Uganda - How to Obtain a Tax Clearance Certificate (TCC)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- There are two type of Tax Clearance Certificates (TCCs) namely:
- Annual Tax Clearance Certificate: issued once during the year of income to taxpayers who have complied with all their tax obligations. This certificate may be issued to only clients whose compliance has been monitored for at least three (3) years.
- Transactional Tax clearance: issued to a taxpayer upon application if the approving authority is satisfied that the taxpayer is complying with their obligations. It is addressed to the entity for which the facility was applied for and once submitted by the taxpayer to the third party (Addressee), the Transactional Tax Clearance Certificate expires.
In person application
- Visit the licencing authority office near to you with all the requirement and approach the services desk and request for assistance on how to obtain a tax clearance certificate
- The attending officer will then do a computer search on the URA data base and upon approval you will receive an email notification and attachment of the Tax clearance certificate
- Applications that are submitted during the weekend or after official working hours will be approved by the following day during working hours.
- Visit the URA web portal https://www.ura.go.ug/index.jsp and login to your account
- Under e-services, click on Tax Clearance Certificate. You can also follow the instructions provided in the following link which can help you complete the process : Instructions to Follow
- In the new tab that appears, select the type of TCC, either Annual or Transactional TCC If the application is for an annual TCC, capture the tax period for which clearance is required If the application is for a transaction TCC, you will be required to provide the following details
- Addressee details including the TIN, name, business name, contact number and email address
- Purpose for which the TCC is required
- Tax period to which the TCC relates (cannot be a past period)
- Click submit button after completing all the mandatory fields
- Upon submission, an acknowledgement receipt shall be generated to print a copy, and an email notification with the same details sent to your registered email
- URA will process your application and upon approval you shall receive an email notification and an attachment of the Tax Clearance Certificate
- Once you complete the Tax Clearance Certificate Application form online, the system assigns the submitted form to the verification officer.
- After verification is completed, the task is assigned to the approving officer who may approve or reject the application after considering your profile.
- Applications that are submitted during the weekend or after official working hours will be approved the following day during working hours.
- How do you track status of application?
- The acknowledgement receipt shall bare a reference number and search code to help the person track status of the application.
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Office Locations & Contacts
UGANDA REVENUE AUTHORITY
P. O. Box 7279 Kampala Uganda
Telephone (0417) 442054, 442055, 443150 Fax: (0414)334419
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web portal: URA
URA TOLL FREE HELPLINE: 0800117000
Persons (tax payers) who require TCCs include those:
- Providing passenger transport services
- Providing freight transport service where the goods vehicle used has a load capacity of more than 2 tons
- Providing ware housing or clearing and forwarding services
- Supplying goods or services to the Government or
- Who may wish to obtain certificates as evidence of their tax compliance
- Tendering process with the Government.
- Transferring funds abroad in excess of UGX 50 million.
- The process is free of charge
- Tax clearances certificate(TCC) is valid for one year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- URA will notify you about your application status within 2 working days after receiving all the necessary information.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Requirements for a person to be given a Tax clearance certificate (TCC)
- The registration profile of the tax payer should be up to date
- The tax payer should have submitted all the returns for the registered tax types
- For Non Individuals, the associated persons (directors or partners) MUST have submitted all their returns
- The submitted returns MUST be satisfactory
- All taxes due to must have been paid by the tax payer or there is a Memorandum of Understanding to pay in instalment
- Annual TCCs may be issued to taxpayers whose compliance has been monitored for at least three (3) years. In such a scenario, you will receive a notification on email with the attachment of the TCC or rejection notice
- For Transactional TCCs, the applicant and the addressee will both receive notifications with the attachment of the TCC or rejection notice
- Reasons for approval or rejection and a record of the consideration must be documented as provided for in the system
- Response to a TCC application made by a taxpayer must be made within 2 working days of receipt of the application
- TIN Number of the applicant
- Password of the applicant
- TIN of the addressee (optional)
- Email address, telephone number and name of addressee (mandatory if the addressee doesn’t have a TIN)
- Email address of the applicant(taxpayer)
Need for the Document
- The client receives a tax certificate from URA confirming that a person’s tax affairs are in order at the date of issuance of the Certificate.
Information which might help
How do you verify whether the TCC is issued by URA or is forged?
- Visit the URA website URA
- On the Home page under Tax Tools, click on Document Authentication
- Select the Document type from the drop down list as Tax clearance
- Enter the reference number as indicated on the tax clearance certificate Click on show details
- If the certificate is genuine, system will display details of the certificate else, it will give you feedback that “no Data Found” for documents that are not genuine.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.