Uganda - Obtain a Drone Flying Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Drone laws and regulations of flying drones in Uganda keep on changing on a daily basis but below are some of the guidelines one should follow while flying a drone in Uganda.
- The UCAA requires operators to understand and abide by regulations, including recreational or research uses of the Drone.
- Uganda CAA is Responsible for controlling Uganda Airspace for Civil aircraft operations including Drones.
- After purchasing the drone you need to obtain a Pilot flying permit before being authorized to operate it in Uganda space.
- The applicant need to submit the application to tripartite committee for authorization- through office of Chief of defence forces in Uganda. (CDF)
- You will need to submit the following documents:-
- Attach a valid passport copy
- Attach a National identification Card
- Attach UAS/Drone colored photo. Currently CAA handles only one type of drone which is VLOS ( Visual Line of Sight)
- Attach all the document and submit them to chief of Defence forces for general security evaluation.
- After the review exercise from CDF, the documents are forwarded to the National Special Force command committee for national security assessment. This committee include members from Military and president office.
- It will take close to 30 working days before review decision, security clearance and letter of no objection or objection are forwarded to UCAA.
- Once all the documents are cleared a letter of no objection will be forwarded to UCAA. The applicant can now proceed to CAA to apply for pilot flying permit.
- The applicant applies to CAA for an operation flying permit with the documents outlined in the required document section.
- Fully completed CAA authorization application form
- CDF Security clearance letter of no objection
- URA importation clearance for the drone
- Drone operations manual and specifications.
- Pilot’s drones training certificate or license and class III medical certificate (where applicable).
- Proposed Geographical location and map of the area of operations.
- A copy of third party insurance.
Office Locations & Contacts
- Resident [Ugandan]
- Resident [Foreigner]
- Ushs200,000 + 18% VAT
- Valid for 1 year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Processing time 3 months for your application to be processed
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Operations only in Uganda Airspace
- No operations near or in controlled Airspace e.g. Airports
- Minimal risk of hazards to persons, property or other aircraft.
- Constant positive control and observation (VLOS)
- Operations I.A.W relevant Operations manual.
- Communicate with local authority before use.
- Advise Air Navigation services before use
Organization Details (company operating the drone):
- Organization Name
- Type of Organization (private or government)
- Organization address
- Organization contact
- Name & contact number of accountable person
- Trade License No.
- Insurance details covering drone operations
- Date of birth
- Passport No.
- National identification card ID No.
- Visa No. (if applicable)
- Flying purpose in the Uganda (private/commercial)
- Type of Operations (survey/media/Entertainment/etc.)
- Area of operations (provide Google map coordinates)
- Max Height of operations:
- Is the operation during day time or night time?
- Drone Engine Type (fuel or electrical)
- Drone Manufacturer name
- Drone Serial number
- Drone weight with payload
- Drone weight without payload
- Drone usage capability (survey, media, Entertainment, etc.)
- Means of drone control (autonomous or radio controlled)
- Is the drone equipped with a camera?
- If yes, please provide camera details
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- Generally Drone are operated under the following conditions in Uganda;
- 120 metres/400 feet daytime VMC
- 30 metres from people
- 5.5 km from an aerodrome
- Outside controlled airspace
- Generally less than 25Kgs
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.