Uganda - Importing Goods
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Obtain an import permit, if the types of goods require you to (food, drugs, chemical, agricultural products)
- The first thing you should do is to ensure that all goods to be imported meet Ugandan standards as prescribed by Uganda National Bureau of Standards
- Send information to the supplier clear describing the following
- Good description
- Technical specifications
- Delivery period
- Regulatory requirements
- Confirm that the goods are not on the prohibited list
- Check to make sure that the goods do not attract anti-dumping duties
- Determine the cost, organize funding, and obtain advice from your bank
- Discuss with the supplier, sign a contract and make payment as agreed
- Before the goods get in the country you should:
- Obtain the commercial invoice, packing list bill of lading, certificate of conformity
- Appoint a clearing agent who will compute the customs duty, transport charges and advice you accordingly
- Obtain the relevant quality certificates
- When the goods arrive, you should do the following:
- Process the goods through customs
- Obtain a release order
- Authenticate compliance certificate
- Pay transport charges, collect goods and transport to your premise
- Suppliers invoice
- Packing list
- Air way bill ( for imports by air)
- Commercial invoice
- Freight invoice
- Uganda revenue authority for 1 for motor vehicles
- Road transit customs document (commonly known as C63) prepared at seaport and entry port in Uganda
- Certificate of origin
- Railway consignment note (for import by rail)
- Bill of lading
- Trade license
- Release order certificate of compliance
- Import declaration form
- Declaration of customs value form
- Any other relevant documents.
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda National Bureau of Standard
Plot M217 Nakawa Industrial Area
P0 B0x 6329
Uganda Revenue Authority
P0 B0X 7279
Tel: +256417442054, +256414443150
Toll Free Help Line: 0800117000
Web portal: http://ura.ura.go.ug
Any person aged 18 years and above and legally residing in the country can import goods in to the country.
Charges vary depending on the goods, tonnage and cost of importation .
It is Valid for a long time.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Depending on the mode of importation and the distance between Uganda and the exporting country
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Familiarize yourself with the documentation and procedures required to successfully import goods into the country
- Familiarize yourself with the procedures pertinent to the kind of material you are importing in to the country
- Make sure you have a trade license
- Prepare the necessary documents, mapping out different steps involved in the importation process.
- A clearing agent can help you process all the necessary documentation
- Import declaration
- Content particulars
- Suppliers invoice
- Documented evidence carriage of goods
- Customs value declaration
- Compliance information
- Good release order evidence
Need for the Document
The process of importing goods in to the country can be hectic, especially for those who lack a clear understanding of the required document and procedures .Here is everything for you to know to legally process of importing goods into Uganda.
Information which might help
Get in touch with a clearing agent before you start the importation process to make thing easier.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.