar Anna Maligai, Outpost, Thallakulam, Madurai, Tamilnadu, India-625002
Thoothukudi -628 002, South Tamil Nadu, India.
Phone : 0461-2326901
Tiruchirappalli City Municipal Corporation
Phone : Main Office – 0431 2415396,
Srirangam – 0431 2432255
K-Abishekapuram – 0431 2772098
Ariyamangalam – 0431 2467615
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Address : Bharathidasan Road,Cantonment, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu 620001
ERODE CITY MUNICIPAL CORPORATION OFFICE,
New No.246, Old No.894, BROUGH ROAD, ERODE – 638 001.
E-Mail : email@example.com
Phone : 0424 – 2251616/ 2251617/- 2251618/ 2251619
The Corporation Commissioner,
Vellore City Municipal Corporation, Infantery Road, Vellore – 632 001, Vellore District.
Phone : 0416 – 2220578
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications.
- In rural areas, Taluk Offices and Sub-Registrar offices are the concerned offices for registration/issual of certificate. Taluk offices come under the Revenue Administration Department.
- Town Panchayats (at present called Special Village Panchayats) come under the Rural Development Department.
- Municipalities and Corporations come under the Municipal Administration and Water Supply Department.
- INDIVIDUAL USES OF BIRTH CERTIFICATES
- Establishing date of birth and age:
- School registration
- Obtaining drivers license
- Proving age of majority/minority in court
- Qualifying for pensions, social security or health insurance
- Obtaining work permits
- Entering military service
- Obtaining a social security number
- Playing sports
- Establishing birthplace to prove citizenship:
- Obtaining a passport
- Entering employment limited to citizens
- Obtaining licenses limited to citizens
- Establishing family relationships:
- Proving legal dependency
- Obtaining inheritance benefits
- Receiving insurance benefits
- Conducting genealogical research
- If the child is born at home, one of the parents will have to visit the 'Registration of Births Office' to get the registration done.
- In case the birth has not been registered within the specified time of its occurrence, the certificate is issued after due police verification ordered by the revenue authorities
- If the birth is not registered, request the Municipal Corporation office for a “Non-Availability of Birth Certificate” (NABC). A “Vakalatnama” has to be filed by the parents or guardians, or through a lawyer.