Uganda - Obtain a Certificate of Permanent Residence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicant to be granted a certificate of permanent residence must be registered at the Directorate of Citizenship and migration.
- Applicant must fill the form and attach documents which show ten (10) years of legal and uninterrupted residence which shall entitle that person to remain in Uganda for such period as is stipulated in the certificate.
- Submit the application form with the attached documents to the officer at the directorate of citizenship and migration.
- The directorate of citizenship and immigration shall review the application submitted and prove that the applicant:-
- has contributed to the socioeconomic or intellectual development of Uganda;
- has continuously lived legally in Uganda for ten years;
- is of good character and of proven integrity;
- has not defaulted in the payment of any taxes required to be paid by him or her; and
- has no criminal antecedents in Uganda or outside Uganda; and (in addition to the above)is not a bankrupt or destitute; or
- he or she is legally married to a Ugandan citizen and there is a subsisting marriage of three years or such other period as may be prescribed.
- If the board is satisfied with the documents and requirements, a certificate of permanent residence may be granted to the applicant which shall entitle that person to remain in Uganda for such period as is stipulated in the certificate.
- 3 passport size photos
- Copy of passport
- Copy of spouse
- Covering letter
- Fill form
- LC1 recommendation letter
- Marriage certificate copy ( at least 3yrs )
- Medical report
- Proof of ownership of property ( if any )
- Covering letter from applicant
- Proof of contribution to socio-economic/intellectual development of Uganda
Office Locations & Contacts
Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control
Head Office, Plot 75 Jinja Road
P. O. Box 7165 / 7191 Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 595945
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org Email this Agency
- Any Uganda citizen who acquires the citizenship of another country shall be eligible on application for the grant of a certificate of permanent residence
- Any Foreigner who is legally married to a Ugandan citizen and there is a subsisting marriage of three years or such other period as may be prescribed OR Any foreigner who stays in the Uganda illegally, if:
- regulations of Uganda law require personal appearance of a foreigner before a Ugandan public authority;
- exceptional personal situation of a foreigner requires his/her presence in the Republic of Uganda;
- if it is required by the interest of the republic of Uganda;
- Application Fees: Nil
- License Fee: 500 USD
Validity: One-off time
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Maximum Processing Time: 1 Month
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Purpose of the certificate is to provide legal residence and employment/investment in Uganda.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or Country of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
- The board may cancel any certificate of permanent residence obtained , if it is proved that the holder of the certificate conducted a marriage of convenience for the sole purpose of acquiring a certificate of permanent residence.
- The board may revoke any certificate issued under this section upon a finding that—
- the person holding the certificate has violated the terms of the certificate of permanent residence;
- the person holding the certificate has violated any of the provisions of this Act;
- the person has become a prohibited immigrant or
- the person has become an undesirable immigrant.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.