Uganda - Register an Adoption
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
HOW TO APPLY
Uganda citizen adoption registration
- Visit the National Identification Registration Authority (NIRA) officer centre near you with all the required documents and registered with the office of Registrar General
- Approach the services desk and request assistance for the registration of an adoption
- You will be issued with an application form fill in the particular accurately and submit it with the required documents to the attending officer ,who will verify, process the information and enter all the details to the data system of (NIRA) thus your adoption registration petition is finalized
Foreign adoption registration
- The judge will usually order that the Adoption Order be registered with the Embassy of Uganda in the country of the adoptive parents Uganda embassy/consulate worldwide
- Visit the embassy with all the required documents and request application form for your petition, fill it accurately and submit
Requirements for Registration of a completed Adoption in uganda
- An Original or Certified copy of Adoption order.
- Certified copy of the Birth Certificate of adopted child.
- Copies of National IDs or Valid passports of Adopting parents
Requirements for Registration of a completed Adoption with the Embassy
- A Copy of the court judgment granting the adoption.
- A Copy of the adoptive parent's photo IDs.
- A Current photo of the child clearly showing facial features.
- The Full address where the child will reside.(foreign country)
- The Order must also be registered with the Probation office and National Council for Children.
Office Locations & Contacts
National Identification Registration Authority (NIRA)
National Independence Grounds, Kololo Airstrip
P.O.Box 26529, Kampala-Uganda
Tel(Reception): +256 312119600
For Inquiries on National Identification Registration
Call: +256 312119631/+256 312119639
For Inquiries on Birth, Death and Adoption Order Registration
Call: +256 312119601
For Inquiries on Public Relations
Call: +256 312119605
web:Uganda embassy /consulateworldwide
- Citizen and foreigners who wishes to adopt a child from Uganda and have already gone through the initial legal vetting process of adoption
- Free of charge
- Registration of adoption is valid forever, but can provoked the government if the is harm inflicted to the adopted child by the adopted parents
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Adoption is regulated by part viii of the children act cap 59 Laws of Uganda. The registrar of births and deaths is mandated to maintain an adopted children's register in which shall be registered particulars of adoptions.
- Full names of the adoptive parents
- Nationality of the applicant
- Age of the applicant
- Residential address of the applicant
- Name/age/gender of the adopted child
- Phone/email address of the applicant
- Full names/residential address of the biological parents of the adopted child (if applicable)
Need for the Document
- Registration of an adopted child enables the adoptive parent’s full legal custody of the child
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.