Walajah - Obtain Electricity Connection
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
This procedure explains various ways to Obtain Electricity Connection in Walajah.
- Applicant should approach the Electricity Board Office (Section Office) under the jurisdiction where he/she resides.
- Complete the application form (Form-I)and deliver the application to the Section Office either in person or by post along with proper documents to prove the legal ownership of the premises for which electricity supply is required and obtain proper acknowledgement.
- On receipt of an application, a notice will be sent to the intending consumer for fixing the meter at a convenient place in the ground floor with easy accessibility for inspection. (All storied buildings, irrespective of the number of floors have to provide place for fixing meter in the ground floor.)
- Later notice or Letter will be issued indicating the prescribed charges payable.
- On receipt of charges only the extension works will be taken up and executed.
- The proposed consumer shall permit the licensee, free of cost to use any land belonging to the consumer that may be required for erecting poles, etc. The consumer shall arrange necessary ways for laying of lines and poles at his own expense.
- The authorized person specified by the authority does all the wiring work. After completion of the wiring, the intending consumer must send the notice upon the form available free of cost from the offices of the TNEB to the Engineer that the installation has been completed and tested and that the same is complete and ready for inspection and test by the Engineer.
- A notice will be sent to the intending consumer to avail supply within the set period.
- Proof of ownership (Sale deed or property/Water/Sewerage Tax receipt)
- Aadhaar Card
- When the applicant is not the owner of the premises:
- Consent letter from the owner of the premises (or)
- Proof of legal occupation (including lease deed) with the following:
- Indemnity Bond in Form 6
- Letter of acceptance to pay security deposit at twice the normal rate.
- Compliance by the intending consumer of other laws of the State of Tamil Nadu relating to the obtaining of permit or approval or sanction or consent from the appropriate authorities as mentioned in such laws in regard to construction, alteration or repairs to buildings or establishment of new industries or factories or other establishments for which supply of electricity is required by such intending consumer.
- As per Division Bench Order dated 23.8.2006, for all special/multistoried buildings in Chennai Metropolitan area, Planning permit from competent authority has to be submitted along with application and Completion Certificate from competent authority has to be submitted before effecting supply.
Office Locations & Contacts
- Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB)
144 Anna Salai,
Chennai - 600 002
Phone : 044-28520171 to 28520961
Email : [email protected]
Web : www.tneb.org
- Energy Department
Government of Tamil Nadu
Secretariat, St. George Fort
Chennai - 600 009
- Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory
No.17, 3rd Main Road,
Seethamal Colony, Alwarpet,
Chennai - 600 017
Phone : 044-24354982, 24342037
Fax : 044-24354930
Email : [email protected]
- Central Electricity Regulatory
7th Floor, Core - 3, Scope Complex,
7 Institution Area, Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110 066
Phone : 011-24360000, 243654960
Web : www.cercind.org
- Tamil Nadu Energy
Development Agency (TEDA)
5th Floor, E.V.K. Sambath Maaligai
Chennai - 600 006
Phone : 044-28224830, 28236592
- Central Electricity Authority (CEA)
R K Puram
New Delhi - 110 066
Phone : 011-26108476, 26105619
Web : www.cea.nic.in
- Ministry of Power
Government of India
Shram Shakti Bhavan
New Delhi - 110 001
You must be owner or occupier of any premises.
- The registration fees for Domestic and low-tension service costs rupees 50 for single phase as well as three phases.
- Service Connection Charges for Metering Domestic and other Low Tension Service costs about Rupees 250 per service under single phase. In case of three phases it will cost Rupees 500 per service.
- The charges for 3.0. Meter Caution Deposit under Domestic and Low Tension Service for Single Phase costs Rupees 700/meter. In case of three phases, it costs Rupees 2500/meter.
- There is Current Consumption Deposit of rupees 200/sc for single-phase connection and a deposit of rupees 600/KW for three-phase connection.
- A development charge of rupees 400/sc is collected for single phase and a charge of rupees 1400/sc is collected for three phases.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
All Forms are available by clicking the following link Forms
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Tamil Nadu - Obtain Electricity Connection - In English
தமிழ்நாடு - மின்சக்தி இணைப்பு - தமிழ்
You can apply for Domestic or commercial service connection in Form-1 which is obtainable free of cost from the Section Office.
An intending consumer who is not the owner of the property shall produce a consent letter from the owner of the premises for availing the supply. This is given in (Form-5). In case the owner is unavailable or refuse to give consent letter, the intending consumer shall produce proof for being a lawful occupant of the premises and also execute an guarantee bond in Form- 6 and accept to pay a security deposit which is twice the normal rate. Deliver the application to the Section Office either in person or by post and obtain proper acknowledgement.
Upon receipt of an application for supply of electricity, a notice will be sent to the intending consumer that the authorized representative has to meet the Engineer to agree on the place for fixing the meter at a convenient place in the ground floor with easy accessibility for inspection.
All storied buildings, irrespective of the number of floors have to provide place for fixing meter in the ground floor. Notice or Letter will be issued indicating the prescribed charges payable within specific period from the date of receipt of advice. On receipt of charges only the extension works will be taken up and executed.
The proposed consumer shall permit the licensee, free of cost to use any land belonging to the consumer that may be required for erecting poles, etc. The consumer shall arrange necessary ways for laying of lines and poles at his own expense.
The authorized person specified by the authority does all the wiring work. After completion of the wiring, the intending consumer must send the notice upon the form available free of cost from the offices of the TNEB to the Engineer that the installation has been completed and tested and that the same is complete and ready for inspection and test by the Engineer. A notice will be sent to the intending consumer to avail supply within the set period.
If an electricity line passes within 200m of your residence, you will get consent for wiring the residence.
Need for the Document
According to Section 27 of the Walajah Electricity Distribution Code, it is mandatory to provide supply of electricity to the owner or occupier of any premises, when they apply for electricity connection. The person who needs electricity supply should pay to the Distribution Licensee. The appropriate authority may determine this price. The terms and conditions for obtaining connection include the fact that the occupant must be in lawful occupation of the premises and also execute an indemnity bond in the form prescribed by the Board.
Information which might help
- LIST OF ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION CIRCLES IN TAMIL NADU
1) Chennai North
2) Chennai - Central
3) Chennai South
4) Chennai - West
COIMBATORE REGION 1) Coimbatore Metro 2) Coimbatore - North 3) Coimbatore South 4) Nilgiris (Ooty) 5) Udumalpet
ERODE REGION 1) Erode 2) Salem 3) Mettur 4) Gobi
MADURAI REGION 1) Madurai 2) Dindigul 3) Madurai (Metro) 4) Ramanathapuram 5) Sivagangai 6) Theni
TIRUNELVELI REGION 1) Tirunelveli 2) Tuticorin 3) Kanyakumari 4) Virudhunagar
TRICHY REGION 1) Trichy Metro 2) Trichy North 3) Karur 4) Thanjavur 5) Pudukottai 6) Nagapattinam
VELLORE REGION 1) Vellore 2) Thirupattur 3) Dharmapuri 4) Kancheepuram
VILLUPURAM REGION 1) Villupuram 2) Cuddalore 3) Thiruvannamalai
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Procedure for obtaining Domestic/Commercial Service Connection explained in Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Limited (TANGEDCO)
How to Apply for a Domestic / Commercial Electricity Connection?
How to get a new Electricity connection in Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
More information which might help to make this process in Walajah can be obtained below.
Retain photocopies of your application and receipts for your records.