Wikiprocedure > Uganda

Uganda - Obtain a Single Status Letter (Certificate)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


This letter is issued to Ugandans wishing to have their marriages performed outside Uganda. The letter confirms that the applicant is single and has capacity to enter into a marriage.


  1. Visit the local Registrar of Marriages of your residential area with all the required documents and the recommended fees
  2. You will be interviewed by the register, and required to fill the application form and sign it for affidavit and pay the application fees
  3. The register will then verify all the information and if all the details are in order you will be issued with the certificate
Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • A recommendation letter from the LC1 chairperson of the locality where the applicant resides.
  • A photocopy of the applicant’s long birth certificate to prove parentage.
  • Proof of nationality for example a passport or national Identity card.
  • A registered statutory declaration from the applicants to prove that he/she is single.
  • A registered statutory declaration from the parent to prove that their son/ daughter is single

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Uganda Registration Services Bureau

Address :Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House
P.O. Box 6848 Kampala Uganda 
Phone: +256 414 233 219 ,Call center +256 417 338 100
Whatsapp: +256 712 448 448
Toll free: 0800 100 006 
Fax: +256 414 250 712


Posta Uganda Main office,
Kampala Road Booth 2 & 3.
UIA Offices, Twed Plaza (1st Floor) Lumumba Avenue.
Nakivubo – Sekaziga House Floor 1, Nakivubo mews.

Plot 3,
Park Crescent.
Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs

Plot 1,
Kamukuzi Hill Gulu 
Plot 6B Princess Road

Uganda embassy and consulate worldwide

Ads by Google


  • Ugandans wishing to have their marriages performed outside Uganda


  • Fees Payable: Ug Shs. 25,000/-


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

  • Immediately, if all the information is in order.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.

Ads by Google


Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name of the applicant
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Gender
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses
Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

  • This is a letter confirming one's marital single and not bonded by marriage

Information which might help[edit]

  • In order for non-nationals to marry in a foreign country you will most likely be required to produce legal documentation from your country of citizenship verifying single status and that you are free to marry. This is known as a 'Certificate of No Impediment', 'Certificate de Coutume', 'Certificate of Nulla Osta' or a 'Certificate of Freedom to Marry'.
  • The Bride & Groom to be married must provide from their country of Citizenship, individual Certificates of non-impediment or Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit, as proof that they are both indeed single and eligible to marry. This is also called an affidavit of single status or negative statement of marriage. This document can be obtained at the Bureau of Vital statistics in their city they reside.

other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

  • This document will most likely be required as a supporting document if you are getting married in a foreign country.
  • This document can also be required for employment in a foreign country.

External Links[edit]

Ministry of gender
Civil registration
Ads by Google
Ads by Google


More information which might help people.

Retrieved from ""