Uganda - Applying for Work Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Gather and prepare the required documents in the category you are applying for
- Submit you application including prove of payment for the application to the Department of Immigration office.
- Once the application is submitted, it will be studied with the immigration officer to verify the information provided and make approval on your application.
- Then you will be notified electronically through your email address if the permit is read for collection after processing
Investor work permit
- An investor submits the application with all the relevant documents to UIA.
- At the UIA, the applications are evaluated and recommended by the Executive Committee.
- The evaluation process may require a visit to the project site to access investment on the ground and number of jobs (local and foreign) created.
- Upon approval by UIA, the application for a work permit will go to the Immigration Office,who in turn will grant final approval.
- Appeal/ Problem Cases
- An applicant whose application is rejected can appeal to the Minister of Internal Affairs. The appeal should be done within a period of one month from the date the applicant is informed about the rejection. Appeals are made to the Minister for Internal Affairs and a US$ 500 non-refundable appeals.
Office Locations & Contacts
Directorate of citizenship and immigration control
Plot 75 Jinja Road
P. O. Box 7165 / 7191
Kampala - Uganda
Telephone contact: + 256 414 595 945
Fax: +256 414 348 707
Passport Control office: +256-414-342561
Legal Department: +256-414-232573
Immigration Department: +256-414-231641
- A foreign national having an interest to work in Uganda
- A work permit is valid for two years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Between 1to 4 months.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
There are different classes of work permits for Uganda
- A2 (Parastatal service) Applicants should be persons on Government contracts, including persons serving in Government tertiary institutions.
- Class B (Agriculture) Applicants should be persons intending to invest in the business of agriculture or animal husbandry.
- Class C (Mining) Applicants should be persons intending to invest in the business of prospecting for minerals or mining in Uganda.
- Class D (Business) Applicants should be persons intending to carry on the business or trade in Uganda.
- Class E (Manufacturing) Applicants should be persons intending to engage in manufacturing business in Uganda.
- Class F (Professionals) Applicants should be members of prescribed professionals intending to practice such profession in Uganda.
- Class G1 (Missionaries, NGOs and volunteers) Missionaries, NGOs and volunteers
- Class G2 (Expatriate employees) Expatriate employees.
- Full name of applicant
- Profession / Occupation
- Place of birth
- Date of birth
- Colour of hair
- Colour of eyes
- Nationality of origin
- Present nationality or nationality Status
- particulars of appointment
- Business proposed to be undertaken in Uganda.
- Interest in land in Uganda acquired*/for the acquisition of which permission has been obtained.
- Trade or business which applicant intends to carry on in Uganda
- Particulars as to license (if a license is necessary for carrying on the trade or business) in possession of*/obtained by the applicant
- Capital sum held in applicant's own right and at his full and free disposition
Need for the Document
- A foreign national having an interest to work in Uganda should acquire a valid work permit/entry permit which is granted by the Ministry of Internal Affairs
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Work permit can be used to claim employment benefits in Uganda.
- It is also used to sign employment contracts and sue employees in case of breach of contract
More information which might help people.