Uganda - Obtain a Permit to Establish Constituent College Affiliated to a Private University
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To obtain a permit to establish a constituent college affiliated to a private university, the applicant , shall make a written application to the National Council for higher Education
- The application should contain a memorandum of understanding between the institutions intending to enter into affiliation and in the form prescribed.Visit their website on the following Link
- The Act states that a private University may, with the prior approval of the National Council for Higher Education-
- Establish any college or institution as a Constituent College of the Universities;
- Declare a Private Tertiary Institution as a constituent college of the University.
- Establish a branch or campus of the University in any part of Uganda.
- This can be done by visiting the National Council for Higher Education Offices and obtaining an Application Form to establish a constituent college.
- Pick the application form to establish a constituent college , in addition to any other details that the National Council may in each case specify, attach the required documents as indicated in the sections of procedure of required document.
- An application for establishing a constituent college shall be in a prescribed Form and shall be accompanied by the prescribed fee of 2,000,000.
- You will be required to pay the appropriate application fees above and submit or attach the payment receipt together with application form.
- The National council for Higher Education Board on receipt of the application form shall evaluate it. In case it satisfies the National Council as to the progress of the constituent college and if it is in conformity with the prescribed institutional standards, the National Council shall appoint an Inspection Committee to inquire into the academic, administrative and social affairs of the proposed constituent college.
- If after consideration of the report of the Inspection Committee and other relevant matter, the National Council is satisfied as to the status of the constituent college, then ,it shall recommend to the university that the constituent college be accredited.
- However, if after consideration of the report of the Inspection Committee and any other relevant matter, the National Council is not satisfied with the findings, the National Council shall inform the University about the shortfalls in its expectations and give reasons for not recommending the constituent college.
- The Act further provides that the Inspection Committee shall submit to the National Council a report on the constituent college within a period of six months from the date of its appointment.
- The National council within a period of three months from the date of the recommendations submit the application and the recommendation to the minister. The Minister with the approval of the university, shall declare a constituent college in the form submitted by the applicant with the application to the relevant University and as soon as is practicable, by legal notice publish the constituent college in the Gazette and public print media.
- the name of the proposed constituent college and its proposal physical location;
- the name or names of the promoters of the constituent college ;
- the vision, mission, objectives and philosophy for which the constituent college is to be established;
- the proposed governance structure of the constituent college;
- the proposal human resources that will be required to operate the constituent college.
- The expected source of financial resources;
- The time table indicating the steps proposed to be taken towards the realization of the objectives of the constituent college.
Office Locations & Contacts
- Any private university with approval of the National Council for Higher Education intending to affiliate or proposing to establish and operate a constituent college in Uganda is eligible for this permit.
- Application for permit costs Ush. 100,000
- The License fee required to establish a constituent college is Ush. 2,000,000.
- The Validity period required to establish a constituent college is 2 years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Maximum Processing time is six months to one Year.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- The applicant should be a private tertiary institution affiliating with an established private university as a constituent college of the university under the Act.
- Full name
- Identity number
- Contact address and Phone number
- Business Plan information
- Audited annual financial statements or audited financial forecasts
- the name of the proposed constituent college ,
- the location,
- the mission and vision,
- the nature of the proposed constituent college and
- its proposed focal niche in the current Ugandan University System.
Need for the Document
- The permit signifies that the Constituent college has qualified to offer quality higher education recognized by the affiliated private university.
- The permit ensures quality of constituent college to meet the standards that have been set by the affiliated private University and to provide merit that is recognized internationally.
Information which might help
- All continuing students of an institution declared to be a constituent college of a University shall transfer to the constituent college for their studies without any further assurance and all subsequent recruitment of students to,and the conduct of courses of study in the College shall be made in accordance with procedures and standards set by the University.
- For any other matter relating to constituent colleges which is not provided for under this Act general regulations made by the National Council in that behalf shall apply together with any statutes made by the relevant University relating to its constituent colleges.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.