Uganda - Register for Free Hold Land Title
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The Applicant must have in his/her possession fully completed Forms 4, 10, 19, 23; a set of three (3) authentic deed plans, three (3) Passport Photographs, Area Land Committee Report, District Land Officer Technical Report, Receipts of Payment and a forwarding letter requesting for a Freehold title signed by the District Land Officer of the respective District where the land is located.
- The Applicant presents the full set of original documents in duplicate and a photocopy of the same, to the Department of Land Administration for Checking. The Photocopy will be stamped ‘Received’ and returned to the Applicant as an acknowledgment of receipt. The Applicant checks with the Department of Land Administration after ten (10) working days to confirm their approval or rejection.
Step 3: Once approved, the documents will be forwarded to the Office of Titles for issuance of a Freehold Land Title. The applicant checks after twenty (20) working days.
- The applicant presents the photocopy given to him/her by the Department of Land Administration stamped ‘Received’ (as an acknowledgment of submission of documents) and identification documents on collecting the Freehold Title. The applicant signs for the Title and the ‘acknowledgment document, (the photocopy), will be stamped ‘Returned’ on completion.
- Form 4, 10, 19, 23,
- A set of Deed Plans,
- Set of Passport photographs,
- General receipts of Payment
- Requesting letter.
- Survey and marks tones report
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Lands, Housing & Urban,
Century Building – Parliament
Avenue. P.O.Box 7096 Kampala, Uganda
. Tel: +256 414 373511. / 0414 230891
Fax No.: 0414 230891
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. email@example.com;
Tel: +256 204660000, +256 414581294
- District Land Offices (DLOs)
- District Land Offices (DLOs)
- Office of the Recorder (OR)
- Area Land Committees (ALCs)
- Ministry Zonal Offices (MZOs)in all Districts of Uganda
- District Land Boards (DLBs)In All Districts in Uganda
- Anyone who owns former public land can apply for a freehold land title.
Fees paid at the Ministry:
- Registration fees – 10,000;
- Assurance of Title - 20,000/=;
- Issuance of the Title – 20,000/=.
- A freehold land title has no validity period as long as it is issued by the authorized body and transfer of title to another person is not made.
Documents to Use
- Transfer and Consent Forms
- Mutation Form
- Receipts of Payment
- Application for certificate of freehold leasehold.
- Notice to show cause why tenant should request for a freehold land.
- Application for conversion from customary tenure to freehold tenure/grant of freehold
- Application for conversion of leasehold out of former public land to freehold
- Letter requesting for a Freehold title signed by the District Land Officer
- Notice of hearing of Application for grant of freehold
- Grant of freehold by District Land Boards
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Processing time may be twenty (20)working days to four (4) weeks; however when the new digitalized process of the lands office is completed, chasing a freehold land title will be taking minutes instead of weeks.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/vProcessing time may be twenty (20)working day to four (4) weeks; however when the new digitalized process of the lands office is completed, chasing a freehold land title will be taking minutes instead of weeks.ideo&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Visit the ministry of lands to acquire necessary application forms and accurately fill them;
- Make copies of all the necessary documents;
- Make all payments; and
- Submit application to the land office
- Full name and address of applicant;
- Details of the Land in question i.e. location, plot and block numbers;
- Details of original owner.
- Area Land Committee Report
- District Land Officer Technical Report
Need for the Document
- A freehold land title is a holder of a registered land in perpetuity with full powers of ownership that including developing the land.
Information which might help
It is important to note that:
- All payments attract an additional bank charge.
- Fees charged by the department are provided for under the law in the twenty-second schedule of the registration of titles act CAP 230
- Where an instrument of lease/ sub-lease or mortgage is dodged in triplicate, an additional of Ugandan shillings 2,000/= is charged.
- On lodgment of any instrument or other document whose purpose is to deal with an effect more than one certificate of title, mortgage or lease for each entry after the first one, Ugx shillings 5,000/= is charged.
- Compensation to any tenant on the land will be done by the applicant.
- The offer is conditional on the terms and conditions of the grant of freehold being accepted within forty five days of the date of the offer.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.