Uganda - Register as Surveyor Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
A person to be registered as a land surveyor, technician or chainman should apply to the Board for a Licence or a certificate of practice.
Below are the steps to follow:
- Pick a registration form from the Board offices.
- Fill and return to the Board.
- The Board shall forward the forms to the Institution of Surveyors of Uganda.
- The Institution of Surveyors of Uganda will process and forward them back to the Board.
- Membership & Professional Practice Committee of the Board sits,considers and makes recommendation to the Board.
- The Board sits and considers the application.
- Applicant is informed of the Board’s decision whether to issue the applicant a certificate or a refusal to grant the certificate.
- The registrar shall cause to be published in the Gazette, as soon as may be practicable, the name, address and qualifications of any person registered under regulation Act and, subject to the directions of the board, may cause to be published any other alterations made in the register.
- An application for a Licence or a certificate of practice shall Be submitted to the registrar, in the prescribed form and shall be accompanied by the prescribed fees.
- The Board may grant a licence or a certificate of practice with or without conditions
- A licence or certificate issued under subsection (3) shall be valid from the date of issue to the 31st day of December of the year in which it is issued and may be renewed upon application by the land surveyor, technician or chainman.
- A practising Certificate is issued by the Board annually on application by a Registered Surveyor and it expires on 31st December.
- The registrar shall, every twelve months, publish a list of all persons granted licences and certificates of practice in accordance with this section, in at least one newspaper of wide national circulation.
- Where the Board refuses to grant a license or a certificate of practice,the Board shall,within thirty days, inform the applicant of:
- its refusal to grant the certificate and the reasons for the refusal; and
- the right of that person to appeal to the High Court against the decision of the Board.
- An applicant who is aggrieved by the decision of the Board may appeal to the High Court within twenty one days after the receipt of the decision of the Board.
NOTE: One should not practice surveying in Uganda, as defined above without a Registration Certificate and a valid Practicing certificate.
- The applicant’s Name & address.
- Date of entry
- The Qualification of the Applicant.
- Identification Card;
- Passport photo.
- Telephone Contact:
- Email Address:
- Current Employer / Organization
- Specialist area/ Discipline of Surveying
- Level of Membership.
- Other particulars as the board may, from time to time, direct
Office Locations & Contacts
The Surveyors Registration Board.
P.O. BOX 9575, KAMPALA
Chairman,Surveyors Registration Board.
Karobwa House, PLOT 29/29A Nkrumah Road,
Tel: Tel(+256) 414-251-258
Institution of Surveyors of Uganda.
Karobwa Towers, Nkrumah Road.
P.O.Box 2122 Kla Uganda.
Website:Institution of Surveyors of Uganda
Uganda Land Commission
Century Building Siad Barre Avenue
P.O. Box 36408 Kampala Uganda
Web:Uganda land commission
Telephone: (0) 414 235 875/235 884
- Anyone who qualified with minimum qualification at least a degree/Diploma/certificate in Surveying from a recognized institution and registered as surveyor with practicing certificate can apply to be registered as surveyor.
- Minimum experience of 3 year’s clean record of field exposure under the guidance of licensed surveyor
Licence fee: Ugsh.100,000
Valid for 1 year.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
30 working days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
A person shall not perform a survey without a valid Licence or certificate of practice as regulated by the Act.
- Full name and address of applicant;
- Details of the qualification for registration;
- Application form for registration.
- Details of certificate of practice
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- Licenses granted under registration shall be of two categories and shall be known as class A Licence and class B Licence.
- A class A Licence authorizes the licensee to act as a land surveyor in any part of Uganda.
- A class B Licence shall authorize the licensee to undertake only such land surveys as the commissioner may from time to time in writing specifically authorize.
- A person to whom a Licence is granted under the regulation section shall hereafter be known as a licensed surveyor.
- Any person whose Licence has been suspended or cancelled under the Act may apply to the board for the restoration of the Licence, and the board may in its absolute discretion and after such inquiry as it may consider desirable grant or refuse the application.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- contact link AND
- contact link
- registration workshop
- Surveyors Registration Act 1974
- Land surveyors registration
- Survey Act 1939
More information which might help people.