Uganda - Apply for registration of death
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Obtain evidence of death to register your loved one for a death certificate.
- This can be obtained through the local health department, morgue or hospital where your loved one was declared dead.
- These three places will also be able to give you a form to register the death with Uganda Registration Service Bureau.
- Fill out the death certificate application completely, obtain a doctor or mortician's signature and return the form URSB in person.
- You must have a state- or government-issued identification and proof of relationship with the decedent when you file.
- Ask for a temporary death certificate to use for life insurance claims, cremation or burial purposes.
- Pay money in a bank of your choice and take the pyslips to Uganda Revenue authority for a long death certificate
A burial permit from the local authorities.
- Proof of registration of death from Hospital Administrator, Sub county Chief or Town clerk depending on the place where the death occurred.
- A state- or government-issued identification and proof of relationship with the decedent for the applicant
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 219
Registrar General: +256 414 235 915
Fax: fax Line: +256 414 250 712
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
P.O BOX 7279
E-mail : email@example.com
Death registration is compulsory and should take place within one month after death
- The national applications Uganda shillings 5000
- Foreign applications US $ 40
- Refugees: free
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
It can take up to six weeks for vital records to process a new death certificate before you can get a copy of it.
- Declarant registers the death with the Hospital Administrator, Sub county Chief or Town clerk depending on the place where the death occurred.
- Declarant will be issued with a short death certificate as proof of registration.
- Submit the short death certificate together with an identification card of the applicant and LC letter where the deceased resided in support of an application for a death certificate to our office.
- Pick assessment forms from the Uganda Registration Services Bureau and deposit the money in any bank of your choice.
- Return the pay slip after payment and wait for issuance of your long death certificate.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Death registration is regulated by the Birth and Death Registration Act Cap 309 Laws of Uganda and is administrated by the Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Information which might help
Forms to complete
- Bank payment slip
- assesment form from Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Short death certificate
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
A death certificate obtained at registration of death can be used:
- Life insurance claims.
- Cremation or burial purposes.
- Obtaining money saved with social security fund.
- Obtaining gratuity or retirement benefits
More information which might help people.