West Bengal - Obtain a Legal Heir Certificate (Succession Certificate)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Apply in Person
- You can obtain a Legal Heir Certificate through your Taluk / Thasildhar or through the District Civil Court of your area.
- The best approach would be to get in touch with the Taluk / Thasildhar office of your area they should be able to provide you with the certificate or in some cases you might be asked to contact a lawyer in District Civil Court to get it done.
- Based on the report of the Village Administrative Officer and Revenue Inspector and after due enquiry, this certificate is issued by the Concerned Authority mentioning the names of all legal heirs of the deceased.
Apply through SDO center
- Legal heir Certificate request is applied by the citizen at the SDO center. This request can be accessed by the Thaasildhaar and processed.
- Application for Legal Heir Certificate can be collected from respective SDO center. Following link can provide you information related to nearest SDO Centers : Link for SDO
- Go to your area SDO center. Get the required application form.
- Fill the form with details correctly and affix 2Rs stamp
- Attach all the required documents along with the completed application form
- Submit the documents to the authorized officer in center
- The application will be verified by the Village Administrative Officer (VAO) and Revenue Inspector (RI).
- There will be a ground level verification and scrutiny of the documents and details provided.
- Once the verification is over , these officials will submit their report to the Thaasildhaar.
- Thaasildhaar will decide to issue the Family Member Certificate to the applicant.
- Death certificate
- Identity Card
- Ration card
- Prescribed application form
- Proof of residence of deceased person (Voter ID / DL / Bank Pass Book etc.,)
- In case of Spouse applies for certificate
- If the spouse survives, Aadhaar, Marriage Registration Certificate or Passport or Voter ID should be submitted
- Birth certificate or Transfer Certificate of all Children
- Self declaration of the spouse indicating all other legal heirs (including Mother-in-law if wife is the applicant)
- In case of Child applies if parent are deceased
- Death Certificate of the parents
- Birth certificate / Aadhaar / Passport / T.C of the applicant and aadhaar card of all possible heirs
- In case of Child (minor) applies if parents are deceased
- Death Certificate of the parents
- Birth certificate / Aadhaar / Passport / T.C of the applicant and Aadhaar card of all possible heirs
- Guardianship order issued by the Hon’ble civil court to prove relationship to the heirs
- In case of Parents or sibling apply (unmarried children deceased)
- Death Certificate of the Deceased
- Birth certificate / Aadhaar / Passport / T.C of the deceased
- Self declaration of the parents / siblings
Office Locations & Contacts
- GOVERNMENT OF WEST BENGAL
Office of the Sub-Divisional Officer Alipore (Sadar),
South 24-Parganas, New Treasury Building (3rd Floor),
Alipore, Kolkata - 700 027
Phone No. : 033 24791681, Fax No. 033 24399829,
Link for SDO Offices: SDO link
Sub Divisional Officer,
Room No. 46 (General Section)
North 24 Parganas
Hooghly District magistrate & collector's Office,
- Wife of the deceased can apply
- Son or daughter of the deceased can apply
- Father or Mother of the deceased can apply
- Sibling of the deceased can apply
- NOTE: Apart from applicant, all the other eligible members will be listed as heirs in the certificate
Stamp of Re.2/-
The validity period of this certificate has been enhanced to life long as per GO
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
If your application is fair and complete, the processing time will be 30 days.
West Bengal - Obtain A Legal Heir Certificate (Succession Certificate)
- A legal heir certificate is issued by the government for those individuals whose parent/husband is dead without leaving a will.
- To establish relationship for claims relating to Insurance, pension, retirement benefits or service benefits of central and state government departments, Government undertakings etc.
- In legal succession cases to get succession certificate to establish the relationship
- To get employments for example compassionate appointments.
- Approach the District Thasildar office with the death certificate and produce the form.
- All required documents to be submit while lodging the application.
- It will take around a month to process all the necessary information and receive the certificate.
- Deceased name
- Family member Names and Relationship
- Applicant Signature
- Date of Application
- Residential Address
Need for the Document
- If the head or a member of the family expires, the next direct legal heir of the deceased such as the wife or husband or son or daughter or mother may apply for legal-heirship certificate \ Succession Certificate on application for the purpose of transferring Electricity connection, House Tax, Telephone connection/patta transfer, Bank Account, etc.
- If the person who died is a Government servant, legal heir certificate is issued for sanction of family pension, and for getting appointment on compassionate grounds. Legal Heir is also provided for various other reasons as-well.
- Legal Heirs certificate is an important document in determining the rightful ownership for an asset / property in situation of sudden demise of the owner as per document registered.
Information which might help
- This certificate can be used for several years.
- Fill the application details correctly without any mistake.
- NOTE : It is a punishable offense to try with fraudulent documents to get a Legal heir certificate
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Legal Heir Certificate can be used to establish relationship for claims relating to Insurance, pension, retirement benefits or service benefits of central and state government departments, Government undertakings etc.
India.gov.in - Obtain Legal Heirship Certificate: Tamil Nadu Certificate
Form Details for: Application for Legal Heir Certificate Application
IndiaStudyChannel.com How to get a legal Heirship certificate Information
More information which might help people.