Wikiprocedure > Uganda

Uganda - Apply for a Temporary Teaching Certificate for Non-Ugandan Citizens

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



  1. Important Notes for Applicants (Education service Commission (ESC) Does Not Accept In person applications).
    • The ESC Regulations (2013), mandates the Commissions to issue a Temporary Teacher Registration Certificate to a person who;
      • is in Uganda on recognized education exchange programmes or other international bilateral arrangements or
      • not having trained as a teacher but holds a relevant certificate issued to him/her under any law relating to education and training. Foreign teachers have the opportunity to teach in accredited primary and secondary schools in the Uganda.
  2. You should also make sure you have a scanned copy of a letter of clearance from Ministry of Education and Sports Vetting Committee if non-citizen. Therefore you should start by obtaining this letter of clearance.
  3. Also make sure your academic qualifications are equated by the Uganda National examination Board to verify that the match Ugandan standards.
  4. At times, individual schools may have their own requirements, depending on whether they are public, private, or follow a particular teaching methodology.

Apply Online

  1. For you to register for a temporary teaching certificate as a non- citizen in Uganda you need to first make an application for registration with the Teachers Service Commission to receive a number as a teacher.
  2. For you to make this application for a temporary teaching certificate as a non- citizen You have to visit the Education Service Commission Website and select option "Teachers online services" under menu "Online Services".
  3. This will direct you to the online registration platform
  4. Here click on option "Teacher Registration:- Non-Citizen", so as to register.
  5. This will take you to the next screen where you have to provide your personal details. Which include your
    • Passport number
    • Surname
    • Phone number.
    • URA PIN. the button “Next” to move to the next screen
  6. You will also be asked to make a declaration, if you are a trained teacher. After that click on “Next”
  7. In the next window you are supposed to give your education qualification details and upload the academic certificates. When you click “Add” on the right hand side, a screen appears where you choose the scanned documents and upload.
  8. Also upload letter of clearance from Ministry of Education Vetting Committee.
  9. Once you have uploaded all documents click “Next” to move to the next form.
  10. In the next page select the mode of payment you used to make the application, the pay in slip (Reference number) and the date you made the payment and click on save and finalize.
  11. You can later on check the status of your application on the same link.
  12. Once successful you will be issued with the certificate after a period of three months.

Required Documents[edit]

  • Copies of application form (ESC Form 3) in triplicate.
  • Attach one passport photograph on each application form.
  • Attach copies of all academic certificates and transcripts.
  • Attach copies of Registration Certificates (for teaching staff) and Enrolled nurses.

Non Ugandan Citizens

  • Academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Uganda or the country of origin.
  • Academic and Professional Certificates.

NB: Must have been awarded by an accredited foreign institution and equated by the relevant public body in Uganda

  • Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of origin
  • A valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
  • A valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of origin.
  • Vetting letter from the Ministry of Education in Uganda.
  • Prescribed fee
  • NB: All documents must be certified by either a ESC Director or ESC Sub – County Director.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Education Service Commission - Head Office,
Physical address:Farmers' House, First Floor,
Parliament Avenue,
Postal address: P.O Box 7196,
Tel: +256 414 - 342 347/ +256 414 - 234 563/
+256 414 - 258 473/ +256 414 - 346 723
Fax: 256 342 312
Email: [email protected]


Current ESC Minimum Academic and Professional Requirements

  • ECDE (early childhood education)Certificate.
  1. Minimum of PLE/UC plus UACE Certificate from UNEB (Uganda national examination council).
  2. Minimum mean grade D+ (plus) at O Level and UACE Certificate from UNEB.
  3. Minimum mean grade D (plain) at UTE, UNEB proficiency certificate, ECDE Certificate from UNEB Diploma“Or equivalent”
  • Diploma
  1. Mean grade C Plain at UACE and ECDE Certificate from UNEB.
  2. Mean grade C+ (plus) and above for University Diploma.
  3. Degree
  4. Mean grade C+ and above“Or equivalent”
  • PTE (Primary Teacher's Education)
  1. Minimum grade C Plain in UACE and above.
  2. PTE Certificate from Teacher Training Institutions.
  3. Mean grade of C-(minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons“Or equivalent”
  • Diploma in Education
  1. Minimum grade C Plus in TTC and above and C+ (plus) in the two subjects specialization
  2. Minimum grade C Plain in TTC and above.
  3. At least C plain in English
  4. C (plain) in Mathematics for Science based courses
  5. D+( plus) in Mathematics in non-science based courses

“Or equivalent”

  • Diploma in Education for visually and hearing impaired
  1. Minimum grade C Plain in UACE and above.
  2. At least C minus in English
  3. C (minus) in Mathematics for Science based courses
  4. D( plain) in Mathematics in non-science based courses

“Or equivalent”

  • Bachelor of Education
  1. Minimum mean grade C+ (plus) and above or its equivalent.
  2. C+ (plus) in two subjects of specialization“Or equivalent”
  • Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
  1. Minimum grade C Plus in UACE and above and C+ (plus) in the two subject’s specialization.
  2. Post graduate diploma in Education (PGDE)“Or equivalent”


The fees payable in respect of Temporary teaching certificate shall be determined by the Education service commission at the District Level from time to time and shall depend on, among other things, the type temporary teaching work available.


  • Validity: According to period specified on the Permit.
  • Validity: Per consignment

Documents to Use[edit]

Application Form

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Maximum processing time 24 hours.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.


Any person who engage in teaching business without a valid teaching permit commits an offence.

Required Information[edit]

  • Name of the Applicant
  • Address of the Applicant
  • Academic and professional papers.
  • Date of appointment.
  • Signature of applicant.
  • Description of the available teaching job.
  • Contract No. and Date
  • Contract Specification
  • Registration Number.
  • Indicate whether it is a temporary contract or permanent

Need for the Document[edit]

Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate? 

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]


More information which might help people.