Uganda - Apply for registration of death
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
A registration officer in charge of a registration area shall register deaths and shall enter in the register, or cause to be entered, the prescribed particulars of every death notified.
HOW TO APPLY
Registration of death occurring in Uganda
- Visit the district area civil register office where the death occurred or where the deceased resided
- Inform the register officer of what has happen to the best of your knowledge and ability, give the prescribed particulars, which shall be entered forthwith by the registration officer in the register.notification of death
- You shall certify to the correctness of the entry by signing or affixing a mark on the register.
- The death shall be registered immediately it occurs and in any case, not more than three months from the date of that death.
NOTE : A death shall not be registered after the expiration of three months from the date of that death except upon the applicant complying with such requirements as may be provided for in the regulations.
Registration of deaths occurring outside Uganda.
- In case of a death occurring abroad, the person giving notice of the death should visit the National Identification Register Authority office (NIRA) or the district area Register officer where the deceased lived, with the following required documents
- certificate of death issued by the appropriate authority in the country in which the death occurred, with an English translation of the certificate, if it is not in English;
- where there is a Uganda Mission in the country in which the death occurred, a certification by an officer of the Mission that the officer is satisfied, from the evidence produced to that officer and inquiries which the officer has made, that the particulars of the death given are correct; or
- Where there is no Uganda Mission in the country, any other evidence as the Minister may prescribe in the Regulations.
- He/she shall certify in writing, to the registration officer, the correctness and authenticity of the evidence produced.
- Upon receiving the information required above the registration officer shall enter the particulars of the death in the register in the prescribed manner.
Registration of death in Uganda
Any Identification document for the Person reporting the death
Registration of deaths occurring outside Uganda.
- Death certificate
- Certification letter of the death occurred from either the Uganda embassy/consulate
- Any Identification document for the Person reporting the death
Office Locations & Contacts
National Identification Registration Authority (NIRA)
National Independence Grounds, Kololo Airstrip
P.O.Box 26529, Kampala-Uganda
Tel(Reception): +256 312119600
For Inquiries on National Identification Registration
Call: +256 312119631/+256 312119639
For Inquiries on Birth, Death and Adoption Order Registration
Call: +256 312119601
For Inquiries on Public Relations
Call: +256 312119605.
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 219
Registrar General: +256 414 235 915
Fax: fax Line: +256 414 250 712
E-mail : [email protected]
- The next of kin or the relative of the deceased present at the time of death of the deceased or dwelling or being in the same area as the deceased
- the occupier of the house in which to the person’s knowledge the death took place or an inmate of the house in which the death took place or any person finding or taking charge of the body of the deceased person or causing the body of the deceased person to be disposed of, in that order
- A medical officer if the death occurred in the hospital
- A officer of the law if the death occurred in a prison or an accident
- Registration of a death that occurred in Uganda is free of charge
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- Every death shall be registered immediately it occurs and in any case, not more than three months from the date of that death.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- Upon registering the death of your loved one, you will be issued with a burial permit by the issuing authority, you can then proceed with the burial arrangements
- The burial permit I required when apply for the death certificate
Regarding the deceased
- Name, Sex, Date of birth or age, Place of usual residence
Regarding the death
- Date of death, Date of registration, Place of occurrence, Cause of death, Certifier, Type of place of occurrence (hospital, home, etc.)
Need for the Document
- Registration of every death within Uganda is free and compulsory.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.