Wikiprocedure > United States

United States - Single Status Certificate / Affidavit of Single Status

From Wikiprocedure
Revision as of 10:14, 8 March 2023 by Wesley (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search



Apply In-Person

  1. To Single Status Certificate / Affidavit of Single Status, the applicant has to approach the United States Court - link
    NOTE: Search by address, city, state or ZIP Code and click the “Location” button
  2. An application form will be provided to the applicant by the concerned officer.
  3. The applicant has to fill in all the necessary details in the application form. (Incomplete applications are not accepted)
  4. Make sure that the applicant has attached all the necessary documents that are mentioned in the “Required Documents” section of this page.
  5. The applicant has to attach the photocopies of the required documents along with the application form while submitting.
  6. Submit all the essential documents along with the completed application form to the concerned office.
  7. The fee detail for this procedure is mentioned in the “Fees” section of this page.
  8. After receiving the application, the concerned authority will check the submitted application and document set. If all are in place, the application will be accepted.
  9. Once the process gets completed, the applicant gets a notification through mail or email.
  10. The applicant has to visit the office for further process to complete.
  11. The processing time for a Single Status Certificate / Affidavit of Single Status takes up to 4 – 8 weeks.


Required Documents

  • Passport
  • Valid Driver's License
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security number
  • If divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed, Death Certificate of previous spouse (and Marriage Certificate).
  • The relevant fee
  • I-94 (if came as a refugee in united states)

Office Locations & Contacts

Division of Vital Statistics
National Center for Health Statistics
3311 Toledo Rd
Hyattsville, MD 20782
1 (800) 232-4636
Where to Write for Vital Records

U.S. Embassies and Consulates


If you are a U.S. citizen or legal resident planning to marry outside of the country, you may need a single status affidavit. This document affirms that you are not already legally married and are free to marry under the laws of the country that requires the affidavit. Single status affidavits need to be signed before a notary.


The fee for the certificate is $30 U.S. dollars and can be paid in USD in the form of cash, credit card or traveler's checks.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.

Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 


An affidavit is a written statement that is sworn to by the affiant, the individual making the statement. A single status affidavit states that you are free to marry. A U.S. court may have blank affidavits; as an alternative, you may create one on your own or use an official form provided by the country that requires it.

A single status affidavit must carry a statement that you have either never been married, or are currently free to marry after a legal divorce. If you have been divorced, a copy of the final decree issued by the court presiding over the divorce should be attached to the affidavit. The country requiring the affidavit may require that its own agent or official must witness or certify your signature.

  • Access the website of the nearest American Consulate or Embassy in the country where you are. For a full list of addresses, phone numbers and websites for each consulate, visit the embassy section of the website of the U.S. Department of State at
  • You can obtain your single status certificate by contacting either Embassy or Consulate in the country where you are.

Required Information

  • Family name
  • Given Names
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Age at present
  • Mothers Full Name
  • Fathers Full Name
  • Citizenship
  • Residential Address
  • Marital status declaration
  • Affirmation/Oath

Need for the Document

Affidavit of Single Status is a sworn statement in which the affiant attests that they are single and may marry freely.

If you are planning to get married outside your country of origin, and you are not a citizen of this country, proper documentation must be provided. Among this documentation is a single status Certificate. This certificate, stating that you are currently unmarried, might be required prior to receiving a marriage license. Each country has separate laws regarding the single status certificate.

Information which might help

A notary witnesses your signature and then verify your identity with a current and valid form of identification. The notary then signs the document and either stamps the paper near the signature or affixes an official seal. This stamp or seal reveals the state in which the notary is licensed and in some cases the expiration date of the notary's commission. A notary, or a court clerk serving as a notary, usually charges a fee for this service.

Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

This document will most likely be required as a supporting document if you are getting married in a foreign country.

This document can also be required for employment in a foreign country.

External Links How to obtain a Single status certificate in US

Apostille US Single Status Affidavit

National Vital Statistics System

The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal

American Hometowns Cities, Counties, and Towns

Federal Judicial Branch


Authentication Documents which are destined to be presented in a foreign country must undergo a procedure of authentication. If the target jurisdiction is not party to The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, then foreign authentication is a must. The procedure is a multi-level process which involves cooperation of local authorities, state authorities, federal government and the consulate or even the embassy of a foreign country.

Each country sets forth their unique rules and requirements for authentication, legalization and attestation procedures. Depending on the type of documents in question such procedures may vary significantly in terms of form of the document, processing time, certification levels and the fees.

Authenticating, legalizing and attesting documents for foreign use is an intricate procedure that must be managed properly on each step of the entire process. To successfully perform such task it is crucial to have all the required information well beforehand. Many consulates and embassies require official certified translation of the documents to be presented with the originals, while others may require an appointment for document submission.

Another caveat is that even though your target country does not require legalization by the embassy, the foreign authorities may still require attestation from the consulate. This is a normal procedure and may embassies will perform the services.