Countries > India > Karnataka

Karnataka - Register a Marriage

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Marriage certificate is a document which provides valuable evidence of marriage, social security, self-confidence particularly among married women.


Bridegroom must have completed 21 years age and bride must be 18 years.

Ads by Google


Marriage certificate indicates that the couple is legally married.

  • In India, a legal marriage is between males older than 21 years of age and females older than 18 years of age.
  • In India, marriage can be registered in accordance to the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or Special Marriage Act, 1954.

Required Information

  1. Name and address of bridegroom and bride,
  2. Signature of bride and bridegroom,
  3. Signature of 3 attesting witness present at the time of marriage along with their name and address,
  4. Joint photo of bride and bridegroom with signature over such photo


  • Application for marriage filled in prescribed form along with the required documents, should be presented to the Registrar of Marriage.
  • Marriage officer will verify the contents of the application and records. He will issue certificate of marriage if he is satisfied that the records produced are in accordance with law, after the witnesses sign in presence of the registrar.

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  1. Wedding card
  2. 2 Photos of Bride and Groom in marriage dress taken during marriage ritual which clearly show they are taking part in marriage ceremony.
  3. Documents which serve as Proof of Age preferably 10th class mark sheet with date of Birth on it.
  4. Address proof of current residing address which should be on Bride or Grooms name.
  5. Two witnesses to certify your marriage.
  6. Some of the accepted documents are Passport, Drivers License, Voter ID card, GAS card, Electricity Bill on the name of the applicant. Atleast one of the applicant should have government issued residence proof if not both the applicants.


  • No fee is prescribed for registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act. Fee for application is Rs.5 and fee for certified copy is Rs.10.
  • Under Special Marriage Act, fee for solemnization of marriage is Rs.10, Rs.15 extra for solemnization in place other than office. Fee for notice of intended marriage is Rs 3. Fee for certified copy of certificate of marriage is Rs.2
  • Under Parsi Marriage Act, fee for certified copy of certificate of marriage is Rs.2.


Marriage certificate is valid forever.

Documents to Use

For downloading forms:

Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time

The processing time shall be 1-2 weeks.

Office Locations & Contacts

  1. Marriages under Hindu Marriage Act can be registered in the office of the Registrar of Marriage within the jurisdiction of which the marriage has taken place or in the office of Marriage Officer in whose jurisdiction the bride or bride-groom resides;
  2. Marriage under Special Marriage Act can be registered in the office of the Marriage Officer in whose jurisdiction bride or bridegroom resides;
  3. Marriage under Parsi Marriage Act may be registered in the Office of the District Registrar in whose jurisdiction the marriage takes place.

Ads by Google


Information which might help

Marriages are registered under the following Acts:

  1. Hindu Marriage Act, 1955,
  2. Special Marriage Act, 1954,
  3. Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

  • For obtaining a passport
  • For applying visa in another country
  • For claiming Bank deposits or Life Insurance benefits when the depositee or the Insurer dies without a nomination or otherwise.

External Links

  • For any further information use the following link:
  • For details regarding address of the sub-registrar office in Bangalore, use this link:

  • For details regarding address of the sub-registrar office in karnataka, use this link:


  • If you are getting married in accordance to the Hindu Marriage Act you can perform the rituals and then apply for registration of the marriage. The Hindu Marriage Act provides for registration of an already solemnized marriage. There is no need to get the wedding solemnized in the presence of a Registrar.
  • If you are getting married in accordance to the Special Marriage Act the wedding is solemnized and registered by a Marriage Officer. The important thing in such a marriage is that a public notice must be given for 30 days. If there is an objection to the marriage in these 30 days, the Marriage Registrar will take necessary steps to redress the objection. He may accept or reject the marriage altogether based on his investigation.

Any marriage already celebrated can also be registered under the Special Marriage Act after giving a public notice of 30 days, subject to the above conditions.

Personal tools