Uganda - Apply for registration of a marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Intending couple should appear in person to the Uganda Registartion Services Bureau before the Registrar of Marriages for an interview.
- The intending couple fills in a notice of marriage before a registrar and is given assessment forms to make payments at any bank of his choice.
- The couple can also make self assessment from the URA portal on www.ura.go.ug.
- The notice of marriage is pinned up on the registrars notice board for 21 calender days.
- If there is no objection to the marriage, the ceremony takes place between 21 and 90 days on Monday to Friday from 10 am to 4 pm.
- If there is an objection, a caveat is placed and the matter is referred to court.
- Proof of nationality for example a voters card, passport or national identification card.
- An LC 1 letter to prove residence in Kampala district for at least 15 days.
- A passport size photograph for identification.
- Marriage affidavits that conform with S.10 of the Marriage Act
- In case of foreign nationals, a letter from your Civil Registration or Vital Statistics Office confirming that the party is not married.
Where parties are between 18 and 21 years, they should in addition to 2 above submit:
- A birth certificate to prove parentage.
- A consent letter from the father or mother or legal guardian
- A photocopy of the identification of the consenting authority
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 219
Registrar General: +256 414 235 915
Fax: fax Line: +256 414 250 712
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
P.O BOX 7279
. E-mail : email@example.com
Website : http://www.ura.go.ug
Intending couples should be single, above 18 years and not parties to subsisting marriages
Fees payable: shillings 85,000
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Registration of marriages in Uganda is governed by the following laws:
Marriage act cap 251 laws of Uganda for the celebration of monogamous marriages
Customary marriage (registration) act cap 248 that makes provision for the registration of customary marriages
Hindu marriage and divorce act cap 250 that regulates the marriage of and provide for matrimonial causes between Hindus and persons of allied religions.
Marriage and divorce of Mohammedans act cap 252 that relates to the marriage and divorce of Mohammedans
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Forms to complete
- Bank payment slip
- Assesment form from Uganda Revenue Authority.