Uganda - Apply for registration of a marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Article 18 of the Constitution mandates the Government of Uganda to register all Marriages that occur in Uganda. The Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) is the Government Agency responsible for this function. URSB administers all the laws relating to marriage in Uganda.
HOW TO APPLY
- After, the marriage ceremony, the couple is supposed to appear with all the required documents and two witnesses before a sub-county chief of the area where the ceremony took place or the town clerk, if the marriage took place in a town or municipality
- Approach the service desk and inform the attending officer your request to register your marriage
- Fill in the registration form and you should all sign the form for affidavit, i.e. the couple plus the witnesses
- Pay the recommended registration fees
- A certificate of marriage will be issued on payment of a fee. Thereafter, a copy of the certificate and a cover letter from the sub-county chief or town clerk, are brought to URSB offices for the marriage to be registered and entered onto the Marriage Register.
- Proof of nationality for example a voters card, passport or national identification card.
- An LC 1 letter to prove residence in Kampala district for at least 15 days.
- A passport size photograph for identification.
- Marriage affidavits that conform with S.10 of the Marriage Act
- In case of foreign nationals, a letter from your Civil Registration or Vital Statistics Office confirming that the party is not married.
Where parties are between 18 and 21 years, they should in addition to 2 above submit:
- A birth certificate to prove parentage.
- A consent letter from the father or mother or legal guardian
- A photocopy of the identification of the consenting authority
Office Locations & Contacts
Uganda Registration Services Bureau
Plot 5 George Street, Georgian House
P.O.Box 6848 Kampala Uganda
URSB General Line: +256 414 233 219
Registrar General: +256 414 235 915
Fax: fax Line: +256 414 250 712
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Posta Uganda Main office
Kampala Road Booth 2 & 3.
UIA Offices, Twed Plaza
(1st Floor) Lumumba Avenue.
Nakivubo – Sekaziga House Floor 1, Nakivubo mews.
Mbale – Plot 3, Park Crescent.
Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs
Mbarara– Plot 1, Kamukuzi Hill
Gulu – Plot 6B Princess Road
Arua – Plot 42/44 Packwach road
Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
P.O BOX 7279
- Intending couples should be single, above 18 years and not parties to subsisting marriages
- Registration of a marriage is Valid Forever until the married couples decide divorce one another
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Valid marriage certificate has benefits such as the following:
- When filing for applications for a visa to travel abroad, passport, citizenship, change of name or divorce, the marriage certificate will be required.
- It allows one to share spousal benefits at work and in case of the demise of a spouse, their spouse(s) and children are able to benefit from the estates.
- Also, today many Ugandans have savings with financial institutions and other saving funds, including National Social Security Fund (NSSF). The savings may not be released by any bank or fund to a claiming spouse unless they produce a certificate of marriage certified by URSB.
- Full names of the couples
- Full names of the witnesses
- Date of birth of both the couples
- Date/place of the marriage ceremony
- Religion of the couples
- Type of marriage ceremony (traditional, customary, civil)
- Residential address/location
- Phone number of the couple
- Sign affidavit by the couple and witnesses
Need for the Document
- Registration of a marriage is very important in Uganda because it enables the government to recognize the marriage and the couples are able to access same of the government service benefits
Information which might help
- The law of the Republic of Uganda says a customary marriage between a couples should be registered with Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) before six months elapse. If a couple doesn’t register it, however, their marriage remains legally binding and acceptable.
- It is important for a customary marriage to be registered by the Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) for a couple to be able to reap benefits. Even if a man has more than one wife, they can all be legally registered.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.