Vellore - Obtain a marriage certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
This procedure explains various ways to Obtain a marriage certificate in Vellore.
- Registration of marriage is applicable for
- Marriage solemnized already.
- Marriage planned before the registrar.
- Marriage planned in a Temple/Marriage hall/home.
- Please go to the Sub registrar office and obtain application form for registering your marriage.
- Please visit Sub registrar office and obtain application form for registering your marriage. To find the sub registrar office please use the following Link:Contact Registration Department
- Please fill the form and it has to be duly signed by couple. Please submit the form in the respective section officer along with required documents. Make sure that you are eligible for applying.
- Link for application form: form type1 and form type2 and form type3
- As advised, please make the payment for completing the process. The application will then be processed internally. Applicant will be notified to visit the SRO office to complete the process.
- On said date please go to the office along with witnesses as mentioned and sign before the registrar on the register.
- Applicant will be issued with the certificate on the same day evening.
For solemnized marriage
- Applicant will be asked to provide details like, marriage invitation, wedding photos and witnesses ‘’’In case of marriage planned in Marriage hall/temple/home’’’
- Authority from registration office will go to the ceremony as application made earlier.
- While the marriage is commenced, authority will get the signature of the couples on the oath registry to start the process.
- Certificate will be issued after it was signed by the registrar.
- Application form. Link for form :form type1 and form type2 andform type3
- Completely filled application form signed by both husband and wife.
- Address proof of current residing address which should be on Bride or Grooms name (Proof of Address- Voter ID/ Ration Card/ Passport, Driving License).
- 2 passport sized photographs.
- 2 Photos of Bride and Groom in marriage dress taken during marriage ritual which clearly show that they are taking part in marriage ceremony.
- Separate Marriage Affidavits in prescribed format from Husband & Wife.
- Proof of Date of Birth of both husband and wife (Documents which serve as Proof of Age preferably 10th class mark sheet with date of birth).
- Aadhaar Card
- Marriage Invitation Card
- Three witnesses to certify your marriage.
- All documents must be self attested
- 2 affidavit that couple wish to marry each other willingly free from threats is required fomarriage at court.
- NOTE: If no objection for the marriage is received within 30 days from the notice, marriage will be registered.
Office Locations & Contacts
The Inspector General of Registration:
No.100, Santhome High Road,
Chennai 600 028,
E-mail : [email protected]
Link for contact information:Contact Registration Department
- Eligibility age to get married is 21 for male and 18 for female.
- Marriages solemnized under any personal law can be registered.
- A marriage which has already been solemnized can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable in cases where both the husband and the wife are Hindus,Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, or in cases where they have converted into any of these religions.
- In case either the husband or the wife or both are not Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, the marriage is registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954
- The charge will vary, if registered after two months of marriage date.
- Note: You cannot apply for marriage certificate if you have not attained the age limit as this will be treated as offense.
- Authorities will provide fee details when you approach for the process
- Fee details are provided in this link: Fees Details
Marriage certificate shall be valid forever.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The entire process will take 45 Days from the date of application
Tamil Nadu - Obtain a Marriage Certificate - English
தமிழ்நாடு - திருமண சான்றிதழ் பெறுதல் - தமிழ்
- A Marriage Certificate is the proof of registration of a marriage. Marriage Registration is done at the Sub-Registrar's office.
- In India, a marriage can be registered under either of the two Marriage Acts: the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- To be eligible for marriage, the minimum age limit is 21 for males and 18 for females. The parties to a hindu marriage should be unmarried or divorced, or if previously married, the spouse by that marriage should not be alive. In addition, the parties should be physically and mentally healthy and must not be related in a way prohibited by the law.
- The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable only to the Hindus, whereas the Special Marriage Act is applicable to all citizens of India.
- The Hindu Marriage Act provides for registration of an already solemnised marriage. It does not provide for solemnisation of a marriage by the Registrar. The Special Marriage Act provides for solemnisation of a marriage as well as registration by a Marriage Officer.
- You can apply online for your marriage certificate if you already registered your marriage.
- Particulars of Husband / Husband's Father/Mother and Wife / Wife's Father/Mother
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Marital Status before the date of marriage of Husband and wife
- Permanent Address
- Present Address
- Passport Number (If available)
- Particulars of NRI of both Husband and wife (If any)
- Date of Marriage
- Place of Marriage
- Name and Address of the person who solemnized the Marriage. (If any)
- Place, namely the Village, Taluk and District where the marriage was solemnized, with full address.
- Particulars of 3 witness
Need for the Document
A Marriage Certificate is the proof of registration of a marriage and it is the official record that two people have undertaken a marriage ceremony. The need for a Marriage Certificate arises in case you need to prove that you are legally married to someone, for purposes like obtaining a passport, changing your maiden name, etc. To obtain the marriage certificate first you need register your marriage.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people in Vellore can be listed here.