Uganda - Register a Trademark
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Conduct a search; carry out a search in the trademarks registry to ascertain whether your trademark exists in the register and if not, whether it is suitable, that is, it is not offensive etc
- Advice by the registrar. You have to get advice from the registrar as to whether the proposed trademark appears to the registrar to be inherently adapted to distinguish or capable of distinguishing goods and services of the proposed undertaking from those of other undertaking. The registrars will then advice you accordingly.
- Fill in the application form with all the details information
- Submit the application form to the office of the registrar
- The registrar will then determine if your trademark is registerable and whether it conflicts with prior existing registration or application for trademark registrations
- Publication of application. If your application is accepted by the registrar, the application will be advertised in the official government gazette for 60days.
- If there is no opposition after the expiration of sixty days of the advertisement, the registrar shall upon payment of the necessary registration fees by you enter in the trademark register and issue certificate of registration of your trademark
Applicable for more information follow the links http://www.ursb.go.ug
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB)
Plot 5 Gorge Street, Georgian House
P.0 B0X 6848
Tel: +256-414-233-219 for URSB General Line
Tel: +256-414-235-915 for Registrar General
Fax: +256-414-250-712 General fax Line
Any person who sets up a business or other activities has an obligation to register with the Uganda Registration Service Bureau. It is mandatory for an individuals or companies to register their trademark in Uganda.
Step-1 Trademark Comprehensive Study
- 1 Class $140
- Each additional class $80
Step-2 Trademark Registration Request
- 1 Class $900
- Each additional class $850
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Step 1- Trademark Comprehensive Study
The maximum delivery time is five (5) business days
Step-2 Trademark Registration Request
The maximum processing time is Five (5) months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The Uganda Registration Service Bureau is a public sector agency in Uganda, created by law and ultimately accountable to parliament. The government of Uganda provides the legal and policy framework within which the Uganda Registration Bureau operates and provides the organization political support and legitimacy.
- Full name of the applicant
- Passport size photograph with a white background
- Address and signature of applicant
- Trade name proposed to be used
- The class of goods or services
- If the applicant is a foreign company , a power of attorney or form of authorization to an advocate of the High Court of Uganda will be sufficient
Need for the Document
The law provides that all business or other activities has to be registered in Uganda.
Information which might help
Timeframe of the trademark registration process is only an estimate and it may vary considerably if any objections and/or oppositions are presented, or other events occur during the trademark registration process
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- A trademark protects goods whereas service mark protects services of the registered user.
- It act as benchmark to your business activity
More information which might help people.