Uganda - Obtain Divorce Decree
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Draw a petition that clearly states the grounds for divorce
- You will then be required to serve the petition and the notice to appear in court to the respondent , either personally or through a post office
- The respondent may also file another petition to dissolve the marriage, and after the papers have been exchange, the registrar of court sets the date for hearing
- If the court is satisfied with the petition , marriage dissolution is granted
- The dissolution takes full effect after six months after which parties are allowed to remarry
- Marriage certificate
- A file petition
Office Locations & Contacts
High Court Uganda
P0 Box 2563
Tel: +256 414 345 786
Email : Info@hc.go.ug
In order for a party to be eligible for a divorce, the marriage must be recognized by the law and must have lasted at least three (3) years unless the circumstances are very exceptional
The fees are normally set by court depending on case by case.
The divorce is Valid for ever unless you again reconcile and remarry.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
This varies depending on the issues surrounding the divorce proceedings but it might take 3-4 years.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Read Divorce Act of Uganda Capt 249 to have a grasp of what is required before you can embark of the process to obtain a divorce decree.
Here below are some grounds for divorce.
- Incurable insanity (proof of failed treatment for at least five years)
- Wife or husband found guilty of rape ,sodomy, bestiality
- Seek further advice from an advocate on what is required to successfully launch a divorce petition (optional)
- You should have sufficient reasons to convince the court for a need to divorce, particularly if three years have not elapsed.
- You then present your case through a divorce petition which is supported by an affidavit
- Full name
- Proof of marriage
- File petition stating the ground for the divorce
Need for the Document
The Ugandan laws provide married couples with an option to opt out of marriage under certain circumstances which are clearly defined by the law. The legal process culminates in the acquisition of a divorce decree which allows parties to remarry
Information which might help
Draw a petition that clearly states the grounds for divorce
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Legal basis for remarrying.
More information which might help people.