Vellore - Apply for New Firearm (Gun) License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
This procedure explains various ways to Apply for New Firearm (Gun) License in Vellore.
- In order to apply for arm gun license in Tamil Nadu, applicant has to apply with the respective Commissioner of police(COP) or the equivalent cadre authority for his/her area.
- Link for contact: Commissioner Of Police and link2
- Application form Form A can be obtained from the office while you visit. Or can be downloaded from the following link: Form for Arm License
- Make sure that applicant is eligible for applying.
- Please make sure that the documents are in hand before applying.
- Complete the application form and submit along with required documents to the authority.
- After the application is received, proper entry of records in registry will be made and then request will be forwarded to process.
- Application will be forwarded to local police station for verification.
- Competent authorities make through assessments regarding
- threat based requirements of the arms by the applicant
- capabilities of use
- safe handling of the arms by the applicant
- physical fitness of the applicant for capabilities of handling the arms
- antecedent, etc..
- The report will be sent to respective commissioner of Police.
- If the report is satisfactory and the applicant is considered then the license will be granted.
- Applicant should fill in NDAL (National Database on Arms License) : Data Input Form
- Submit it to the Arms Act Department for uploading in the National Database and generate Unique ID.
Apply for Renewal
- Make sure you have the application form for applying. Link: form
- Please make sure that the documents are in hand before applying
- Application for renewal of Arms License in the specified format should be submitted one month before the date of expiry of arms license
- The licensee should produce his/her weapon and license for inspection at the time of renewal and pay the renewal fees.
- If the Licensee is a senior citizen, the competent authority may verify physical fitness and mental alertness.
- If required, address and current antecedent may be verified through local PS.
- Renewal will be done immediately and the necessary thing about renewal will be made in the license.
- Application form. Link: for form
- Address proof
- Physical fitness certificate
- Weapon training certificate
- Property certificate
- Business certificate
- Valid Arms license in original form.
- Recent passport size photo
- Weapon Deposit certificate in case of expiry of renewal date.
- Two self attested Proof of present residential address.
- Ration card
- Aadhaar card
- Income tax returns
- Pan card
- In case of Individual
- Application form
- Proof of address
- Original License
- Senior citizen should produce fitness and mental alertness certificate
- In case of Companies and Bank applying
- Application form
- Proof of address
- Original License
- IT returns
Office Locations & Contacts
COMMISSIONER OF POLICE,
GREATER CHENNAI POLICE,
No. 132, COMMISSIONER OFFICE BUILDING,
EVK SAMPATH ROAD, VEPERY,
Ph: +91 044 - 25615048, 28555064
Email: [email protected]
Link for contact information: Contact for police commissioner
- The license authority shall refuse to grant a license:
- Where such license is required in respect of any prohibited arms or prohibited ammunition
- Where such is required by a person whom the licensing authority has reason to believe:
- To be prohibited by the Indian Arms Rules or by any other law for the time being in force from acquiring, having in his possession or carrying any arms or ammunition.
- To be of unsound mind.
- To be for any reason unfit for a license.
- Fee information can be obtained directly from the department office while applying.
- Fees may vary in variation of the arms
- A license is valid for 3 years from the date on which it is granted (unless revoked earlier) and need to be renewed before one month of expiry
- License may be granted for a shorter period also, if the person by whom the license is required desires or if the licensing authority decides
- License is renewable from time to time - Even the authority can ask for renewal in between the renewal period for recording purpose
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- Fresh license can be issued at a maximum of one month
Tamil Nadu - Apply for New Firearm (Gun) License
தமிழ்நாடு - புதிய துப்பாக்கியால் (துப்பாக்கி) உரிமத்திற்கு விண்ணப்பித்தல்
- Applicants may approach the Office of the Deputy Commissioner who is in charge of issuing Firearms License.
- On receiving the application, the licensing department checks if the applicant has a past criminal record and verifies address.
- Neighbours are questioned whether the applicant gets involved in brawls and arguments in the neighbourhood frequently.
- The applicant is then called for an interview with DCP to determine if he is mentally, physically sound.
- Applicant should also have a 'valid' reason for wanting to own a gun. Self-defence is counted as one of the reasons
- The licensing department also sends the applicant's details to the crime record office of the crime branch as well as the national crime record bureau.
- The applicant is then called for an interview with the DCP licensing.
- If the applicant clears all the above steps, he is granted arms licence book.
- Then, the applicant has to purchase the weapon within six months of the issued date of the arms license book.
- After purchasing the weapon, applicant has to come to the Arms Licensing Branch and submit the purchased weapon, an application for the entry of the weapon, receipt from the Gun house, and the arms license book.
- After inspection, the District Magistrate signs the Arms License book, and the book is issued to the applicant.
- Name of Applicant
- Present and permanent address
- Date of birth, age
- Occupation and designation
- Whether the applicant has been:
- Convicted if so, (the offenses),the sentence and date of sentence.
- Ordered to execute a bond under chapter VIII of Cr. P. C. for keeping the peace or for good behavior if so when and for what period.
- Prohibited under the Arms Act, 1959 or any other law from having the arms/ ammunition.
- Whether the applicant applied for a licence before if so when to whom & with what result.
- Whether the applicants licence was over suspended or cancelled/ revoked if so, when and by whom and on what account.
- Whether any other member of the applicants family is in possession of an arms licenses if so particulars thereof.
- Whether the applicant :
- Is a licensee or esteem if so, description of arms hold.
- Has a safe place for keep the arm.
- Particulars of Licence
Need for the Document
Any person who wishes to carry firearms must first secure a license to do so. Every application for the grant of a license shall be submitted in Form A.
Information which might help
To know more about obtaining and carrying firearms see Indian Arms Rules 2010: Arms Rules 2010
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people in Vellore can be listed here.