Uganda - Applying for Work Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The applicant should pick Entry / work Permit forms from the immigration department at ministry of internal affairs.
- Submit all necessary documents
- Go to Cashier window (at Internal Affairs and get payment receipt.
- Take payment receipt (bill) to Diamond Trust Bank, Main Branch, on Kampala Road and make payment.
- Wait in line. Make payment.
- return after some hours to pick up receipt that acknowledges you made the payment. I
- Check with Min. of Internal Affairs to inquire if your work permit has been processed.
- If it is, you give them your passport and wait to be called for the permit
- Work permit form
- Attach Covering letter from company
- 2 passport size photos
- Photocopies of the passport
- Qualifications(in case of professionals)
- Registration with the relevant professional bodies for professionals.
- Appointment letter from the organization or body you intend to work for.
- Company's bank statement
- Uganda Investment Authority license ( where applicable )
- Articles and memorandum of association or constitution for NGOs
- Certificate of incorporation
- Income tax clearance(where applicable)
- Trading license(where applicable)
- Bank of Uganda Certificate of remittance of US $ 100,000(where applicable)
- Letter of good conduct from home country / Interpol in country of origin
- Security bond
Office Locations & Contacts
Directorate of citizenship and immigration control
Plot 75 Jinja Road
P. O. Box 7165 / 7191
Kampala - Uganda
Telephone contact: + 256 414 595 945
Fax: +256 414 348 707
Passport Control office: +256-414-342561
Legal Department: +256-414-232573
Immigration Department: +256-414-231641
There are different classes of work permits for Uganda
- A2 (Parastatal service) Applicants should be persons on Government contracts, including persons serving in Government tertiary institutions.
- Class B (Agriculture) Applicants should be persons intending to invest in the business of agriculture or animal husbandry.
- Class C (Mining) Applicants should be persons intending to invest in the business of prospecting for minerals or mining in Uganda.
- Class D (Business ) Applicants should be persons intending to carry on the business or trade in Uganda.
- Class E (Manufacturing) Applicants should be persons intending to engage in manufacturing business in Uganda.
- Class F (Professionals ) Applicants should be members of prescribed professionals intending to practice such profession in Uganda.
- Class G1 (Missionaries, NGOs and volunteers) Missionaries, NGOs and volunteers
- Class G2 (Expatriate employees) Expatriate employees.
- Class A2 (parastatal service) US$ 250 per year
- Class B (Agriculture) US$ 500 per year
- Class C (Mining) US$ 500 per year
- Class D (Businessman) US$ 1500per year
- Class E (manufacturing) US$ 500 per year
- Class F (Professionals) US$ 750 per year
- Class G (Expatriate employees) US$ 600 per year
- Class G1 (Missionaries, NGOs & Volunteers) US$ 250 per year
A work permit is valid for two years
Documents to Use
Between 1to 4 months.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Qualifying for a specific category of work permit for Uganda is all dependant on the industry that you intend to work in.The Immigration Department in Uganda has set out different Classes of work permits to make it easier for an applicant to define what Class he/she will fall under.
- Full name of applicant
- Profession / Occupation
- Place of birth
- Date of birth
- Colour of hair
- Colour of eyes
- Nationality of origin
- Present nationality or nationality Status
- particulars of appointment
- Business proposed to be undertaken in Uganda ..
- Interest in land in Uganda acquired*/for the acquisition of which permission has been obtained.
- Trade or business which applicant intends to carry on in Uganda
- Particulars as to licence (if a licence is necessary for carrying on the trade or business) in possession of*/obtained by the applicant
- Capital sum held in applicant's own right and at his full and free disposition
Need for the Document
A foreign national having an interest to work in Uganda should acquire a valid work permit/entry permit which is granted by the Ministry of Internal Affairs
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- work permit can be used to claim employment benefits in Uganda.
- It is also used to sign employment contracts and sue employees in case of breach of contract
More information which might help people.