Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > Wales

Wales - Apply for Childcare Grant

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Applying for the grant

Apply for the grant by filling up a Childcare Grant Application Form (CCG1). If you indicate on your student finance application that you want to apply for Childcare Grant Student Finance Wales will send you a copy of the form.

Receiving the grant

Childcare Grant is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. This will only happen after youve registered on your course and your attendance has been confirmed by your university or college.

You then need to ensure that you pay your chosen registered childcare provider(s).

Avoiding a grant overpayment: You need to be accurate when completing the CCG1 form, these will prevent Childcare Grant overpayment. If you have a childcare provider, you're asked to provide estimates but if you overestimate, any overpayment will be deducted from future payments.

If youve left your course, youll need to repay any grant overpayment. Well contact you to arrange repayment.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Completed Childcare Grant Application Form
  • You must also include evidence of your child dependants.
  • You and your childcare provider must confirm actual childcare costs by sending in a Childcare Costs Confirmation Form (CCG2). This will be sent to you at 3 points during the year, usually after 8 and 21 weeks from the start of the academic year and again at the end of your course. Its important that a correctly completed form is returned to Student Finance Wales within 6 weeks of the CCG2 being received or your childcare will be removed.
The CCG2 will be sent to you when you need to complete it. Make sure that your forms are also signed and dated by your childcare provider(s).

If you apply for a Childcare Grant Allowance you'll need to send in the following evidence :

  • Evidence of your child dependants, send in one of the following:
    • original Birth certificate for each child
    • original certificate of Naturalisation for each child
    • original Home Office documentation confirming your children's names and dates of birth.
  • Proof your children are dependent on you, send in one of the following:
    • your most recent Tax Credits or Universal Credit Award Notice naming all your children; or
    • all pages of your most recent Child Benefit letter naming all children.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Student Finance Wales
Telephone 0300 200 4050
Minicom 0300 100 1693

Opening hours are:
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm
Sunday Closed

PO Box 211
Llandudno Junction,
LL30 9FU




Before you receive any funding for your higher education course at university or college youll need to meet certain eligibility criteria.

Nationality and residency status:

You can apply if you meet ALL of the following three conditions:

  1. you're a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay);
  2. you normally live in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course (usually before 1 September); and
  3. you've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course.

To those who do not meet all of the three conditions: you can still apply for support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed:

  • you're an EU national, or family member of an EU national;
  • you're a refugee;
  • you're under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum);
  • you're a migrant worker;
  • you're a child of a Swiss national; or
  • you're a child of a Turkish worker

You must also normally be living in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Your course:

  • First Degree eg Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education (BA, BSc or BEd)
  • Foundation Degree
  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT)

Student Finance Wales does not fund postgraduate courses unless they lead to a qualification in Initial Teacher Training.

If you are planning on applying for a second undergraduate degree, funding is available for some courses, in subjects such as medicine or dentistry.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) are available for certain postgraduate students that have a disability.

Your university or college: Applicants must be studying a designated course at a publicly-funded university or college, unless you are studying a specifically designated course at a private university or college.

Private universities and colleges can set their own tuition fee level and there is no restriction on the amount they can charge. A course at a private university or college needs to have been specifically designated by the Welsh Government in order to attract student support. You can apply to Student Finance Wales for a maximum Tuition Fee Loan of 6,000 but you wont be eligible for a Fee Grant.

Your age: To qualify for a Maintenance Loan you need to be under the age of 60 when you start your course.

There's no upper age limit to qualify for grants or a Tuition Fee Loan.

In case you are not sure if you are eligible to apply for the grant, you can get in touch with Student Finance Wales on 0300 200 4050.

You may not be eligible to receive a childcare grant if either you or your partner claims the childcare element of Working Tax Credits, Universal Credit or NHS funded childcare grants.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]



If you dont have a childcare provider at the time you apply, you can still be assessed for Childcare Grant but this will be capped at 115 per week or 85% of actual costs, whichever is lower. A reassessment will be carried out using your full costs once you supply childcare provider details.

By applying for a Childcare Grant you can receive up to 85% of your childcare costs up to a maximum of:

  • 161.50 a week for one child; or
  • 274.55 a week for two or more children.

Required Information[edit]

You will need the following information to complete the Childcare Grant Application Form (CCG1):

  • children
  • registered childcare providers details and
  • accurately estimated weekly costs.

Note: Do not forget to sign and date the form.


Need for the Document[edit]

You can receive a Childcare Grant towards the cost of your childcare if you have children in registered and approved childcare.

Entitlement to a Childcare Grant depends on the applicants income, that of their partner, children and any other dependants.

Following is a procedure on how you can apply for a Childcare Grant.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Student Finance Wales:



More information which might help people.