Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom

United Kingdom - Single Status Certificate / Certificate of No Impediment (No Objection to Marriage)

From Wikiprocedure
Revision as of 14:26, 27 June 2019 by Shifa (talk | contribs) (Required Documents)
Jump to: navigation, search


The Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) is now regularly requested of UK citizens that intend to marry abroad. Similar documents are used in other countries but within the UK the CNI is an official government issued document. When planning to get married overseas it is common that the authorities in that country will request a Certificate of No Impediment. This document is a way of proving that there is no Impediment/Obstruction in allowing you to be married and shows that there has been no objection to your proposed marriage.

Apply in person

  • If you are a British National living overseas and wish to also be married outside of the UK then you cannot contact a UK Registry Office. Instead, you may have to visit the closest British Embassy to you who will then complete the process on your behalf or provide alternative documentation.
  • Obtaining the CNI can also vary based on who you are marrying, for example, if you are to be marrying an Irish National then you will need to obtain the CNI from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office directly, if you live in the UK.
  • After you obtain your CNI overseas, you should find out from the authority in that country if they require legislation called an Apostille, which can be obtained from the foreign and commonwealth office or some organization can do that for you. For example the hague apostille
  • If you live in the UK and wish to obtain the CNI then you would simply need to contact your local Registry Office to arrange for an appointment and inform them that you wish to bemarried and require the CNI. NOTE: as there can often be an 8 week wait for appointments you should plan well ahead.
  • As part of the process you will may be asked to provide various supporting documents as evidence of your nationality, address and current marital status. It is advisable to clarify what the document requirements of the register office are when booking your appointment.
  • Once notice is taken it is then displayed for a legal waiting period of 28 clear days before the Certificate of No Impediment can be issued.
  • Once the certificate has been issued the apostille can be attached so that the document will be accepted when presented overseas in an official capacity.
  • The certificate is often referred to as a certificate of non-impediment but this is the same document

Required Documents

At the appointment you will need to provide evidence of:
  Nationality – one of the following

  1. Valid passport; or
  2. Nationality identity card; or
  3. Citizenship certificate confirming British Citizenship; or
  4. British birth certificates 
  5. If you were born prior to 1 January 1983 we will need to see either your full or short birth certificate.
  6. If you were born after 1 January 1983 we will need to see your full birth certificate, which includes your parents' details, PLUS either your mother or father's birth certificate if your parents were married when you were born.  If your parents were unmarried when you were born then only your mother's birth certificate can be accepted.  If your parents were born outside the UK, then you must provide evidence of British nationality at the time of your birth.

Address – one of the following:

  1. Utility bill dated no more than 3 months prior to the date of the appointment; or
  2. Bank or building society statement or passbook dated no more than one month prior to the date of the appointment; or
  3. Council tax bill dated no more than one year prior to the date of the appointment; or
  4. Mortgage statement from the last 12 months; or
  5. Current residential tenancy agreement; or
  6. Valid driving license in the name of the person giving Notice of Marriage; or
  7. Letter from the owner or proprietor of the address which is the person's place of residence.

This letter must include:

  1. The name, address, date and signature of the owner / proprietor;
  2. Confirmation that this person is the owner / proprietor; and
  3. Confirmation of the name of the person giving Notice and that they have been resident at the address for at least the 8 days immediately prior to the Notice appointment. Evidence of your age - If either of you are under the age of 18 we will need to see proof that your parent, or guardians, agree to the marriage.  If your parents are divorced we may also need to see

the court order that gives custody to one of them
  Name – evidence of any name change (marriage certificate; deed poll etc)
  Evidence of condition – one of the following (as appropriate)

  1. Decree absolute – if granted outside England and Wales, then the final divorce documents issued along with a full translation, if written in any language other than English.
  2. The death certificate of the spouse – if the person remarrying is not mentioned on the death certificate then you must also provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate.
  3. The presumed death certificate of the spouse Only original documents can be provided.  Photocopies will not be accepted
  4. If you do not bring all the required original, valid documentation they will not be able to complete your notice and a further appointment will have to be booked and paid for.

Advertise On This Page

Office Locations & Contacts

General Register Office
[email protected] (include GQ in the subject of your email)
Telephone: 0300 123 1837
Text phone: 18001 0300 123 1837
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 4pm

General Register Office
PO Box 2

Certificates of No Impediment
Consular Directorate
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
King Charles Street

General Register Offices
Search for your local register office
Embassies of United Kingdom Abroad



In most cases, if you are marrying overseas and you live in the UK, you can obtain a CNI from your local register office. If you live overseas, you should contact your nearest British Embassy or Consulate who will be able to provide you with details on how to apply for a CNI. There are exceptions to this (principally for marriages in Commonwealth countries or if you are marrying an Irish national) and further details on these can be found below.


The fee for this service is 65.00 (not including postage; price correct, March 2013) but this is subject to change.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Advertise On This Page

Related Videos

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



You should check with the authorities in the country where you are marrying whether they can accept the CNI as issued by the UK registrar or if it must be exchanged for a locally acceptable version (iea certificate in the local language) issued by the British Embassy or Consulate. If it needs to be exchanged for a locally acceptable version please contact the nearest British Embassy or Consulate to where you are getting married who will be able to do this for you.

If the authorities will accept the CNI as issued in the UK you should also check whether it needs to be legalised or translated into the local language.

Legalised means the certificate needs to be stamped with an official stamp (an apostille) by the UK Legalisation Office. We can do this for you - see our Legalisation pages for more information.

If you need to have your CNI translated please contact the Institute of Linguists who will be able to provide you details of certified translators.

Required Information

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Gender
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses

Need for the Document

A Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) is a certificate which confirms there are no objections to your proposed marriage.

If you are getting married overseas, you may be asked to prove that you are single or that you are allowed to marry. In most cases, you will be able to obtain a CNI for this purpose. You should check with the authorities in the country where you are getting married if you need a CNI.

Information which might help

Also known as a Certificate of No Impediment, Single Status Affidavit or Certificate, Certificate of No Record or Single Status Statutory Declaration, this is a sworn statement certifying that you are legally eligible to marry.

A UK Certificate of No Impediment can be issued either in the UK by a district superintendent registrar at your local registry office or a British Embassy Consular official if you are abroad.

If you are getting married abroad, you may need to provide a certified translation of your Certificate of No Impediment.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

This document will most likely be required as a supporting document if you are getting married in a foreign country.

This document can also be required for employment in a foreign country.

External Links

Departments, agencies and public bodies

UK Government

Foreign and Commonwealth Office


Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.