Uganda - Obtain a Recruitment permit of Migrant Workers
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The first step for the applicant of a recruitment permit to run and operate a recruitment agency, shall submit a written application together with the following requirements:
- A certified copy of the Articles of Incorporation or Partnership duly registered with the Registrar of Companies.
- Proof of financial capacity. verified income tax returns for the past one (1) year and a savings account showing a maintaining balance of not less than Uganda Shillings one hundred million (USh 100,000,000/=).
- A newly organized company, submission of savings account showing a maintaining balance of not less than Uganda Shillings ten million (USh 10,000,000)
- Proof of marketing capability.Job placement of not less than (50) vacancies at the time of placement of the application.
- Certification from Pre-Employment Services of the EEU on the existence of new markets.
- Proof of international connections via websites, emails etc.
- Clearance of all members of the Board of Directors, partners and proprietor of the applicant agency from the CID, EEU and other government agencies as the need may require;
The applicant on addition to the above document shall add the verified undertaking stating that the applicant shall;
- Provide to the Uganda migrant workers orientation on recruitment policies and procedures, terms and conditions of employment and other relevant information;
- Ensure that any Ugandan migrant workers recruited or deployed by them is qualified and holds the documents necessary for the job concerned;
- Ensure that contracts of employment are in accordance with the standard employment contract and other applicable laws, regulations and collective bargaining agreements;
- Ensure that Ugandan migrant workers are informed of their rights and duties under their contracts of employment and the articles of agreement prior to or in the process of engagement;
- Ensure that proper arrangements are made for UGANDAN MIGRANT WORKERS to examine their contracts of employment and articles of agreement before and after they are signed and for them to receive a copy of the contract of employment;
- Assume full and complete responsibility for all claims and liabilities which may arise in connection with the use of the license.
- Assume joint and solitary liability with the employer for all claims and liabilities which may arise in connection with the implementation of the employment contract, including but not limited to wages, death and disability compensation and their repatriation
- The application cannot be processed minus the above complete supporting documents.
Upon receipt of an application with complete requirements stated above, the Administration shall require payment of a non-refundable filing fee of Fifty thousand Uganda Shillings (50,000/=)for Internal recruitment agency and Hundred thousand Uganda shillings (100,000/=)for External recruitment agency respectively should be submitted as proof of payment thereof.
Within fifteen (15) calendar days from receipt of an application with complete requirements including proof of payment of the filing fee , the Administration shall evaluate the pertinent documents, inspect the office premises of the applicant and determine whether or not to grant the application. Denial of an application will result in the forfeiture of the filing fee.
Upon approval of the application, the applicant shall pay a Licence fee of Uganda Shillings five hundred thousand (USh500,000/=) and a Bank Guarantee of Uganda Shillings fifty million (USh 50,000,000/=) will be presented.
Upon the completion of all the verification exercise a permit shall be issued to the applicant and this permit is valid for two (2) years from the date of issuance unless sooner cancelled, revoked or suspended for violation of any Uganda laws.
Note: All applicants for issuance/renewal of Licence shall be required to submit clearances from the International Security Organization and Anti-illegal Recruitment Branch, EEU, including clearances for their respective officers and employees.
- Applicant must be registered, under the companies Act or Partnership Act of Uganda.
- If partnership, half of the partners must be Ugandans citizens.
- The partnership or company, must have a minimum of hundred million Uganda shillings as share capital.
- Must have a maintaining balance of Shs.10milion on the bank account (Bank statement).
- The applicant must not be engaging in business of a travel agency or sales agency of an airline company.
- The applicant must not be a political, religious or tribal organization.
- The applicant must show proof of international connections that will enable them place Uganda migrant workers.
- Members of board and officers of the company must have clearance letters by the Uganda Criminal Investigations Department - Certificate of good conduct from Interpol.
- Must provide verified financial statement, income tax returns for the preceding two years.
- Must provide the CVs of directors, board members and officers working in the company or partnership.
- Must submit proof of publication of notice in the newspapers of the application with the names of the partners, in corporators and officers.
- Must provide a bank guarantee of 50,000,000 to 100,000,000Ugsh.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Gender Labour and Social Development
Tel: +256 256414347854
Physical Address: Plot 2, Simbamanyo House, George St
Postal Address: P.O.Box 7136 Kampala, Uganda
Email Address: email@example.com Email this Agency
Website: Ministry of labour and social development
Operating Hours: Moday to Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (excluding weekends and public holidays)
- Ugandan citizens, partnerships or companies at least seventy five percent (75%) of the authorized and voting capital stock of which 51% is owned and controlled by Ugandan citizens.
- A minimum capitalization of Uganda Shillings one hundred million (USh100, 000,000/=) for a company or partnership agreement.
- Those not otherwise disqualified by law or other government regulations to engage in the recruitment and placement of Ugandan migrant workers.
- Internal recruitment agency - 200,000 Ugsh.
- External recruitment agency - 100,000 Ugsh.
- External recruitment agency - 500,000 Ugsh.
- Internal recruitment agency: (Category A - Agency recruiting skilled workers - 1,000,000 Ugsh).
- Category Agency recruiting unskilled/manual workers - 200,000 Ugsh.
Validity: 2 Years for external recruitment agency and 1 year for Internal recruitment agency.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Maximum Processing Time:1 Month.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Purpose of this permit is to regulate recruitment firms.
Failure of the Agency to Deploy a Worker:
- If the agency fails to deploy a worker within a period of one hundred twenty (120) days following receipt of the Rewritten order without valid reasons, such failure shall be a cause for suspension or cancellation of license or fine to the agency; and the agency shall return all documents at no cost to the worker.
- The Labour Act provides that a person shall not engage in the business of operating a recruitment agency, unless he/she is in possession of a valid recruiting permit issued by the Commissioner for Labour.
The following agencies are not qualified to engage in the business of recruitment and placement of Ugandan migrant workers:
- Travel agencies and sales agencies of airline companies;
- Officers or members of the Board of any company or members of any partnership engaged in the business of a travel agency;
- Company and partnership, when any of its officers, members of the Board or partners, of a company or partnership engaged in the business of a travel agency;
- Persons, partnerships or companies which have derogatory records, such as but not limited to the following:
- Those certified to have a derogatory record by the International Security Organization and External Employment Unit.
- Those against whom there is probable cause or primafacie finding of guilt for illegal recruitment or other related case exists.
- Those convicted for illegal recruitment or other related cases and/or crimes involving moral turpitude.
- Those agencies whose licences have been previously revoked or cancelled by the Administration for violation of External Employment Unit rules and regulations.
- Persons, partners, officers and directors of companies whose licences have been previously cancelled or revoked for violation of recruitment laws.
- Name of the private employment agency
- Physical address and premises where the business is to be conducted.
- Nature of employment
- Type of employment service
- Business sector in which it will be operating
- Information of the bankers and the account.
- Payroll system to be used
- Number of people to be employed by the office.
- Date of commencement of business
- Certificate of registration
- Articles and memorandum of association.
- Trading Licence
- Audited books of Accounts.
- Recommendations letters from at least three referees.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- No permit shall be transferred, conveyed or indirectly used by any person, partnership or company other than the one in whose favour it was issued.
- In case of death of the sole proprietor, and in order to prevent disruption of operations and so as not to prejudice the interest of legitimate heirs, the permit may be extended upon request of the heirs, to continue only for the purpose of winding up business operations.
- Transfer or change of ownership licensed to engage in Ugandan migrant workers employment shall cause the automatic revocation of the permit.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.