United Kingdom - Apply for Criminal Record Check (CRB, DBS)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Visit the Government of United Kingdom (GOV.UK) website to apply online via this link: Apply Online
- Read the instructions carefully and click on the “Star now” tab to commence your application but first you will need to validate your Identity.
- In the next page, there are two option for validating your identity; you can opt for the GOV.UK to verify or by European digital identity method according to the EU country you come from.
- With the GOV.UK, click on the “Use GOV.UK Verify” tab and in the next page choose, if you have an account to sign in or to create an account. If you don’t have one you can create an account by clinking on “Continue”, fill the questioner accordingly then submit it by hitting the “Continue” tab and create an account using one of the certified companies provided and complete you Identity verification
- You will receive a feedback in your email account with your verified identification status.
- Proceed and complete the application and pay the application fee.
- Upon completion of processing the application, the DBS certificate will be sent to you via the mailing address you provided.
You can request a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check on behalf of an employee by:
- Choose a certified company for the listed responsible organization registered with the DBS to process the check.
- Once you have, submitted the application through the company of your choice, you will receive a notification in your email with the payment details.
- Pay the required service charge and application fees as prescribed by the company.
- Then the company will carry out the check and notify you of the outcome once it is complete via your contacts.
- They will send the DBS certificate to your through your post.
Request by Post Office
- Start by filling the online request platform through this link Online Request and submit your requested original documents to the post office for verification and processing, pay the required application fees and your DBS certificate will be processed and sent you via your postal address
Request through Certified Companies
- You can submit your application through certified private companies that provide DBS services, note that the companies have different policies. View the list of registered companies with the DBS through this list: List of Registered Companies
- All your addresses for the last 5 years and the dates you lived there
- Your National Insurance number
- Your passport
- Your driving license
Office Locations & Contacts
DBS customer Services
PO Box 3961
Royal Wootton Bassett
Telephone: 0300 0200 190
Welsh: 0300 0200 191
Minicom: 0300 0200 192
International: +44 151 676 9390
Email: [email protected]
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (9am to 5pm for appeals and disputes)
Saturday, 10am to 5pm
- You Must be based in England or Wales to apply for a standard or enhanced DBS check
Refer to this link for more details: Eligibility Related Information
- Application fees is 23 Euro
- You can pay for a basic DBS check yourself or you can get someone to pay for you for example, an employer or relative.
- You can pay with a debit or credit card. You can also use Google Pay or Apple Pay.
- If you pay the fee yourself, you need to pay it when you apply.
- If someone else pays, they must pay the fee within 10 days of your application being submitted.
- The Certificate does not have any validity period
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- 14 working days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- You can view your certificate using their DBS online account : DBS Online Account after logging in, select ‘Manage DBS checks’, request a one-time passcode and enter the required security information. Your DBS applications will then be shown, and you can view the necessary certificate.
- Full Names
- Address Details
- Documents details
Need for the Document
- This DBS certificate is requested by employers at the time they are employing you and it states past criminal record
Information which might help
- Guide line for applicants: More info
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.