Uganda - Register a Birth
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
HOW TO APPLY
- Visit the National Identification Registration Authority (NIRA) with the required documents
- Approach the service desk and request for the application form , read through the instruction and fill it accurately : application from
- Submit the filled form with the required documents to the attending officer who will verify, process and register the birth through the (NIRA) computer system.
- For a birth that has occurred in a medical facility, a notification Record shall include a document duly signed and stamped by a Hospital Administrator or Superintendent.
- For a birth that has occurred in the community, a notification Record shall include a document duly signed and stamped by a Division- Town Clerk, Sub county – Sub county Chief, and shall have the following particulars of the event:-
- Date of Birth.
- Time of Birth.
- Registration Number.
- Name of child.
- Names of Parents
- Visit a Uganda Registration Services Bureau a government agency charged with recording births has engaged traditional birth attendants, at sub-county, parish and council officials as notifies.
- Provide the agent with all accurate information on the questions he/she will ask you about the child birth, on which he/she will enter into a mobile phones issued by the URSB and send the details of a newborn child as a text message to the central server at URSB offices in Kampala
- After verification and processing, a birth certificates will be printed at the sub-county and town council offices and signed by the registrars and sent to the registered persons at community level through parish chiefs and notifier.
- A birth Notification Record.
- A NIRA Birth declaration Form 3 complete and signed by one of the parents or guardian of the child.
- The National Identification Number (NIN) of Notifier.
- Photocopy of the National ID of the Notifier.
- Proof of Payment from a designated bank (if applicable)
Office Locations & Contacts
National Identification Registration Authority (NIRA)
National Independence Grounds, Kololo Airstrip
P.O.Box 26529, Kampala-Uganda
Tel(Reception): +256 312119600
For Inquiries on National Identification Registration
Call: +256 312119631/+256 312119639
For Inquiries on Birth, Death and Adoption Order Registration
Call: +256 312119601
For Inquiries on Public Relations
Call: +256 312119605
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 219
Registrar General: +256 414 235 915
Fax: fax Line: +256 414 250 712
- All children born in Uganda
- NIRA FEES: fee infromation
Birth registration Valid Forever but can particulars i.e. Names on the registration can be change by the applicants at a legal age or by parents/guardian
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Registration of birth is immediate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- The quest for a registration of a birth certificate begins at the place of birth with government and missionary hospitals issuing short birth certificates for any child born there.
- Those born in private hospitals and clinics have to go to the sub-county or division headquarters to get the short birth certificate.
- Those born in town council hospitals should get their short birth certificates from the town clerk’s office.
- Only the bureau based at George House has the mandate to give the long birth certificate, so anyone requiring one will have to go to their offices armed with the short birth certificate.
- Full names of the parents
- Date/place of birth of the child
- Gender of the child
- Time of birth of the child
- Registration number of the child
Need for the Document
- Registration of a birth of a child is mandatory, thus assists the parents to obtain the child’s birth certificate
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what other uses of obtaining this document/certificate are. E.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.