Uganda - Register Estates of the Deceased person
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Buy a file and death report form;
- Fill in all relevant information in the A.G.A Form;
- Take the file to a Legal Officer for Sanctioning;
- After the file is authorized to be opened by a Legal Officer, take it to the Registry a file number.
- The Registry officials will then give you a card indicating the file number and tell you when you should return to find out which legal officer will be handling your file. This is usually one to three days after the file has been given a file number.
- After the file is allocated to a Legal Officer, he or she will cause a family meeting to be held either in the offices of the Administrator General or through the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) of the district where the deceased person had his or her residence. The CAO may request the concerned Sub County or Parish Chief to hold this meeting.
- The Administrator General may request additional information if he or she finds that the meeting at Chief Administrative Officer CAOs office was not properly held or that it was not attended by all the concerned beneficiaries.
- During this meeting in number 7 above, the family is expected to nominate a person or persons to take over administration of the estate of the deceased person.
- Following the family meeting of all concerned beneficiaries, a certificate of No Objection will be issued within 28 days after the Legal handling the file has received the photocopies of identification documents of all the persons who attended the meeting; and the photographs of the persons who are applying for a Certificate of No Objection (intending administrators
- For all beneficiaries, including children who live outside Uganda, the Administrator General requires a Power of Attorney properly made and notarized in the country where the beneficiary lives. The beneficiary must indicate that he or she agrees with the process being undertaken in Uganda, Including the persons who are being nominated to administer the estate of the deceased.
- The Administrator General issues a Certificate of No Objection to the person(s) nominated to enable them apply for Letters of Administration in the relevant Court of Law.
- The Office of the Administrator General does Not Issue Letters of Administration.
- Attach a Death Certificate or Affidavit in Lieu of a Death Certificate.
- Power of Attorney
- Passport photographs
Office Locations & Contacts
Courts of Judicature
P.O. Box 7085, Kampala, Uganda
Telephone: +256 (0) 414 286823
The Justice Law and Order Sector Secretariat Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs
Plot 1, Parliament Avenue
Level 4, Queens Chambers
P.O. Box 7183, Kampala Uganda
Department of the Administrator General
Georgian House, Buganda Road
- Next of kin of the deceased, this may be a family member, relative or friend.
- Where the deceased nominated a bank, trust company or an attorney as executor in a will, that the family usually reports the death of the deceased to the nominated executor, who in turn then reports the estate to the Administrator General on behalf of the family
- A file and Death Report form: 2,000/= payable
- A Certificate of No Objection: 2,000/= payable
- A transfer of property In cases where the Administrator General is the administrator of the estate 1% of the.
- Making payment to a beneficiary of an estate being administered by the Administrator General 1% of the amount of money in the custody of the Administrator General
- All other fees and charges involved and necessary in the administration of the estate include but not limited to the following: Central and Local Government taxes, rates, and fees; Title registration fees; Charges for making Special and Substitute Certificates of Title in the Land office; Fees for land surveying, including opening of boundaries must be paid out of the estate or by the beneficiaries themselves in cases where the Administrator General is administering the estate.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
There is no specified time for registration of estate
- It takes a day to get form fill it in, submit and get a file number,
- After one (1) to three (3) days applicant returns to find out which legal officer will be handling your file. This is usually after the file has been given a file number.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Fill the necessary form to report death to the administrator general;
- Make sure you indicate the proper and correct names of the deceased person as they appear on the death Certificate or the land Title or Bank Account.
- Full name of the deceased
- Date of death
- Details of the deceases estate
- Details of beneficiaries
Need for the Document
The term estate refers to all the assets and liabilities which a deceased person leaves behind at his or her death. At death the estate of the deceased person is frozen, and no-one may withdraw funds from the deceaseds bank accounts or deal with any of the estate assets without the necessary permission from the Administrator General.
If the deceased was married in community of property, the joint estate is frozen. This situation often creates hardship for the surviving spouse, especially where the bank accounts were all in the name of the joint estate or in the name of the deceased.
In Uganda the Office of the Administrator General manages estates of deceased persons, who die without leaving a will, or where a will has been left but disputes arise in the management or distribution of the deceased persons property. If a person dies and leaves any assets or a will (or both), then his or her estate must be reported to the Administrator General after his or her death.
Information which might help
- The duty to report the estate rests on the surviving spouse (if any), alternatively on the nearest relative or connection who resides in the area where the death occurred.
- If there is no such relative or connection to report the estate, then the duty rests on the person who immediately after the death has control of the premises at which the death occurred.
- The Administrator Generals office also Institutes legal proceedings in Courts of law against intermeddlers, fraudulent administrators of deceaseds estates, unscrupulous relatives and others for the recovery of the deceaseds properties from wrong hands.
- The deceaseds ordinarily place of residence, and not the place where he or she died, determines where to report death.
- Fees and Cost including those awarded against the Administrator General MUST be borne by the estate or paid by the beneficiaries. The Administrator General DOES NOT CHARGE ANY FEES for holding family and other meetings at the offices of the Administrator General
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- It helps in an evenly distribution of properties of deceased persons to the beneficiaries of their estates and winding up of estates;
- Proper management of the interests or properties of minors and persons of unsound mind;
- Obtain legal advice on management of estates and on arbitrating in succession matters to resolve conflicts.
More information which might help people.