Uganda - Applying for a Tax Return
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
1. Pick Tax Return forms from Uganda Revenue Authority .
2.You have to go through the meticulous process of having to fill one step at a time, make sure your entries are okay, make sure you at least copied down everything from your business records into tax form on the spread sheet . Because each calculation is connected to the next, each box ties to the next. At the end of this painstaking process you arrive at the final number - your refund or the tax you owe.
3. Next step - Find the right address to mail to if applying online or visit the offices of domestic tax at Uganda Revenue Authority. if you don't know Well its there, its probably in the instructions to the form.
4. Walk to to Offices of Uganda revenue Authority before 30th of June.
5. Assuming all is done well - your tax return will be processed by URA in about 2 business days.
6. Next your little piece of work, your tax return, will enter a queue until its routed to the correct department. lets give his a day for making this arduous journey. Next, It gets picked up to be scanned using sophisticated machines called optical scanners which converts your handwritten tax return into a readable computer file. Hiccup 1: If you hand filled your return with pen and paper, if the scanner can note recognize your handwriting - then the scanning process will reject - and then it would get put into another queue to be manually processed by a human - lets give 4 to 5 days for this to happen.
7. Someone will actually read your tax return and then type the contents manually into a computer. At this point your tax return is now a what is called a raw data file.
8. Now the raw data file will get run through an editing program which will verify the basic details - to detect any mistake, error or omission.
9. If everything is okay, Your return which is now computer file will then get put into a database along with millions of other tax payers. Your tax return will join thousands of others who e-filed their tax return at this point.
10.Next a series of computer programs will be run on the database to validate the tax returns. It will compare the data on your file against what you have filed.
11. If you pass all the steps , and you have a refund, you will be routed to a program that prints your refund check - give another 1-2 days for this process to complete.
12.If you elected direct deposit, a pay request will be sent to deposit the money into your bank account (1 day)
13. If you did not elect direct deposit, your refund check will go for printing (1 day). Then your refund will go to the mailing department to be sent to you (1-2days). After about (2-3 days) of spending time in the post office or wire direct to your account, the check should get to you - again via snail mail, the same way you mailed out your tax return.
- Person Identification Number (PIN)
- A national identification number, issued to all taxpayers of Uganda whose income is taxable.
Office Locations & Contacts
Postal Address :
P.O.Box 7279, Kampala
URA Headquaters: Plot M193/M194,
Nakawa Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 7279, Kampala
Phone: +256 414744000,
0800117000 (toll free)
Other offices: Kampala South located at Old Kampala Mosque,
Kampala North located in Bwaise (Mulago Kalerwe Round about
- All Registered Business earning an income with income above the threshold
- All professionals earning an income with Tin Numbers
- Any person who has income arising from.
- Profession/Business/Ownership of Property is supposed to file a tax return in uganda.
It can be obtained for free of charge
It is valid for only one year.
Documents to Use
Approximately 1 day
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Income Tax Return is a tax imposed by the Government of Uganda on anybody who earns income in Uganda. Any Individual or group of Individual or artificial bodies who/which have earned income during the previous years are free to Apply for Income tax return.
- Name and Address of the business
- Identification documents
- Birth and citizenship
- Identification documents
- Source of Business
- Reference for registration
- declaration and certification
- Additional information.
Need for the Document
You must file an income tax return if your income is above a certain level; which varies depending on your filing status, age and the type of income you receive in the year. You can seek the help of a professional or do it your self by visiting income Tax department.
- In this case, you need to file tax returns to claim a refund. However, its up to you whether you want a refund or not;
- it will not be a statutory offense if you do not claim a refund.
- Individuals and registered business in Uganda are free to apply for a Tax return by submitting statement of income and expenditure, assets and liabilities, and any information that comprises a complete set of financial statements for a given year of income.
- A return statement can be got by filing for tax return.
The tax form or forms used to file income taxes with the Internal Revenue Authority. Tax returns often are set up in a worksheet format, where the income figures used to calculate the tax liability are written into the documents themselves.
Tax returns must be filed every year for an individual or business that received income during the year, whether through regular income (wages), interest, dividends, capital gains, or other profits.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
According to the Income Tax Act, (CAP 340), one is hereby required to furnish the Commissioner at any URA office location with the Income Tax Return for Individuals. The declaration must be furnished within six months from the end of that year. Year of Income is a period of 12 months ending on June 30 of the following year. This return must provide a true and accurate accounting of your business operations for the period shown. Payment of any tax due is required at the time of filling and prior to the deadline.