Uganda - Applying for marriage certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
HOW TO APPLY
- The couple appear with two witnesses and all the required documents and the recommended fees before the Registrar who performs the ceremony
- The registrar then completes and the parties and witnesses then sign the certificate of the marriage in duplicate, and the registrar as in the case of a marriage by a minister, delivers one certificate to the parties and files the other in his or her office.
- The registrar of marriages in each district is required to register all marriages in a book to be kept for that purpose, and called "The Marriage Register Book".
- Within ten days after the last day of each month, every district registrar is required to send to the Registrar General a certified copy of all entries made during the preceding month in the Marriage Register Book and the Registrar General files the copy in his or her office.
- After, the customary marriage ceremony, the couple are supposed to appear with all the required documents and two witnesses before a sub-county chief of the area where the ceremony took place or the town clerk, if the marriage took place in a town or municipality
- A customary marriage certificate will be issued on payment of a fee. Thereafter, a copy of the certificate and a cover letter from the sub-county chief or town clerk, are brought to URSB offices for the marriage to be registered and entered onto the Marriage Register.
Religious marriage ceremony:
- After the registration of your marriage through the legally register authority, you will be issued with a marriage certificate which is to be signed during the wedding ceremony by the couples and the two witness for the wedding certificate to be legalized and recognized by the government and then sending a duplicated copy to the register for filling and recording purposes
- Original and copies of the Identity Cards or Passports of both parties.
- Complete Notice of Intention to Marry form
- In the event that either one or both parties are widowed, the Death Certificate of the departed spouse and a copy must be produced.
- In the event that either one or both parties are divorced, a Divorce Decree Absolute must be produced.
- Should the documents be in any language other than English, an official English translation must be attached.
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 219
Registrar General: +256 414 235 915
Fax: fax Line: +256 414 250 712
E-mail : email@example.com
Website:[ http://www.ursb.go.ug URSB]
Posta Uganda Main office,
Kampala Road Booth 2 & 3.
UIA Offices, Twed Plaza
(1st Floor) Lumumba Avenue.
Nakivubo – Sekaziga House Floor 1, Nakivubo mews.
Mbale – Plot 3, Park Crescent.
Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs
Mbarara– Plot 1, Kamukuzi Hill
Gulu – Plot 6B Princess Road
Arua – Plot 42/44 Packwach road
Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
P.O BOX 7279
Website:Uganda revenue authority
- All couples who have wed in Uganda
- URSB FEES:Fees
- A marriage Certificate Valid Forever until the couples decide to divorce
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- A marriage certificate is a document issued, either by a church or state authority, authorizing a couple to marry immediately after the celebration of a marriage by a minister, the officiating minister is required by law to complete, in duplicate, a marriage certificate
- Full names of both the couples
- Date/place of the marriage ceremony
- Full names of the witness
- Religion of the couple
- Residential address of the couples
- Date of birth/age of the couples
- Names of the couple’s parents
Need for the Document
- A marriage certificate is a legal document that joins two people who want to live with each other, for the entire life
Information which might help
- A marriage is defined as a formal union between a man and woman recognized by law by which they become husband and wife and creates legal rights and obligations to the spouses. No matter the form of marriage, it is mandatory for all marriage celebrants to register the marriages that they officiate over with URSB.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Marriage certificates are important in confirming marital status and for parents travelling out of the country with children to avoid child trafficking.
- A marriage certificate is a safeguard for spousal benefits like insurance, pension, citizenship, immigration, emigration, family resettlements as well as inheritance of estates upon the demise of a spouse.
More information which might help people.