West Bengal - Apply for Cracker and Explosive License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicant may approach the Deputy Commissioners office to apply for this license
- Following link provides contact details: Form Link
- Make sure that you have required documents to process your request
- Please confirm that you are eligible to apply
- Applicant must submit form- 4 as appended to Cracker/Explosive Act 1984 with required documents
- Your application will be accepted with advised fee as per authorities
- This application will be processed further
- If,required police verification and inquiries would be conducted
- If everything in place and upon satisfactory ground the license will be issued
Note: Grant or rejection of permit depends on the department decision.
Through e-Bangla: - West Bengal Apply for Cracker and Explosive License through e-Bangla Online With Images
- Following link takes you to the Online portal e-Bangla : Link for Online portal
- Please select “Application for Grant of Fire Crackers Selling License” option on the left part of the page under “ e-Services” menu
- In the next window, Existing user shall enter the user name and password as prompted and then hit "login" tab to login.
- If not register already, then use "Create new account" to register and login using the credentials.
- In the new page enter / select prompted details to complete the procedure for applying.
- Once the online applying is over, The application will be processed as per in how to apply procedure to grant the license
- Application form : link for form (Please use FORM 4 for Application for grant or amendment of licence to possess and sell explosives)
- Proof of Identity and Address proof
- Verification report from police
- No objection from fire service department
- No objection from local body
- Particulars of previous license if any
- Description of place for where the storage is intended to be carried out.
- No objection certificate of the tenant if the business is intended to be carried out on the land of tenant other than the applicant.
- Recent copy of Form-F of the land housing the Storage Facility.
- Aadhaar Card
- Passport size photos
Office Locations & Contacts
- Joint Chief Controller of Explosives
8, Explanade East, 1st Floor,
Kolkata-(West Bengal) - 700069
(033)22480427 / 22489524 / 22486600 / 22420686
For contact info : Link for contact
- Applicants must be above 18 years old.
- Not sentenced or convicted of any offence involving violence or moral turpitude for a term of not less than six months, at any time during a period of five years after the expiration of the sentence.
- Applicant should not have any connection or executions in code of Criminal Procedure.
- Applicant license under the Explosives Act has not been cancelled, whether before or after the commencement of the Indian Explosives (Amendment) Act, at any time during a period of five years from the date of cancellation of such license.
- Officials at Controller of Explosives would give fee details
- Please use the following link to ascertain your fees : Link for Fee details
- Validity of the Cracker License on Temporary basis will be Maximum of 15 days and on Permanent basis for 1 Year (Financial Year)
- renewed every year (Optional)
- NOTE : When applying for a temporary license to sell or to store on seasonal demand like Diwali – This licence will be issued in a time of 1 week to 1 month as decided by local authorities
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
30 working days
West Bengal - Apply For Cracker And Explosive License
Applicants may approach the Deputy Commissioner, who is in charge of issuing Cracker and Explosive License.
There are two kinds of lincences:
- Temporary licences
- Permanent licences
- The criteria for availing a temporary licence
- To sell only amorces (this refers to percussion caps for toy pistols) & sparklers up to 100 Kilograms, you do not require a temporary license. However, all conditions/safety measures must be observed as per Explosives Rules-2008
- To sell mixed crackers (amorces, sparklers & other crackers) upto 100 Kilograms or fireworks of a higher quantity, you must apply for a temporary fireworks license. For selling fireworks up to 600Kg (100 kg of manufactured fireworks of class-7, division-2, subdivision-2 plus 500 kg of Chinese crackers or sparklers), the temporary license is granted by a District Deputy Commissioners of Police concerne
Applicants for temporary fireworks licence to manufacture crackers up to 600 Kilograms should either have a pucca shop or temporary shed, meeting the following requirements:
- Pucca shop
- The shop should have a minimum floor area of 9 square meters and a maximum floor area of 25 square meters.
- The shop to be located on a commercial street or in a commercial shopping centre. This is in sync with Master Plan Delhi-2021.
- The shop must be located on the ground floor of a building and should not be located in sub-level or basement or mezzanine floor.
Upper floor should not be a dwelling unit.
- The shop should be beyond 15 meters distance from any other shop or premise used for storage of any explosive, inflammable or hazardous material.
- A minimum of 6 meter wide motorable road is required that excludes physical obstructions such as electric pole, kerb, covered drains, pillars, raised pavements on the site of the premises with entry and exit facing the road.
- The shop should have no electrical apparatus or battery or oil lamp or similar equipment capable of producing spark or ignition and all electrical wiring in the shop should be fixed and effectively sealed or conducted or mechanically protected. The main switch or circuit breaker should be provided at an immediate accessible position outside the premises.
- The shop should have an adequate ISI approved firefighting equipment.
- The shop should have independent entrance and emergency exit from open space.
Shop should have doors opening outwards. Alternatively, shop may have rolling shutters but the same must be provided with stoppers, which must be functional.
- Temporary sheds
- The shed should be of non-flammable material. It should be closed and secured so as to prevent unauthorized persons having access into it.
- The sheds should be at a distance of at least 3mtrs from each other and 50 meters from any protected works.
- The sheds should not be facing each other.
- No oil burning lamps, gas lamps or naked lights shall be used in the shed or within the safety distance of the sheds for the purpose of lighting. Any electrical light if used shall be fixed to the wall or ceiling and should not be suspended by flexible wire. Switches should be fixed rigidly near the ceiling and a master switch should be provided for each row of sheds.
- Display of fireworks shall not be allowed within 50 meters of any sheds.
- In one cluster not more than 50 shops shall be permitted.
- Temporary sheds shall not be permitted in such open space which serves as the only fall back area for nearby residential or commercial areas. *The area for temporary sheds should not be close to any busy market. Temporary sheds should be so located that these do not affect circulation of traffic, contingency evacuation including movement of emergency vehicles and smooth movement of pedestrians. Decision on the above shall be on case to case basis depending upon suitability of place from public security and safety point of view.
- Date of Birth
- Permanent Address
- Correspondence Address
- Proposed Premises Address
- If the explosives are to be used, you need to furnish the particulars related to the purpose of use
Need for the Document
- Government has enforced public to follow strict rules and regulations while dealing crackers and explosives under the Explosive policy.
- To administer the responsibilities delegated under the Explosives Act 1884 the rules made thereunder related to manufacture, import, export, transport, possession, sale and use of Explosives
- Without this license one can’t deal or trade such items.
- Match Factories, Cracker shops are few of the establishments which requires this license
- To ensure public safety, Government has formed and regulates these traders to follow the set of rules and keep track of those involved in this business for timely supervision
Information which might help
- Manufacture of Explosives is the most hazardous operation.
- The hazards of explosives depend upon the type and category of explosives.
- Therefore the safety provisions are different depending on manufacture of the type and category of explosives.
- The detailed procedure as to what to submit, how to prepare the documents, how to fill up the forms, how to construct the premises, what the Department of Explosives checks and scrutinizes, what are the various stages for grant of license etc., differs on case to case.
- The Additional Commissioner of Police, Licensing while refusing to grant licence shall record in writing the reasons for such refusal and communicate the same to the applicant. The applicant shall be given an opportunity of being heard before a decision to refuse the licence is taken. (Rule 114 of Explosives Rules, 2008)
- Appeal: An appeal against the order of the Additional Commissioner of Police, Licensing, Delhi refusing to grant a licence or suspending or revoking a licence or varying the condition of a licence shall lie, with Special Commissioner of Police, Administration, PHQ who will decide the appeal (Rule 121 & 122 of the Explosives Rules-2008). A fee of Rs. 200/- shall be deposited either in cash or through Demand Draft. In case the appeal is upheld by the appellate authority, the fee shall be refunded to the appellant.
- Procedure for renewal of Licence
- The licence granted by District Authority (Addl. CP/Licensing) shall be renewed every five years.
- Every application for the renewal of licence shall be made so as to reach the licensing authority to renew the licence on or before the date on which the licence expires and if the application is so made, the licence shall be deemed to be in force until an intimation that the renewal of the licence is refused, has been communicated to the applicant (as per Rule 112, of the Explosives Rules-2008)
- No licence shall be renewed if the application for renewal is received by the licensing or renewing authority after three months of the date of its expiry.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Do's & Don'ts for licencees and responsibility of local police
- At least 4 sand bags must be kept in the premises. Additional sand bags depending upon the size of the premises are also required to be kept.
- No smoking signboard should be displayed in each licenced premises.
- At least two or more fire extinguishers of liquid/water CO2 type of 9 ltrs capacity each of ISI mark should be installed in the premises in sound working condition.
- The use of crackers and smoking should not be allowed near the sale area i.e. within 50 mtrs area from the shop.
- Fire Hydrants should be located in the selected areas with the he