Wikiprocedure > Uganda

Uganda - Apply for a permit for Filming and photographing a National Park and National Reserve.

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Filming in National Parks and National Reserves is guided by the Film and Stage Plays Act (Chapter 222)
Apply In-Person.

  1. All applicants for filming and phographing in National parks and National reserves shall produce a filming permit from the Uganda Wildlife Authority in person or through approved agent. This should be the first step in the application process. Visit Uganda Wildlife Authority for Pre-application advice on how to obtain a filming and photograph permit.
  2. The second step for all Applicants who are interested in Filming and photographing a National park or reserve in Uganda is to initial discussions with the filmmakers or photographers to agree on activities, a formal application and after these discussions application letter must be submitted using the UWA official application form only.
  3. The applicant must apply for a permit by sending their Application letter on the Following Address:-
    • Uganda Wildlife Authority.
    • Communications Manager at UWA Headquarters.
    • Plot 7, Kira Road, Kamwokya.
    • P.O. Box 3530 Kampala, Uganda.
  4. Uganda Wildlife Authority will acknowledge receipt of all applications within 24 hours and not later than 48 hours. All film requests must be sent in at least 3 weeks prior to start date of filming/photography.
  5. All film requests will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the various sensitivities and other commitments of the protected areas but with a flexible approach aimed at helping filmmakers/photographers meet their objectives.
  6. Upon production of a filming/photography permit from the Uganda wildlife Authority, and subsequent payment of prescribed filming fees, UWA shall issue a permit to film in National Parks and National Reserves under its jurisdiction. However, where a filming crew is large (more than 10 persons) and the filming activities are likely to have significant negative impacts on the environment, UWA may subject issuance of the filming authority to conditions it may deem fit.
  7. Applications for filming/photography shall be accompanied by a synopsis. If any title, sub-title, text, description, synopsis or other part of the film is in a language other than English, the licensing officer may require a translation thereof into English, certified to his satisfaction, or may submit then same for the examination and report of such persons as he may appoint for the purpose.
  8. Note that the filming fees do not include camping & park entrance fees or any service provided by the park management.
  9. All filming fees shall be paid upfront upon approval.
  10. Upon approval, the director shall subject the film maker to any conditions deemed necessary for better management of the film.
  11. All film producers shall report to the respective park warden before filming. And shall abide by all park regulations and rules.
  12. The licensing officer may, in his discretion, issue or refuse to issue a filming/photography license for which application has been made to him under this Act, or may issue it subject to the condition that a police officer of or above the rank of Inspector, or other person appointed for the purpose by the licensing officer, shall be present at the making of the film, and to such other conditions as he may think.
  13. Before granting a filming/photography license, the licensing officer may require the applicant to enter into a bond, with or without sureties in such sum (not exceeding such amount as is prescribed)as the licensing officer may require, to secure that the film, so far as it is made, is made in accordance with
    • the conditions (if any) contained in the license; and
    • the description, text and other information supplied to the licensing officer, with any alterations and additions for which permission has been granted under section 7 of this Act.
  14. The decision of the licensing officer on the application shall be endorsed on the filming license, and if permission is granted there shall also be endorsed any condition which is attached to the permission.

Required Documents[edit]

  1. A valid passport.
  2. Filming license.
  3. Rifle details.
  4. Filming pass.
  5. Filming equipment Details.
  6. Formal letter of application.
  7. Application form duly completed copy to be attached.
  8. List of foreign crew members giving names, nationalities, passport numbers and date of expiry of passports.
  9. Script and synopsis or storyboard
  10. List of equipment to be imported for shooting purposes, the value of each piece of equipment, etc.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) - Head Office,
Plot 7, Kiira Rd, Kamwokya,
Kampala, Uganda,
P.O. Box 3530 ,
Kampala, Uganda,
Tel: +256 414 355 000,
Fax: +256 414 346 291,
Email: [email protected],
Website: Link,


  • All Foreigners and Resident of Uganda with a Filming permit or license are Eligible.
  • Foreigner tourist must have a tourist visa


Filming charges

  • Less than 30 minutes 30,000 UGSHS
  • 30-60 minutes 40,000 UGSHS
  • 60-90 minutes 50,000 UGSHS
  • Over 90 minutes 70,000 UGSHS
  • Mountain Gorilla Permit filming fees $ 4000 while filming Bwindi impenetrable forest.
  • Chimpanzee Permit filming Fees $1050 in Kimbale Forest.
  • Each Member crew permit fee $700
  • Each free crew member must pay 40% of the Gorilla Permit each day.
  • Gorilla trekking permit $280
  • Uganda Wildlife Authority charges Ugsh.15000 per day to cover Liaison Officers services provided by a Government Liaison Officer, to be attached to the crew
  • The filming fees do not include camping & park entrance fees or any service provided by the park management.
  • All filming fees shall be paid upfront upon approval.


Valid for 3-6 months

Documents to Use[edit]

Application Form

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Maximum processing time 2-3 Months.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.


  • For all Arial shooting, approval must be granted from Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF).
  • Accreditation from Media Centre must be obtained before any filming can be carried out.
  • Any filmed or photographed material intended for news and current affairs should be cleared by UWA’s Public Relations Manager.
  • The filming crew shall be required to submit to UWA at least two DVD copies of the Programme as broadcast, to be supplied following the first transmission. UWA shall use these DVDs for educational and non-profit making purposes only.”

Required Information[edit]

  1. Name of the applicant (individual / Organization)
  2. Address (Postal)
  3. Telephone
  4. Physical location
  5. Date of incorporation
  6. Name of company
  7. Location of principal office
  8. Production / project title
  9. Type of production (e.g. Documentary, film, advertisement, feature film etc)
  10. Approximate date of showing
  11. Media channel
  12. Name of publication/TV channel/cinema
  13. Purpose of the film
  14. Names and role of each participant crew member (attach passport copies)
  15. Ugandan production company or any person or company in Uganda that will assist you during production.
  16. Type of equipment to be used.
  17. Approximate time for delivering two copies of the final production.
  18. The Filming license,
  19. The Filming equipment
  20. Information on special safari vehicles,
  21. The deluxe tents,
  22. Information on foods and drinks while in filming
  23. The transports and transfers during the Filming period,
  24. Information on reception services at arrival and departure at the Airport as well as all taxes for the Government explorers going with the Filming group.
  25. Packing and shipment of the trophies.

Need for the Document[edit]

  • The person applying for Filming permit in Uganda must apply in Person.
  • The applicant must apply for a Filming license in Uganda before involving in a National Park filming.
  • The applicant must obtain a Filming pass.
  • Where any film in respect of which a filming license has been issued is made in contravention of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, the producer, the proprietor, the promoter and the photographer thereof, and every other person engaged in the making of the film, and, where the holder of the filming license is not one of the aforesaid persons, the holder also, shall each be guilty of an offence.

Information which might help[edit]

  • In specialized activities such as mountain gorilla and chimpanzee filming, gorilla and chimpanzee permits are supposed to be booked in advance in order for filming to be guaranteed,From this that the actual fees and dates will be derived.
  • All National Parks in Uganda are under Uganda Wildlife Authority a semi-autonomous body in charge of serving wildlife in Uganda for future generation.
  • In order to film in any of the 10 National Park,one needs to enter into an agreement with UWA where a filming contract will be designed for the duration of filming.
  • Film Crew fixers Uganda assists Production companies in processing filming contracts which normally take 2-4 working days to complete.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]


More information which might help people.