Uganda - Applying for Electricity in Rural Areas
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The first thing to do is making sure that the place which you want to apply power for is well set; make sure things ranging from earthing to full wiring are done by an experienced electrician with a Certificate of operation from the distribution company ;
- Approach any nearest office of Electricity distribution company and get application forms
- Make all necessary payments (Survey fees).
- Attach a site map, proof of ownership, the wiring man certificate and as well as a general receipt.
- In about 3 5 days the Distribution company surveyor personal comes and inspects the place where power is to be supplied so as to determine whether everything was done in the way recommended.
- After a period between 1 week to 2 weeks upon the surveys inspection, the applicant will have to go to the Distribution company branch where he or she submitted his application so as to continue the process of making payment which may / may not include charge for a new pole.
- Upon payment, it will take a period of between 1 week to 2 weeks for one to have power installed to his or her place.
- One Passport photo
- Proof of ownership
- Tenancy Agreement (and a passport photo for the landlord)
- Certificate of completion of installation
- A sketch map to your premises.
Office Locations & Contacts
Tel: 031-2185185 (MTN); 041-4185185 (UTL); 075-2185185 (ZAIN); 070 -185185(WARID); 0800185185(TOLL FREE); 0800185186(TOLL FREE)
Plot No.10, Hannington Rd.
Tel: +256 -417- 802 000 | +256-414-233433/4
- Whoever owns a Building and need Electricity
- Who ever rent a building is eligible to apply for electricity as long as he / she has the required documents
Surveying / inspection
- Domestic Connection fees 41,300(UGX)
- Commercial Connection 47,200(UGX)
- Three Phase (UGX) 88,500(UGX)
- KVA Phase 118,000(UGX)
Capital Contribution fees
- No Pole Service 98,000 (UGX)
- One Pole Service 326,000 (UGX)
- Domestic Customers 100,000(UGX)
- Commercial Single phase 200,000(UGX)
Commercial Three phase 200,000(UGX)
As long as one pays out the outstanding bills, he or she possesses the right to have electricity.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
This varies depending on where the power applicant resides, for instance
It might take an average time of between 5 days to 2 weeks for the surveyor personal to come and inspect the place where power is to be supplied so as to determine whether everything was done the recommended way.
The applicant goes back after 1 week to 2 weeks upon the surveys inspection (according to how he / she is advise by an officer) to make payment after quotation is ready;
Availability of Quotation varies for instance:
For standard services, Customers will be given quotations within 3 days after receiving the application (No pole service and one pole service)
For non-standardized new services.
- 1 >LV Poles <5 for 1-phase - 3 days after receiving the application,
- 0 >LV Poles <5 for 3-phase - 3 days after receiving the application and LV applications with poles >5 (Scheme) - 5 days after receiving the application.
Upon payment, it will take a period of between 1 week to 2 weeks for one to have power installed to his or her place.
This also varies for instance for standard services Customers will be connected to supply within 3 days after payment (No pole service) and 5 days after payment (One pole services) and for non-standardized new services
- 1 >LV Poles <5 for 1-phase - 7 days after payment,
- 0 >LV Poles <5 for 3-phase - 14 days after payment and LV applications with poles >5 (Scheme) - 14 days after payment.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Get application forms and fill them accurately;
- Make all necessary payments;
- Attach all the required documents;
- Submit application;
- Full details of the applicant including phone contacts and addresses.
- In cases of tenants, details of the landlords are required.
Need for the Document
Electricity in Uganda is distributed by a distribution company contracted by the Government of Uganda.
Information which might help
Upon successful inspection and depending on the outcomes, the applicants application can either be accepted or rejected and when rejected, one will need to go back to procedure number one while if accepted, the next step will follow.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Electricity is very important because it enable us to use machines such as Television sets, ovens, air conditioners and fans which make our life easier and not only machines, but people need it to warm their homes in the winter, us it to power their forms of entertainment such as TV sets, or use the light electricity provides to move easily in the dark and do things when the sun has gone down.
Electricity also enable us to see easily during the night and when in dark places. Electricity is made by burning crude oil and other natural resources which are exhaustible., hence if not saved we will not have electricity in future.
More information which might help people.