Uganda - Obtain a Hunting License or Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
All sport hunters entering Uganda have to obtain a hunting license and a rifle import permit prior to their arrival
HOW TO APPLY
- Application of the hunting license’s/permit is made in writing to the Executive Director, Uganda Wildlife Authority.
- Write a letter stating your request of the application and attach all the required documents and send them to the Uganda wildlife authority
- Upon receiving your request the Uganda Wildlife Authority will perform a thorough background check on the application and documents submitted.
- Visit the officers within one week after making the initial application of the license for authentication purpose ,if all the information are in order you will be issued your license/permit
The following documents are required for facilitation.
- Proof of payment of the prescribed fees.
- Proof that you are a professional hunter.
- Passport photo.
- Passport/ identification.
- Must be affiliated to a wildlife use right licensee.
- Foreigners must present valid work permits.
- Clearance by police to handle a gun.
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Wild life Authority
- Phone: +256 414 355000, +256 312 355000
- Physical Address: Plot 7 Kira Road, Kamwokya
- Postal Address: P.O. BOX 3530, Kampala, Uganda
- Jurisdiction: National
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website:Uganda wildlife
- Operating Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (Excluding weekends and public holidays)
- DirectionsView Directions
Uganda Wildlife Safaris Ltd.
- P.O. Box 70 513, Clock Tower 1098,
- Buziga Rise, Buziga-Kirundu Kampala, Uganda
- Phone +256-414-501-018
- Mobile +256-753-024-543
- Email email@example.com
- Web :Uganda wild life
- All local or foreigner of 18 years and above, sport hunters wishing to hunt in Uganda
- Licences/permit fees 1500 USD
The hunting licences/permit is valid for one year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Within 7 working days if all the information’s are in order.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
These game laws apply to wilderness hunting in Uganda and not ranch hunting which may vary.
- All trophy hunting to take place within the hours of daylight.
- Shooting from or within 50m of a motor vehicle (boat, aircraft) is not permitted. Vehicles must not be used to drive or stampede any animal.
- Use of radio communication system to locate any protected species is not permitted.
- Hunting with dogs is not permitted.
- Hunting with lights/flares/night vision equipment is not permitted, excepting certain species like bush pig and leopard.
- Hunting permits must be issued prior to the hunt commencing.
- A separate permit must be issued for each individual hunting client.
- Automatic and semi-automatic firearms are not permitted, as is the use of silencers.
- No shooting of immature animals or females with dependent young or are apparently pregnant.
- No minors (under 18 years) are allowed to hunt or handle firearms.
- Bow hunting is permitted in wilderness hunt areas.
- Full names of the applicant
- Gun permit licence
- Police clearance’s form
- Passport/ID card number
- Residential address of the applicant
- Phone number
Need for the Document
- Obtain a hunting licence/permit is a legal requirement for all sport gaming hunters who wish to hunt in Uganda as stipulated by the wildlife act
Information which might help
Suspension or cancellation of a licence.
- The board may, on the recommendation of the executive director, cancel any licence under this Part, if the licensee
- Is convicted of an offence under this Act;
- Fails to comply with any condition of the licence;
- Is not, in the opinion of the executive director, conducting the business for which the licence is used in a fit and proper manner, and the executive director shall immediately suspend the licence pending consideration of the cancellation under this subsection.
- The executive director shall notify the licensee in writing of any decision to suspend or cancel the licence and shall state the reasons for the decision.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Prohibitions against acts affecting protected species.
- Except as may be authorised by the conditions contained in any licence issued, any person who—
- For the purpose of or in connection with hunting or taking of protected species, possesses, prepares, makes, buys, sells or uses any poison, birdlime, trap, net, snare or similar substance or device capable of killing, capturing or wounding any protected species;
- Makes, prepares or uses any excavation, fence, enclosure or any device fixed to the ground or upon plants, capable of killing, capturing or wounding any protected species, commits an offence.
- The onus of proving that an act under this section was done lawfully shall lie on the accused person.
Prohibition on the use of fire.
- Any person who, for the purpose of hunting, taking or assisting another to hunt or take any wild animal or plant, causes any fire commits an offence.